The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 3.0

"I wouldn't be so sure that the Canucks will be the powerhouse that they were the last two seasons, nor would I be so sure that Florida would be in the position that you're assuming they'll be in."

Curious - you seem to be claiming that Florida won't need Luongo because they will be able to compete without him, despite the improvements of their competitors in their division. Funny thing is that in your endless complaints about signing Garrison, you resorted to calling the Panthers a pathetic team as part of your argument attempting to devalue Garrison's role on the top pairing - remember... utterly unimpressive given how pathetic that team is. Clearly you've done an about face on the Panthers. Care to explain?

And honestly, where are they weak? Where? Cammalleri should help with their scoring, as should Hudler. That'd be their only area of weakness, that I'd see, prior to those two guys arriving. I don't know what'll happen to Calgary, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them as a playoff team, win the division, or even finish dead last. They're a total wild card.

I hear so much talk of the Canucks core aging, and here you are pumping the tires of a team whose goaltender is 36, and whose captain is 35 - far and away their best two players. How's their window doing king? And for all your whining about Garrison, look what they just threw at Wideman, and watch how those two guys do comparatively.

You want to talk comparatively, look at their careers:

-GARRISON: 190 GP, 23 G, 59 P

-WIDEMAN: 535 GP, 67 G, 251 P

So, on what basis, besides speculation, can you reasonably suggest that Garrison's going to perform so much better? Age difference, BTW: about 1.5 years.

Your points are mostly fair (except for Bouwmeester, who's very, very good), and you might be right. My point is that I'm not confident in either opinion on Calgary. They could go either way. On paper, and on a 1-year time horizon, I don't see a lot of weakness. Olli Jokinen sucks, and they might be better without him. Cammalleri is a good player, Hudler's a good player, Baertschi excited a lot of people in the city. Wild card.

Seriously, the contradictions here vis-a-vis Jason Garrison are hilarious.

Jason Garrison is only in the NHL because he worked for cheap enough ($675K cap hit) to be attractive to a team like the cash-strapped Florida Panthers, who gave him his shot - and then went on to let him walk in exchange for Filip Kuba.

Jason Garrison has played 1/3 the games that Dennis Wideman has. Jason Garrison has 1/3 the goals that Dennis Wideman has. Jason Garrison has 1/4 the points that Dennis Wideman has. Jason Garrison has never exceeded Dennis Wideman in points in a single season - not even in his "breakout" year!

Yet, somehow, in some way, Dennis Wideman's contract is "an overpayment" that "could get ugly", but, somehow, some way, Jason Garrison's contract is just terrific, even the signing of the year! EXPLAIN THIS CONTRADICTION AND LACK OF LOGIC IN THIS!

I'd sure take him on the Canucks, wouldn't you? I'd certainly take Bouwmeester if Calgary's considering dumping him. Heck, they can have Ballard, Booth, Malhotra...there's a fair share of trash on this team that they can take off of our hands, if they want.

But I'm pretty sure that they wouldn't want to!

Inexplicable lack of production aside, Bouwmeester still plays 25:57 per game, ranking him 6th in the entire NHL. His 5 goals that you mention is still more than Hamhuis had last season, as well.

I'd sure take him on the Canucks, wouldn't you? I'd certainly take Bouwmeester if Calgary's considering dumping him. Heck, they can have Ballard, Booth, Malhotra...there's a fair share of trash on this team that they can take off of our hands, if they want.

Inexplicable lack of production aside, Bouwmeester still plays 25:57 per game, ranking him 6th in the entire NHL. His 5 goals that you mention is still more than Hamhuis had last season, as well.

I guess in the end I've simply come to wonder why King of ES cheers for Vancouver, when every move this team makes infuriates him, every player is overrated/overpaid, and every other fan is below him.

Honest question to the King: what about this team DO you like?

I guess in the end I've simply come to wonder why King of ES cheers for Vancouver, when every move this team makes infuriates him, every player is overrated/overpaid, and every other fan is below him.

Honest question to the King: what about this team DO you like?

Seriously, the contradictions here vis-a-vis Jason Garrison are hilarious.

Jason Garrison is only in the NHL because he worked for cheap enough ($675K cap hit) to be attractive to a team like the cash-strapped Florida Panthers, who gave him his shot - and then went on to let him walk in exchange for Filip Kuba.

Jason Garrison has played 1/3 the games that Dennis Wideman has. Jason Garrison has 1/3 the goals that Dennis Wideman has. Jason Garrison has 1/4 the points that Dennis Wideman has. Jason Garrison has never exceeded Dennis Wideman in points in a single season - not even in his "breakout" year!

Yet, somehow, in some way, Dennis Wideman's contract is "an overpayment" that "could get ugly", but, somehow, some way, Jason Garrison's contract is just terrific, even the signing of the year! EXPLAIN THIS CONTRADICTION AND LACK OF LOGIC IN THIS!

Archived