The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SFU yet again proves it is a joke

canuckbeliever

The sessional instructors I find are usually among the best I've had. The tenured/faculty members, while very bright in their field, are the worst teachers ever.

I must point out. It's not like they're not marking anything. Assignments and exams are still being marked. The marks will be submitted to the union and once everything is resolved, the union will forward the marks to the university.

Have you considered that other people might be getting jacked at the same time? People comment on how cheap the school is, well maybe that's the focal point on why the job action in the first place?

They've been without a contract for 2 years. Maybe if students put more pressure on the University (the source of income) a deal might get hammered out?

I do feel some unions push the limits for being unreasonable, but at the same time it doesn't take too much to see that a lot of employers are treating their staff like dirt because they want more profit. We're not talking NHL and NHLPA here.

If I had a company I'd want a happy and productive workforce. If this means sacrificing a small amount of profit at the expense of bonuses, higher wages or offering shares in the firm so be it. Too many companies are looking at greed instead of the bigger picture. You know that companies are owned by people, employee people, and sell products and services to people. Too much focus is on numbers, data, and stats.

Damn. Because of this, one of my courses, my prof decided to switch to a 35 question multiple choice as a midterm instead of a 2000-2500 term paper. I'd rather take the essay thank you very much.. Don't want a 35 m/c midterm to determine my mark. Not to mention its worth 30% of my grade...

Have you considered that other people might be getting jacked at the same time? People comment on how cheap the school is, well maybe that's the focal point on why the job action in the first place?

They've been without a contract for 2 years. Maybe if students put more pressure on the University (the source of income) a deal might get hammered out?

I do feel some unions push the limits for being unreasonable, but at the same time it doesn't take too much to see that a lot of employers are treating their staff like dirt because they want more profit. We're not talking NHL and NHLPA here.

If I had a company I'd want a happy and productive workforce. If this means sacrificing a small amount of profit at the expense of bonuses, higher wages or offering shares in the firm so be it. Too many companies are looking at greed instead of the bigger picture. You know that companies are owned by people, employee people, and sell products and services to people. Too much focus is on numbers, data, and stats.

Better yet, get the student union to vote in tuition hikes to pay the TA's more. Or should someone else (once again) be paying for this?

That this may foil the chance someone else will become a lawyer is hardly a compelling reason to suck more of my tax dollars!

This is the biggest issue that the TSSU seems to simply not understand. Given that the BC government has put a freeze on government positions, it is difficult to see where TSSU is going to get an increase in wage (though there are other reasons for the strike). SFU is a publicly funded (i.e. money from government) university. If the government has put a freeze on wages, there is nothing SFU administration can do in their negotiations with TSSU. It is an unfortunate situation that TAs are paid poorly, but I knew that going in to this job.

Well technically it's net zero. Since there's so many foreign students here driving sports cars they could at least take an increase in tuition to not only give a cost of living increase to you guys as well as help to keep everyone else's tuition low. Since that wouldn't be a net cost increase I would be ok with that.

Not sure that would go through but I would be ok with that.

Thanks for clearing that up. I have not had time to pay close enough attention to TSSU/SFU negotiations. I heard (subtext don't know that it is true) that CUPE workers at UBC received a raise and was very confused as to how that happened with a government imposed freeze on wages...but since it is not a freeze, then it makes sense for that to be possible.

http://www.sfu.ca/srs/labourupdate.html

Crossing a Picket Line

As the University will remain operational, you may need to cross a picket line to attend classes or other activities on campus. It is important to note that picketers can be in an emotional state and may act out of character. You may be nervous about crossing the picket line, so remember to remain calm and take extra care to avoid confrontation.

When crossing the picket line:

• Proceed carefully - do not rush.

• Be prepared to identify yourself.

• Do not become embroiled in discussion.

• Do not antagonize.

• Do not respond to threats or taunts.

• Do not cross the line more often than necessary.

• If confronted, please identify why you are accessing the University (e.g., as a student to attend class or study in the library, as a faculty member conducting research or teaching, or as a staff member going to work)

Well said.

Archived