The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ask A Hotel Employee Something!

The Hornet

Surprised this one hasn't been asked yet.

What's the best way to get free stuff/discount/upgrade?

My mother in law always asks for an upgrade by email prior to stay saying it's an anniversary or whatever and usually gets something. Does 'tipping' front desk tend to result in better upgrades and how often do you think this works?

Surprised this one hasn't been asked yet.

What's the best way to get free stuff/discount/upgrade?

My mother in law always asks for an upgrade by email prior to stay saying it's an anniversary or whatever and usually gets something. Does 'tipping' front desk tend to result in better upgrades and how often do you think this works?

I stayed in a hotel in San Francisco once. Checked in, got my room, opened the door to my room...... and there were clothes and suitcases everywhere. Luckily no people in the room, and VERY lucky they weren't... Anyways. I let the door close and went back down to the desk to notify them.

Does this happen often? How can something like this happen ?

I stayed in a hotel in San Francisco once. Checked in, got my room, opened the door to my room...... and there were clothes and suitcases everywhere. Luckily no people in the room, and VERY lucky they weren't... Anyways. I let the door close and went back down to the desk to notify them.

Does this happen often? How can something like this happen ?

It's not too common, but it does happen every now and then. Usually what happens is when housekeeping is in the room cleaning, they punch a code into the phone that tells the computer system that the room is clean, even if they haven't finished. Then they usually leave the room, do something else and forget about the half clean room they put in clean status.

Other times it might just be user error by the front desk clerks. They could of been in a rush and forgot to check them into a room, or could of set it up in the computer that two people would share the room. It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's an embarrassment for everyone. Luckily most people are good about it.

Suitcases were still in the room, clothes still hanging in closet, so it wasn't a case of half clean. I'm just happy no one was in there, and especially doing something embarrassing.

That certain hotel has a bad rep for attracting the bad crowds, which it does. It's right across from Rexall Place, and near a bunch of bars. However, in the past few years, that hotel has gone over some pretty nice renovations, and is slowly starting to become quite a nice hotel, with not as many problems as in the past.

I stayed there during Grey Cup. The hotel was filled with Grey Cup fans, so it was all good. We were all there for the same reason, kept it safe. I could only imagine any other time of the year it would be scary.

Archived