Canucks Community

Rate the Last Game You Played

Hat Trick Maker

Game: Mario Kart 8
Genre: Kart Racer
Platform: Wii U
Year: 2014
Developer: Nintendo EAD & Bandai Namco Games

Graphics: 9.5/10 - beautiful true HD (1080P 60FPS) in all modes, with amazing little details poured into the backgrounds, the racers themselves, and all the animations. things you don't even notice until you watch the replays/highlights.

Gameplay: 10/10 - as far as Kart racers go, MK sets the standard and it's been perfected. Not really sure how you'd improve on it. some people might miss the arena battle modes, but I've never been a fan of them so they don't play a factor in my rankings.

huge tracks, inverted racing, flying, underwater, it has it all.

Story: 0/10 - story? what story?

Music: 9.5/10 - beautiful music throughout, different and varied as the tracks they represent, and perfectly matched to the levels.

Multiplayer: 9.5/10 - 12 player online racing, 2 player offline (splitscreen only, no separate screen options for one player playing on the gamepad and one on the TV. a real oversight, IMHO) 2 players can go online from the local machine, and while there are a couple lag issues every now and then when playing against worldwide competitors online they are usually masked pretty well and you rarely notice it.

Overall 9.5/10 (not an average of the above categories)

Game: Mario Kart 8

Genre: Kart Racer

Platform: Wii U

Developer: Nintendo EAD & Bandai Namco Games

Graphics: 9.5/10 - beautiful true HD (1080P 60FPS) in all modes, with amazing little details poured into the backgrounds, the racers themselves, and all the animations. things you don't even notice until you watch the replays/highlights.

Gameplay: 10/10 - as far as Kart racers go, MK sets the standard and it's been perfected. Not really sure how you'd improve on it. some people might miss the arena battle modes, but I've never been a fan of them so they don't play a factor in my rankings.

huge tracks, inverted racing, flying, underwater, it has it all.

Story: 0/10 - story? what story?

Music: 9.5/10 - beautiful music throughout, different and varied as the tracks they represent, and perfectly matched to the levels.

Multiplayer: 9.5/10 - 12 player online racing, 2 player offline (splitscreen only, no separate screen options for one player playing on the gamepad and one on the TV. a real oversight, IMHO) 2 players can go online from the local machine, and while there are a couple lag issues every now and then when playing against worldwide competitors online they are usually masked pretty well and you rarely notice it.

Overall 9.5/10 (not an average of the above categories)

So no battle modes? Are there other modes or is it just the racing?

Game: State of Decay

Genre: 3rd-Person Open World Zombie Survival (Action, RPG, Simulation)

Platform: PC

Year: Nov. 5th, 2013

Developer: Undead Labs

Rating: 5/5

I just have to give this game a perfect score. It's the perfect kind of zombie game.

Nice that game is absolutely amazing. For an xbox live arcade game, it was really good.

Game: Watch Dogs

Console: PS3

Genre: open world/RPG

Developer: Ubisoft

Rating: 6.5/10

Over hyped game with redundant graphics and game play and a story we have heard seen and played many times over..

worth a play but not near what i claimed to be.

Game: Watch Dogs
Genre: Sandbox, Open-World
Platform: Everything
Year: May 27, 2014
Developer: Ubisoft Montreal

My Rating: 6.5/10

Loved the game at first, but there was too much hype and the game was marketed to be the "GTA game next gen doesnt have". It was fun in it's own way, but got boring really fast. I found the controls really odd. (RT runs, the joystick reloads, and the camera wasn't that great.)

Playing it more the car physics were awful and found that a lot of the time my car would demolish other cars or go right through them. But if they were cops, legit no vehicle in the game can knock them or prevent you from being knocked. Not even an SUV or Truck.

Just saw the person above me posted right before I did about the same game. Didn't even know that was there as the post was made when I was typing out mine.

6.5/10 each lol.

As soon as GTA5 remastered was announced, I traded in WD and GTA 5 to get Mario Kart 8. I plan on buying GTA5 when it comes out later on in the year.

So no battle modes? Are there other modes or is it just the racing?

there's a battle mode, but it takes place on the normal tracks that have been slightly altered. There's no more arena's/Battle specific maps. it makes it hard to find people sometimes, and most people lament this.

there's a battle mode, but it takes place on the normal tracks that have been slightly altered. There's no more arena's/Battle specific maps. it makes it hard to find people sometimes, and most people lament this.

To me that sounds like fun. Thanks :)

The Wolf Among Us - 9/10

Finished the final episode last night. If I hadn't read most of the comics (still getting through them), I probably would have given it a perfect 10. However, I'm assuming the reason why I rated it the way I did was also because I played Bigby completely different then the way he is in the comics. I immediately started over and am now laying him as he is in the comics.

Unlike Telltale other franchise "The Walking Dead" (the first season anyway), it is very clear throughout the series and especially in the end that you will have a different ending, depending on your choices and how you play Bigby.

The ending was terrific as well. Left so much open to what the player interprets. Immediately I thought, I cannot wait until their next chapter in the franchise, so we can see what happens next. However, if Telltale goes by the Fables graphic novels, they might just leave this as a standalone chapter, revisit it in the future, but have the next game have the player play as one of the dozens of other Fables that were not introduced this time around: Prince Charming or Boy Blue come to mind. However, based on Jack (Jack and the Beanstock's) brief appearance in this last chapter, my money is on him as either the next playable character OR central to the next chapter, as a deal was made with him in episode 3 or 4, but was never revisited; unless, of course, my choosing of how I played Bigby resulted in not finding that out this time around.

Long story short, worth playing. Or just read the novels.

The Wolf Among Us - 9/10

Unlike Telltale other franchise "The Walking Dead" (the first season anyway), it is very clear throughout the series and especially in the end that you will have a different ending, depending on your choices and how you play Bigby.

I can seriously appreciate this if it is true. I hated that more than anything about the Walking Dead game. Made it feel like a giant waste of time. When this thread was bumped the other day, it was amusing to see my year and a half old rant on the game, but I still hold all I said true.

I dunno how to research how true the variableness of The Wolf Among Us myself without running into spoilers. But I feel the need to double check somehow.

Tomb Raider - 9/10 (XBOX360)

Picked this up Saturday for $13. Not finished it yet, but pleasantly surprised how much I'm enjoying this game. Great interpretation of Lara and, so far, an interesting origin story. But man, does she take an absolute sh*t kicking throughout this game.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, this is exactly why I won't be purchasing a PS4 anytime soon (if ever). Already have a 360 and PS3, and there were so many great games released for this last generation, that it would take me years to get to through the ones that were rated highly. So many games I bought used/cheap that I have yet to play or play much of, simply because there is always something else:

- Skyrim: logged way too many hours into this; and yet, still didn't finish.

- Dragon Age Origins: Played about 6 hours of it when it first came out, life got in the way, never got back to it

- Fall Out New Vegas: Have yet to play it

- Just Cause 2: Played roughly 3 hours of it

- Dishonored: played about 2 hours of it

I'm sure I have more, but these are the first that come to mind. Was very close to picking up Sleeping Dogs for $13 over the weekend, opted for Tomb Raider instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, next game I want to pick up on Steam (will only be the 2nd Steam game that I will have played) is The Escapists. Check out the trailer/description. Looks pretty sweet. Long story short, 8bit prison game where you have 25 years to breakout of prison. Not released yet, but soon.

Archived