The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Walking Dead Thread

PlayStation

On 16/12/2016 at 3:39 PM, Darth Kane said:

We don't know that.  Negan's group is much bigger so I'm sure there are some that are up there with Rick's group while others that are like cadets.  

I don't think Rick is the best fighter, if not for Michonne he would have been killed by the Governor.  

Really? remember when Carl was being pinned down...Rick's 'fight for your life' skill s are up there.

This season has been very hard to watch because its very dark and because the premier hurt a lot, however, I don't agree with all the people who suddenly don't like the show because its 'violent' or because the heroes aren't winning. I don't agree with all the hate everyone is throwing at the show in regards to the 'bottle' eposides either, yes its a bit more dark, and yes sometimes it seems slow pace but we needed to feel what the characters feel. We needed to have this slow pace to introduce all the new communities and we also needed to know just how powerful Negan is. If they would have Rick ready to fight right after the premiere it wouldn't feel realistic at all, it wouldn't have led to so much character development which like or not we actually need. I think now the 2nd half of the season will be really more action packed and now majority of our heroes are reunited (though I am worried about Eugene). I think alot of people will be happy about the 2nd half and really if you have invested 7 years into a show why would you suddenly stop watching because the 'bad guys' are winning more. It just doesn't make sense. 

• 1 month later...
On 2016-12-18 at 1:50 PM, AppleJack said:

This season has been very hard to watch because its very dark and because the premier hurt a lot, however, I don't agree with all the people who suddenly don't like the show because its 'violent' or because the heroes aren't winning. I don't agree with all the hate everyone is throwing at the show in regards to the 'bottle' eposides either, yes its a bit more dark, and yes sometimes it seems slow pace but we needed to feel what the characters feel. We needed to have this slow pace to introduce all the new communities and we also needed to know just how powerful Negan is. If they would have Rick ready to fight right after the premiere it wouldn't feel realistic at all, it wouldn't have led to so much character development which like or not we actually need. I think now the 2nd half of the season will be really more action packed and now majority of our heroes are reunited (though I am worried about Eugene). I think alot of people will be happy about the 2nd half and really if you have invested 7 years into a show why would you suddenly stop watching because the 'bad guys' are winning more. It just doesn't make sense. 

I watched season one, or most of it, and the plot included finding a cure for the zombie disease.  They lost that part of the plot, which is too bad.  Otherwise it's just Zombies, and people fighting for no purpose. 

11 hours ago, Alflives said:

I watched season one, or most of it, and the plot included finding a cure for the zombie disease.  They lost that part of the plot, which is too bad.  Otherwise it's just Zombies, and people fighting for no purpose. 

The purpose is to stay alive. It might be a terrible world, but life is life.

51 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Finding a cure was central to the plot in season one.  Where did that purpose go?  

out the window when they found out the zombies wernt their main worry..I mentioned this before...the zombies became secondary when they started running into all these groups that wanted to kill them..more story lines available this way I guess..the zombies are just a speed bump in the show now...groups like the Saviours are major roadblocks..cant say as I am disappointed ...you can only kill zombies so many different ways.

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

Finding a cure was central to the plot in season one.  Where did that purpose go?  

Its kind hard to find a cure when the CDC pretty much blew up..and all the goverments of the world pretty much shut down.

And they did revisit this plot idea with Eugenes lie about having a cure... ans how that lie effected those around him....Did you conviently forget these things??? 

6 hours ago, AppleJack said:

Its kind hard to find a cure when the CDC pretty much blew up..and all the goverments of the world pretty much shut down.

And they did revisit this plot idea with Eugenes lie about having a cure... ans how that lie effected those around him....Did you conviently forget these things??? 

I only watched season one.  when there was no longer interest in discovering a cure, I lost interest.  Season one was great though.

10 hours ago, Alflives said:

I only watched season one.  when there was no longer interest in discovering a cure, I lost interest.  Season one was great though.

If you never seen the other seasons how can you really judge the rest of the seasons?

In season 4  and 5 the cure storyline is revisted with Abe, Rosita and Eugene's introduction into the group.

The story just cant focus on one possible storyline aka the cure they need to focus on many ideas. Yes the majority is about surviving in a world without morality and dealing with other groups but to me that is interesting. In season 4 they also focused on flu/sickness running rambent in less then hygine living conditions and I found it very interesting but wouldnt want a multi season show dedicated to it. They  have addressed the cure idea already and Perhaps later they will re-touch on the idea of a cure in the last season but for now I like how the show is going.

Personally I think Judith and the other babies/children born after the zombies took over will be the 'cure'.

Untill this happens I am content on seeing how the group continues to survive in this world.

47 minutes ago, AppleJack said:

If you never seen the other seasons how can you really judge the rest of the seasons?

In season 4  and 5 the cure storyline is revisted with Abe, Rosita and Eugene's introduction into the group.

The story just cant focus on one possible storyline aka the cure they need to focus on many ideas. Yes the majority is about surviving in a world without morality and dealing with other groups but to me that is interesting. In season 4 they also focused on flu/sickness running rambent in less then hygine living conditions and I found it very interesting but wouldnt want a multi season show dedicated to it. They  have addressed the cure idea already and Perhaps later they will re-touch on the idea of a cure in the last season but for now I like how the show is going.

Personally I think Judith and the other babies/children born after the zombies took over will be the 'cure'.

Untill this happens I am content on seeing how the group continues to survive in this world.

Interesting that new borns could be the way to a cure.  You have peeked my interest.  I think I will watch on Sunday.

Focusing on a cure would be dumb. You'd only be able to cure people who are still alive. What about the millions of undead already out there? Even if you get rid of them, there's still the issue of rebuilding society and the gangs of thugs.

Besides the show isn't about the zombies. It's about human reaction to an extreme situation. The zombies are just a plot device.

