The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I'm sure everybody has heard the rumours of the possible Oilers and Canucks trade revolving around Eberle and Luongo. It might have no truth to it but I'm interested to hear what everybody thinks would make this trade fair with these two as the center pieces.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Edmonton: Luongo, Ballard, Schroeder & 2013 Conditional 2nd (3rd if they make the playoffs)

Vancouver: Eberle & Horcroff

For Edmonton I have six primary reasons.

1. Oilers would automatically put themselves in playoff contention with Luongo backstopping them, they pay a high price but Gillis won't move Luongo to a division rivalry for scraps.

2. Ballard would get a shot in their top 4 and if he doesn't fit then his contract expires before they'll have to start shelling out more big contracts to their young guns

3. Can use Dubnyk to replenish their forward stock by trading to a team like Columbus.

4. From what I've read Edmonton would be happy to stop paying Horcroff 5.5M per year when he'll be centering the third line

5. Personally I feel that Gagner will walk unless he outplays RNH... so if Gagner leaves, ideally after another year developing Schroeder would be given a shot at the top six, and crack it.

6. Second round pick if Luo doesn't get them into the playoffs.

For Vancouver I have two main points.

1. Eberle... future elite, right handed shot with Sedins, pretty self explanatory...

2. I feel that the Canucks would have to take back Horcroff's contract but it would be worth the acquisition of Eberle.

It would be awesome if people not only critiqued mine and other's trades but also proposed their own... Nobody reads these sections because they like seeing facepalms.

Thanks for reading

Edmonton won't do it, Eberle is there best player, he has been the best of all there young stars and he is pretty much untouchable unless we wanna overpay ludicrously.

And Horcoff is there captain, so tho he has a high contract that he might not deserve, he is very important to them, especially with such a young roster and so little leadership after a few guys.

I agree about Ebs, but disagree about Horcoff, if people call Lu an albatross contract Shawn should be an even greater one. He's paid to be one of the premier guys on the team but really his value comes from his faceoffs and defensive play. I think with all the veteran UFA's available they may very well pick several guys up (maybe someone who has played with the team before) and have them serve as a team leader.

With that said, I think Shawn may be one of the pieces necessary heading out the door if deals like this one was to be made, esp. for someone so young, talented and already clutch like Jordan Eberle. However, that's not to say that I agree with this trade-- I don't think Edmonton would be sold by the return in this deal. They have a goalie (Lu's the main piece going back), Ballard would be average in their D-group (similar to the other small, mobile D-men they have, though he can hip-check), Schroeder's not going to help on the 3rd line and he likely won't supplant Gagner, and the 2nd on a contending team has low value.

I wish this trade would work but sadly I think the Oil would run with their kid line for years to come (and why wouldn't they?)

No problem.

But Edmonton won't do it, Eberle is there best player, he has been the best of all there young stars and he is pretty much untouchable unless we wanna overpay ludicrously.

And Horcoff is there captain, so tho he has a high contract that he might not deserve, he is very important to them, especially with such a young roster and so little leadership after a few guys.

There not a contender right now anyways so the cap hit isn't a big deal.

Eberle, based on realistic potential, should be behind Hall, RNH and Yakupov. I feel he overachieved last year as I was surprised when he got basically the same contract as Hall. Paajarvi doesn't look like he'll overtake Eberle, and I wonder if they wouldn't look at one of their young wingers to get assets back, but signing him to the big contract suggests they would need to be wowed by a deal.

Horcoff is a contract they'd like to move similar to how it'd benefit us to move Ballard. If we were to give them two big contracts, they have to include one of Horcoff or Hemsky to ensure they have room for their young stars still. They have Gagner, Hartikainen, Whitney, Smid, Paajarvi, Tuebert, etc all due next summer, then RNH and Schultz the summer after.

Moving Horcoff is great because then they don't have to pay $5M for their 3rd line center, but they don't quite have a solid 3rd line center ready. Someone like VandeVelde could be that guy in the future, but they'll have to decide what they're prepared to do in order to get other pieces and be future proofed when renewing contracts.

I think that's just too big a deal between division rivals for it to work, but I can see an argument to why those pieces would be included. I don't think we'd do it, perhaps it favours Edmonton.

Essentially I see this deal as Ballard for Horcoff (a saw off) and Luongo, Shroeder and a 3rd for Eberle.

Horcoff has been a disappointment for the last three years (since he signed that contract), but is the type of guy who might benefit from a change of scenery - he was around when they were a decent team and had to endure watching them dive into a deep rebuild.

People here may assume that Edmonton would never move Eberle, but as much as I like him and would love to see him in a Canucks jersey, Edmonton would have to seriously consider a deal where they land Luongo, a first rate prospect and a pick for Eberle. From a Canucks standpoint, if Horcoff - a center - weren't in this proposal, I'd be reluctant to include Schroeder, and throwing in a third in addition may be an overpayment. I'm not in agreement that Eberle overachieved however - I think he's the real deal - I'd take him over anyone in the Oilers system - but I also see Luongo and Schroeder as a heavy package that ought to bring a serious return like Eberle.

Edmonton does have a prototypical third line center in their system - Anton Lander.

p.s. yes to Don Taylor for president.

Don't like horcoff. If we could get Whitney and gagner for that package i would be all for it. (I am really bad at trade values so i have no idea if my proposed trade is fair)

Really,really like Whitney has a great shot but has injury issues.

Gagner is only 23 and already played 5 years of NHL hockey. putting up .5ppg for a 23 year old is still good and will only improve.

Archived