The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

SFU yet again proves it is a joke

canuckbeliever

The video appears to be private, so here's another one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96HQ6RHGjC8

Solidarity with Sr. lecturer Tony Leyland. What exactly are the unions blocking - some piece of paved land? Their quarrel is with the university admin, not to faculty members or members of the general public looking for parking. Its a shame these union heads are imbeciles who want a mile but can't work for it.

As a member of TSSU, I fully support Tony Leyland. My girlfriend was harassed by TSSU on her way to class. A fellow PhD student had TSSU member jump onto his car to prevent him from pulling into C Lot. Their actions are just embarrassing and indicate how un-informed TSSU members are about what is legal behaviour during a strike is, and what is not.

I have been a member of TSSU since 2009. I have never complained about my pay. TAing is not supposed to be a full time job. I work two other research jobs on the side. I have been smart with my money and have no problems getting by. I live in a great apartment, have a car, eat out, and get to experience all the basic life necessities. For those jobs, one of which I began in 2007, I worked my way up and am now Project Director. I work between 60-70 hours a week, and enjoy every one of them. At least half of those hours are spent doing something that I don't just simply enjoy, but something I have a true passion for and have a lot of fun doing.

I empathize with students and others who are unhappy about the strike. I told my students that, by withholding their grades, TSSU was using them as pawns and that I completely disagreed with what TSSU was doing (however, I still have not released any grades out of fear that TSSU will fine me).

If you become a TA for the money, you are an idiot. I consider TAing to be part of my educational experience, and a position that will help me get a faculty position at another university in the future. Two of my tutorials on Wednesday were cancelled. Despite voting against the picket line, I cancelled my tutorials, again because of coercion/extortion by TSSU. However, because I consider TAing part of my educational experience, I held 'additional' office hours on Tuesday where I went through the tutorial I had planned to give students on Wednesday. I also allowed students from my Wednesday tutorials to sit in on my Tuesday tutorials so that they would not miss anything.

Bottom line, if anyone wants to bash TSSU, I completely understand your frustration. However, when it comes to individual TAs and Sessional Instructors, keep in mind that there are dozens of other TAs and Sessional Instructors like myself who voted against the use of picket lines.

These people that are striking, especially in that video, think they have the power to do anything. Fact is, they don't. They're causing issues all across campus and the video just shows what a joke the people that are picketing/striking really are. Kudos to those TAs who don't agree with what's going on, pretty much all my TAs don't agree with this strike and aren't involved with it at all, and to the TAs who are whining and complaining, I hope I never have you as my TA.

Archived