12 hours ago, taxi said:

Focusing on a cure would be dumb. You'd only be able to cure people who are still alive. What about the millions of undead already out there? Even if you get rid of them, there's still the issue of rebuilding society and the gangs of thugs.

Besides the show isn't about the zombies. It's about human reaction to an extreme situation. The zombies are just a plot device.

Zombies are a tad more than a plot device. Did this apocalypse occur because gas went above $2 a liter? Or because Hootie and the Blowfish reunited and went on tour with the Spin Doctors and Nickelback?

No, the apocalypse occurred because a plague struck that decimated the world, and turned most of the human population into reanimated cannibalistic corpses. Take the zombies out of the show, and then tell me that they are just a plot device.

On 2/14/2017 at 1:26 AM, Alflives said:

They've been kinda busy trying to stay alive plus the finding a cure bit was pretty much killed off when Eugene admitted he lied.

13 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Zombies are a tad more than a plot device. Did this apocalypse occur because gas went above $2 a liter? Or because Hootie and the Blowfish reunited and went on tour with the Spin Doctors and Nickelback?

No, the apocalypse occurred because a plague struck that decimated the world, and turned most of the human population into reanimated cannibalistic corpses. Take the zombies out of the show, and then tell me that they are just a plot device.

The main story is about human interactions in extreme situations. If you're in it for stories about zombies, it's probably not the show for you.

6 minutes ago, taxi said:

The main story is about human interactions in extreme situations. If you're in it for stories about zombies, it's probably not the show for you.

So why isn't the extreme situation a war, natural disaster, or alien attack? Sorry, your reasoning doesn't add up. The "situation" facing these people is very much ingrained into the story in a way that it affects the setting, the tone, and overall arc of the series.

Take out the zombies, and the title is pointless, even though it refers to the protagonist as much as the ever present antagonist. Yes, characters like the Governor, Gareth and the Termites, and Negan are far more engaging and alive, but even they are in the positions they are in, because the world is crawling with the dead bent on skin eating.

It has affected how they act and behave, how they have lost their humanity, how society has crumbled.

But please do try again.

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So why isn't the extreme situation a war, natural disaster, or alien attack? Sorry, your reasoning doesn't add up. The "situation" facing these people is very much ingrained into the story in a way that it affects the setting, the tone, and overall arc of the series.

Take out the zombies, and the title is pointless, even though it refers to the protagonist as much as the ever present antagonist. Yes, characters like the Governor, Gareth and the Termites, and Negan are far more engaging and alive, but even they are in the positions they are in, because the world is crawling with the dead bent on skin eating.

It has affected how they act and behave, how they have lost their humanity, how society has crumbled.

But please do try again.

You need a continued threat that stops society from functioning and rebuilding.

The reason why zombies work in this case is that the zombies have no intelligence, yet are always somehow just there to keep this threat going without being totally random. Even in the world of zombies, the Walking Dead makes no sense. How do the zombies keep moving years on without any food? That defies the laws of thermodynamics. The zombies are rotting yet a single knife into any part of their skull destroys their brain? 

The zombies here just provide an ongoing plot device to keep the conflict between people going. This show has far more in common with post-apocalypse Mad Max style set up than any other zombie movie. No one really cares what happens to the zombies or if there is a cure. It's just accepted that they're always there and that they make no logical sense. 

1 minute ago, taxi said:

You need a continued threat that stops society from functioning and rebuilding.

The reason why zombies work in this case is that the zombies have no intelligence, yet are always somehow just there to keep this threat going without being totally random. Even in the world of zombies, the Walking Dead makes no sense. How do the zombies keep moving years on without any food? That defies the laws of thermodynamics. The zombies are rotting yet a single knife into any part of their skull destroys their brain? 

Zombies also work because they are essentially rotten, fetid shadows of the survivors. Driven by impulse. And still the survivors have no idea how these corpses continue to exist without a discernible pulse or blood flow.

They are always there because they are now the majority of bipedal population on the earth, with their very existence having toppled modern day society in (most likely) every corner of the globe.

1 minute ago, taxi said:

The zombies here just provide an ongoing plot device to keep the conflict between people going.

While I'm sure we could kibitz back and forth whether or not the zombies are a plot device, it's fruitless. You believe that they are as such, and I believe that they are far more integral to the causation of the show's setting, cast, and trajectory. 

1 minute ago, taxi said:

This show has far more in common with post-apocalypse Mad Max style set up than any other zombie movie.

That's because most zombie movies suck (outside of Romero's first three) and usually take place in one area, be that a farmhouse, shopping mall or underground military bunker. The Walking Dead have gone steps further to show the outlying devastation that this apocalyptic event has wreaked on humanity much more so than Romero ever dreamed of doing.

1 minute ago, taxi said:

No one really cares what happens to the zombies or if there is a cure. It's just accepted that they're always there and that they make no logical sense. 

When Sophia came out of the barn, one could argue that their was some emotional investment in her. And in turn, the survivors are very much invested in what happens to the zombies, as if they could, I'm sure that they would eradicate them, if it wasn't such a hopeless cause. And no one cares if there is a cure? Huh?

Thing is the zombies effect on the survivor's is actually pretty encompassing. The existence of the zombies has forced the survivor's to:

• witness acts of unspeakable violence and terror without much ability to change it
  • perform what once would have been considered murder (in action alone) at will to survive, which in turn psychologically affects how they view life itself
  • live in abject fear of what can only be considered as one of the most painful and horrific ways to die imaginable
  • exist in a world that is essentially a morgue/graveyard come alive
  • accept the existence of a plague that has ravaged the world with no comparable parallel in science, that is essentially unexplainable

The existence of the plot device is and will be central to the story until it's end, however that may occur.

Archived