The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo to Leafs (With Source)

Ricciuti1

Gillis hinted on the idea of keeping Luongo for at least part of the season in a recent 1040 interview.

He made some oblique references to a possible condensed schedule and you can read between the lines about how useful he thinks having two real starters in that scenario would be. He clearly wants to know how the CBA resolves and then weigh his options.

If there isn't a good value deal out there before the season starts, why not use both guys and split starts. With a condensed schedule and more games in fewer days the chance of fatigue and injury is significantly increased.

We would have a serious competitive advantage keeping Luongo half the season and keeping Schneider fresh for a playoff run by not having to play a bunch of back to backs.

In addition, the suitors and trade returns increase as you go farther into the season. Burke can bluff right now and say he is happy with his goaltending, but when the Leafs are under .500 at Christmas, the fans are going to be having a fit. I also think that because of a possible condensed schedule several other starters are going to get hurt, increasing the overall market for goalies. While that may not directly bring a trade for Luongo (you don't trade for a guy with his contract to cover an injury), it opens up a ton of other options. For Example, Theodore would be a very valuable injury fill-in and Florida could get a big enough return for him in that situation that it opens up a trade for Luongo.

I really doubt Luongo goes to Toronto. Like you said, they have hardly any pieces that will help us win now.

As much as Luongo would like to move back to Florida, the ideal trading partner would be Chicago. They have offence to spare, and defensive prospects capable of competing (i.e Leddy)

Plus it would make the rivalry even more fun to watch. I like Lu, but I'll be crying tears of joy if Lu lets in a softy and it benefits US for a change!

Chicago Players that could be traded/packaged for:

-Hossa

-Leddy

-Shaw

-Stahlburg

-Kruger

-Hjarlmarsson

-AND MAYBEEE Seabrook

Lu wants to win the cup. So why would he want to go to the Leafs?

And if the only deal to TO involved bringing back an overpaid player like Komisarek, MG definitely wouldn't do that deal. I still don't think TO has any pieces that we need (that they are willing to give up).

Archived