The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Newer Newer Official WWE/TNA thread.

marleau_12

13 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

If they knew about this beforehand and took the title off of him because of this, I'd be a little concerned because of what that could possibly mean. Especially with the Raw Main event inserting him back into the title picture right afterwards, and Battleground happening technically after his suspension is over.

Like if they only booked him to lose because of this suspension, that could mean they didn't have actual faith in Ambrose, and would still like to default back to Roman soon, and the such.

But whatever the case may be, Raw will be immensely easier to watch for the next 4 episodes, and I am incredibly glad for that.

Hopefully this does knock him down a peg or two in the pecking order when it comes to booking and all.

Seems like the WWE always had Rollins above Reigns. I also don't think WWE has much faith in Ambrose and just used the money in the bank to make it about the same old Rollins vs Reigns vs Ambrose storyline, seems they only see Reigns and Rollins as main eventers

9 hours ago, MayRayDown said:

Seems like the WWE always had Rollins above Reigns. I also don't think WWE has much faith in Ambrose and just used the money in the bank to make it about the same old Rollins vs Reigns vs Ambrose storyline, seems they only see Reigns and Rollins as main eventers

They definitely did not have Rollins above Reigns. Even after the suspension, I still think they don't. Reigns was booked even a tier above Cena since the end of 2014. The only thing that has held him back is the massive apprehension from the negative crowd reaction, and even that hasn't held him back much.

You may be right that they don't have true faith in Ambrose, but he is also the most over guy not named AJ Styles that they have. They're probably at least giving him a small go of it. Hopefully it's not too small. 

I know the Shield vs. Shield matchup is starting to feel very old-ish at this point, but they still haven't had a true triple threat rivalry yet, with them all going head to head. It's primarily just been Ambrose vs. Rollins. 

21 minutes ago, Madness said:

Rumoured PPV schedule for the rest of the year. Raw and SD event each month except WM, Rumble, SummerSlam and Survivor Series months. 

http://www.wrestlinginc.com/wi/news/2016/0622/612938/major-wwe-pay-per-view-changes-revealed-for-the-upcoming-wwe/

image.jpeg

I like that Survivor Series is being treated like a major 4 PPV in a formal sense, being for both brands, and seemingly being 4 hours long. And that Survivor Series being in Toronto means they're actually trying major shows north of the border again, for once.

It wasn't too long ago that they were thinking about doing away with the Survivor Series PPV altogether. Glad that's changed.

Looks like Night of Champions has been retired though, for some reason. Unless I'm missing something. Maybe it's pushed to a different point next year, or something.

Looks hilarious having PPVs be 2 weeks apart. Can't imagine that I'll be following both brands on a regular basis, as it looks to be too much to handle. 

4 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

I like that Survivor Series is being treated like a major 4 PPV in a formal sense, being for both brands, and seemingly being 4 hours long. And that Survivor Series being in Toronto means they're actually trying major shows north of the border again, for once.

It wasn't too long ago that they were thinking about doing away with the Survivor Series PPV altogether. Glad that's changed.

Looks like Night of Champions has been retired though, for some reason. Unless I'm missing something. Maybe it's pushed to a different point next year, or something.

Looks hilarious having PPVs be 2 weeks apart. Can't imagine that I'll be following both brands on a regular basis, as it looks to be too much to handle. 

it was like that in the 2000s

Clash of Champions replaces Night of Champions. Similar names so they're going with this one. 

PPVs  every two weeks is a lot. 

Big concern : Raw can't fill 3 hours weekly now and they expect to do it with half the roster?

Edited by Madness

8 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

it was like that in the 2000s

Probably was to a large extent, but I would be willing to bet that none of those years did more than what this schedule would pace them to do.

2 minutes ago, Madness said:

Clash of Champions replaces Night of Champions. Similar names so they're going with this one. 

Big concern : Raw can't fill 3 hours weekly now and they expect to do it with half the roster?

But I don't think Clash of Champions was much about the Champions. But I wouldn't know from memory, as I think they were largely done with them by the time I started watching WCW properly. 

1 hour ago, Madness said:

clash of champions was an old wcw ppv back in the 80s and early 90s?

you'd think two ppvs a month seems like a lot, but if they're exclusive to raw and smackdown, thats fine. i'm a network subscriber so that doesn't bother me a whole lot. i'll check out smackdown and see where that goes. if it's consistently good then i'll tune in to their ppvs, if smackdown sucks, then i'll just stick with the raw content and its only 1 ppv a month, because i won't care enough about smackdown.

i like how smackdown gets the old ppv names like no mercy and backlash-- now if only they can have cool stage setups from back then...

they way they have stuff booked now, it only seems like they can't fill 3 hours. they can since theres already such a large talent pool, you only have so much time to feature everybody. i'd like to see longer womens matches, and not these throw away 4 minute **** finish matches. i see the draft helping the lower-mid card guys and ladies more story opportunities.

the world title and womens title, maybe the us title stays on raw. you can have the IC title highlight smackdown and maybe even bring back the cruiserweight title since wwe's doing the cruiserweight special on the network, which i'm highly excited for, and have the tag titles on smackdown

my only question is how the world title picture will look. i wonder if you can have a smackdown guy challenge for the world title, if wwe's keeping the heavyweight title as the sole championship. i dont see a point in bringing back a "b" world title for smackdown

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/4pevix/won_wwe_originally_planned_to_book_aj_as_low_on/

A story from Dave Meltzer, stating that when AJ Styles debuted, the WWE planned to use him as a lower card wrestler, who would have to work his way to the mid card. They only changed their mind when they saw his consistent reaction, along with the pop when he debuted.

