The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Corey Pronman's Top 50 Players Under 23

elvis15

Hockey prospect evaluator Corey Pronman released his list for the top 50 players under the age of 23 yesterday. Two Canucks (Tanev and Kassian) made the top 50.

Top 50 Under 23

1. Steven Stamkos, Center, Tampa Bay Lightning

It's Stamkos and then the pack in this discussion. He is one of the league's elite players, and while his raw possession output hasn't been elite, his tools are certainly all there and he has proven himself to be a once in a generation level finisher.

2. John Tavares, Center, New York Islanders

These next three players were hard to order, and I could see a legitimate argument for any of them to be #2. I ended up siding with Tavares because on a scouting level, I've always been blown away by him and I can't begin a Tavares write-up without remembering discussions I had with scouts in 2008 and 2009 referring to him as a generational prospect. He is a special talent with the kind of offensive sense you don't find often and has improved his skating since turning pro. The only argument against him right now would be that it would be preferable to see him produce at a high level without the high offensive zone starts, but the quality of teammates argument somewhat counteracts that.

3. Tyler Seguin, Center, Boston Bruins

In the Taylor vs. Tyler debate back in 2010, I saw these two as a coin flip with a slight lean to Hall, and now I would just say the reverse. Seguin took a significant leap forward this year and with his combination of skating, hands, and hockey sense, he is tracking right now to be one of the league's best.

4. Taylor Hall, Left Wing, Edmonton Oilers

Hall hit the ground running in the NHL and has quickly emerged into a top-tier possession player. He has so many tools in the arsenal to threaten defenders with along with a top grade work ethic. Injuries have been a slight concern, especially giving his style of play, but I'm not overly concerned in that area yet.

5. Drew Doughty, Defense, Los Angeles Kings

Drew Doughty has been a top-end defenseman for a number of seasons after entering the league logging tough minutes from the get-go. He has a ton of offensive ability between his skating and hands on top of being able to be a very quality defender. His impressive track record at such a young age to go along with his immense talent level makes him the top defenseman under 23 in the NHL.

38. Chris Tanev, Defense, Vancouver Canucks

Tanev is an extremely smart defenseman with good mobility, and he looks the part of a blueliner with significant value despite not being your ideal power play quarterback. His ability to be a positive possession player while playing tough minutes at his age has certainly been impressive.

48. Zack Kassian, Right Wing, Vancouver Canucks

I've been impressed with Kassian's development over the last year or so from a pure power forward into a player whose gotten quicker and has shown better offensive elements to his game. He was OK at best in the NHL, but if he comes together he could be a quality player.

^^

I'd agree, Cody, the Sabres' #1 center, deserves the spot of someone like Nazem Kadri whose prospects aren't looking very healthy right now, not sure if he'll be able to rise to the big league level and claim his spot in the Top 6 that he was touted to play in when he was drafted.

Also agreed Tanev should've been below Burmistrov, Ennis, Kruger, Johansson and Gudbranson at least.

awhhh, poor Tanman.

Pronman noted why he's there. I don't think people realize how incredibly amazing his underlying #'s are. I was looking at the rookie d-men usage charts, and only 1 rookie played tougher mins and posted better underlying #'s than Tanev - Scandella (who's 2 yrs older and has more experience). Out of 20+ rookie d-men last season, Tanev posted better #'s than all but 1. That's why he made the list.

awhhh, poor Tanman.

Pronman noted why he's there. I don't think people realize how incredibly amazing his underlying #'s are. I was looking at the rookie d-men usage charts, and only 1 rookie played tougher mins and posted better underlying #'s than Tanev - Scandella (who's 2 yrs older and has more experience). Out of 20+ rookie d-men last season, Tanev posted better #'s than all but 1. That's why he made the list.

This guy seems to put a premium on less "sexy" stats, such as positive possession, quality of linemates/opposition, offensive starts, etc.

Although Hodgson racked up quite a few points in his first year, which everyone noticed, he did quite poorly in most of these underlying areas. That is why AV and Gillis questioned his value (esp considered to what Hodgson & Son perceived it to be), and traded him. And that is why Pronman left him off the list too.

It's all subjective opinions though. Cody could easily end up twice the player as half of the guys on this list. However, it's worth noting how many people who are "in the know" are questioning him. That helps explain why the return for him wasn't as high as many hoped it would be.

Archived