The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RANT] People who find stuff and don't return it

Dazzle

Yes. One way or another, we were once stoked to have that item and due to carelessness or deliberate theft, it is now gone, happily taken by those who have no qualms with that. Some people who take stuff actually CAN afford it - like that now-fired TSA employee in Florida that tried to take an ABC Ipad, tried to lie that that he had it THEN tried to lie how he obtained it.

Amazing.

I've had 2 of my iPod's stolen/not returned.

My first one was taken after it fell out of my jacket while watching a school basketball game. I was new at the school and was told the name of the person who took it. I had no idea who the person was, but they were not going to give it back. Apparently they smashed the screen, cleared everything on it and continued using it just so there was no way I could prove it was mine.

I lost my second one last year at my current school. This one, I'm not so sure about. Either it fell out of my pocket while I was getting out of my car, or it was this sketchy guy walking behind me who picked it out of my pocket. Even if it did fall out of my pocket, no one bothered returning it. If it was the sketchy guy who picked it from my pocket, he's a complete dick. My jacket was stupidly made which made my iPod stick out of my pockets. I never bothered confronting him, so I guess it's my fault at the end.

As rattled as I was to lose both of them, they were both my fault. Losing an iPod won't ruin my entire life.

I'll probably get a new iPod at the end of this month anyways lol.

While a lot of people may just keep what they find, there are still some out there that actually do the right thing. My little brother once came home after losing his wallet on the bus. I drove him to the bus station in hopes of finding the bus he lost it on. That proved fruitless and we went home empty handed. And hour later a stranger knocked on our door and returned my brother's wallet complete with the forty dollars he had inside. We invited him for dinner as we were just about to eat. He gracefully declined and went on his merry way.

Not something that was stolen but I heard this story on the radio yesterday:

A poor garbage man was cleaning out an old house. He found wads of cash. Instead of keeping it (remember, he doesn't have very much money) he returned it to the family that had lived there.

Just thought I'd share that.

I'd like to share my experience from the other side...the guy that found a phone and tried to return it. A bunch of years ago when i was in my early 20's, I was with some friends at a bar like most 20 year olds do. A fight broke out and in the mass confusion as we all scattered I came across a cell phone sitting on the ground, I picked it up and before I knew it we were getting cabbed out of the pub and back home.

With all the intentions of returning this phone, I scowered through the contact list and sent text messages to some contacts on the phone advising them I found the phone and I had intentions to return it. not long after I got a phone call back from a guy that was quite upset I had the phone, calling me a thief among other things. (turns out it was the girl who owned the phones boyfriend) I scheduled a time to return the phone once the guy calmed down,(cooler heads prevail) and we met. He showed up with 3 other guys who were very standoffish and the girl. I handed over the phone, amidst being called a thief again to my face. No thank you, nothing.

Granted, I would not hesitate to do the same thing again if I found a phone or anything else of value for that matter. I feel most people that find things just are too self centered to have to deal with giving it back to the rightful owner. This is a me me me society, most people have very little regard for others. (Not saying all, theres definately some great people out there)

Anyways that's my 2 cents on an experience I had years ago.

Dropped my then-new Nokia N95 on the the number 20 Hastings bus. I knew I wasn't going to get it back, but called Lost and Found anyway. As I suspected, it didn't turn up.

Found a wallet at UBC in Woodward and promptly returned it to the library front desk. I don't really see the point of keeping someone's wallet (assuming you were a dishonest person). The cards of of no use to you.

I `found a plain envelope no name nothing When I was about 13 with $100 in it so i kept it and split it with my brother as we were together just walking on a bike path.. found someones wallet once so I turned it in to Police station think the guy who it was gave me $10 or 20 for finding it.

Seems like a fitting thread to say "do to others what you would have them do to you".

If you've lost something, wouldn't you want to get it back? Now if the person knows how it feels to lose something valuable to them, and they know that they would like to get it back when they lose something, they should also be able to sympathize with the person who lost something and, upon finding the item, should try their best to return the lost item to its owner. In this thread though, it seems to be more like "do to others what's good for yourself".

2 stories:

I was at EXPO 86 and they had the Space Shuttle ride (like the Pirate Ship) that went in a big loop - the full 360 degrees. My family was sitting in front of it and some guy's money clip fell out of his wallet. It didn't stay together, so it was literally raining money off to one side and (I was a kid at the time) we were running around catching it. Great fun.

Of course we gathered up what we could and returned it to the guy whose pocket it fell out of as it was several hundred and his cash to spend on his family (my parents wouldn't have let us keep it if we tried anyways).

The other story was when I'd had my kit bag stolen from the side of a field in New West during a rugby practice. A few guys had their bags swiped and of course we were out on the field running with only our rugby gear on so it was our wallets, keys, clothes, etc. I got a call awhile later on during the big week where Surrey does the annual spring cleaning and one of the guys hired to do the extra work had picked up a bag that had a number of wallets and ID left in it - one of which was mine.

I'd already replaced my ID and wasn't rich at the time so had no money after doing so, but drove out to his house where he happily returned my ID. I'm sure he would have liked a small reward for his efforts, I just didn't have it, but I appreciated his help even after I'd replaced my IDs.

I found a wallet before with 120 cash in it and all the IDs the first thing that came into my mind is if I lose my wallet id be freaking out so id want the person to do everything in their power to return it.. I opened the phone book and some how found the guy and everything and rang him up and he came and picked it up he was so thankful to, even gave me 20 bucks lol just cant have a bad conscious.

Archived