... Lol. Just, lol.

I mean, I remember when I heard about these signings, I was talking about how they had to use them well right off the bat, title reigns and all. Well, within that context, at least he got the shots that he did (even if he's getting buried in back to back feuds.)

But what I take away from it all is that it's not even just that Vince is losing more and more of a grasp on how modern wrestling works, or that he thinks his fans are idiots, he also rarely truly understands the talent that he has at his disposal. Actually scratch that, that was already evident too. Lol.

8 minutes ago, g_bassi13 said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/4pevix/won_wwe_originally_planned_to_book_aj_as_low_on/

A story from Dave Meltzer, stating that when AJ Styles debuted, the WWE planned to use him as a lower card wrestler, who would have to work his way to the mid card. They only changed their mind when they saw his consistent reaction, along with the pop when he debuted.

... Lol. Just, lol.

I mean, I remember when I heard about these signings, I was talking about how they had to use them well right off the bat, title reigns and all. Well, within that context, at least he got the shots that he did (even if he's getting buried in back to back feuds.)

But what I take away from it all is that it's not even just that Vince is losing more and more of a grasp on how modern wrestling works, or that he thinks his fans are idiots, he also rarely truly understands the talent that he has at his disposal. Actually scratch that, that was already evident too. Lol.

it was most likely triple h's influence on aj's push. when aj signed, he knew that he would have to work a lot harder, because he brought it up on austin's podcast, i'm a smaller guy and i need to work a lot harder, and he has no problems doing that. he's fully aware of how the wwe machine works, but he's built such a reputation over his career, that the "wwe universe" doesn't not know who aj styles is

aj was never "buried" not even close. yea, he jobbed to reigns, but thats what he was brought in for. the company felt that styles was a guy who could carry roman to one of his best matches, and austin himself stated that aj styles did just that, and thats what happened

we can hate roman reigns all we want, but aj styles gave roman the best match(es) of his career

it's no different than when wwe dipped their foot in the waters of dean ambrose. you saw aj's reaction at the rumble, but then you saw the reaction dean ambrose got when it was down to him vs. triple h. after that, it was only a matter of time. wwe couldn't deny the reactions he was getting week after week. ambrose was a guy that was, if you want to use the term "buried" in the mid card and had to work his way up. hes a guy who the fans can relate to, and you saw that when he arrived on raw in a taxi cab. it's just little things like that to look out for. he's a guy who knows the fans and i'm pretty sure that he has some creative influence on the character he has

aj styles is no different-- a near 20 year vet who understands how things work and his intention on going to wwe, was to prove them all wrong that he can be a main event player. he had a title program with reigns and now a program with john cena. even if styles ultimately loses against cena, who cares? aj styles is at the chris jericho level where it won't hurt his legacy at all if he jobs a few high profile matches

7 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

aj was never "buried" not even close. yea, he jobbed to reigns, but thats what he was brought in for. the company felt that styles was a guy who could carry roman to one of his best matches, and austin himself stated that aj styles did just that, and thats what happened

we can hate roman reigns all we want, but aj styles gave roman the best match(es) of his career

He still did the job. He was supposed to show that Roman was superior. AJ is the best wrestler in the world, of course he gave Roman the best matches of his career. That is irrelevant to me. 

Buried is a strong word, but he showed up to lose at Wrestlemania. Then lose back to back to Roman. Now after a dirty win, he's going to do the job back to back to Cena. That's the cap on his current status. 

7 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

aj styles is no different-- a near 20 year vet who understands how things work and his intention on going to wwe, was to prove them all wrong that he can be a main event player. he had a title program with reigns and now a program with john cena. even if styles ultimately loses against cena, who cares? 

I do. If his entire purpose is to just show up and lose to the WWE's Supermen, Month in and month out, then I will stop caring for him, just as I did the others who had that same responsibility over the last decade.

I can say my mind would change once he finally gets that world title, and even that only seems potentially likely because they're going back to making two of them.

He almost seems a little too popular for them to ignore at the moment, which is nice. They were totally content on never giving Daniel Bryan his reign until he was at AJ Styles' level, and then some, and their hand was finally forced.

I will continue to be cynical until the WWE proves otherwise. I think the only time over the last 5 years where the WWE has booked a good title change, and did so entirely of their own volition, was probably giving Dean Ambrose the title this week. And it turns out even that might just be a temporary fix because their Golden Boy got a steroid suspension. (Maybe Ziggler in 2013 as well, but I wasn't watching WWE at the time).

it was a really sucky raw. the only thing going on that i remotely care about right now is new day's program with the wyatts. not a fan of them treating ambrose's run right now as second fiddle to reigns and rollins. could have just kept the title on rollins and have dean cash in at summerslam, but does it in advanced, as the way to set up the triple threat -__-