The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Ethics of Drinking Non-Human Fluids

BananaMash

watermelon-juice.JPG

1) I don't drink non-human fluids (so don't accuse me of being hypocritical or irrational given the arguments presented)

2) I am not absolutely against drinking non-human fluids i.e. there are contexts where harvesting and drinking or drinking a non-human fluid is ethically justified

3) I want to dicuss standard cases e.g. going to the grocery store to buy non-human fluids for your BBQ and to a lesser extent, localally sourced non-human fluids.

4) This discussion is intented to be respectful and hopefully intelligent. Obviously I will be arguing the position that it isnot (in most cases) ethically permissable to eat non human plants, and in some cases it is morally obligatory that we shouldn't. Even so, I am more than willing to revise/further inform my position given persusive arguments.

With these points in mind, I'll put forward the topic to discuss:

I'll assume that many who respond will in fact drink fluids, and think their act of drinking fluids is ethically justified. I would like to examine these supposed justifications. If you're serious and/or interested in the topic, I will do my best to carefully consider what you have to say. My hope is that some people will see some justifications as lacking and perhaps, might be persuaded to change their own practices (to whatever extent). A little dreamy? A bit. But as rational creatures we have the power to change what we do.

Does water ring any bells?

So you're against drinking juice... when as the OP of this thread your username advocates mashing bananas?? :mellow:

I really can't believe you're talking about ethical treatment of fruit... how on EARTH will anyone get enough nutrients? I don't like how people use "ethical treatment" for everything... honestly plants and fruits were grown to be eaten (more controversially, so were animals)! They don't feel pain (the veg. I mean), and frankly if people don't control natural populations they'll soon compete with people for earth's resources, and is that what you want?

Advocacy doesn't work properly when the advocates don't put any reason or thought to justify their actions.

I love non-human fluids. Especially cola. I easily suffer from anemia, so there are times that I can drink a huge bottle of Coke (it makes the anemia worse, though).

But, I see the point about the ethics of drinking fluids. They are defenseless (mostly) and even the way we waste our food seems awfully calloused. I knew someone who worked in a bottling company and he had a lot of horror stories.

But, I still love non-human fluids and there is nothing better than sucking that fizzy syrup from a nice can of Coke, IMO.

I love non-human fluids. Especially cola. I easily suffer from anemia, so there are times that I can drink a huge bottle of Coke (it makes the anemia worse, though).

But, I see the point about the ethics of drinking fluids. They are defenseless (mostly) and even the way we waste our food seems awfully calloused. I knew someone who worked in a bottling company and he had a lot of horror stories.

But, I still love non-human fluids and there is nothing better than sucking that fizzy syrup from a nice can of Coke, IMO.

Does water ring any bells?

So you're against drinking juice... when as the OP of this thread your username advocates mashing bananas?? :mellow:

I really can't believe you're talking about ethical treatment of fruit... how on EARTH will anyone get enough nutrients? I don't like how people use "ethical treatment" for everything... honestly plants and fruits were grown to be eaten (more controversially, so were animals)! They don't feel pain (the veg. I mean), and frankly if people don't control natural populations they'll soon compete with people for earth's resources, and is that what you want?

Advocacy doesn't work properly when the advocates don't put any reason or thought to justify their actions.

Archived