The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] GDT Wolves at. Admirals. 5 pm PST

Ossi Vaananen

Sucks we couldn't watch the game online (for free :) ) But I didn't have to watch to know Tanev was likely the best d-man on the ice tonight..... again.

Since him and Connauton have been de-paired, Connautons been a little lost (-4 in last 3 games). I think Arniel would be best served by putting them back together and riding them 24 TOI a night.

Sucks we couldn't watch the game online (for free :) ) But I didn't have to watch to know Tanev was likely the best d-man on the ice tonight..... again.

Since him and Connauton have been de-paired, Connautons been a little lost (-4 in last 3 games). I think Arniel would be best served by putting them back together and riding them 24 TOI a night.

Wow did our goalies and D stink it up tonight. Seriously, Eddie Lack is far from NHL-ready and if you think he can handle 20 games as Schneider's backup you've just got to look at games like these.

The kid has never really shone in the AHL anyway, I'm not sure why anyone thinks he's ready. Schneider was ready when he came into the NHL as a backup because he was the AHL's best goalie and played well for a full season or two. Meanwhile Lack has been playing around .500 hockey most of his AHL career and hasn't played more than 53 games so hasn't even had full-time experience. His numbers have actually gotten worse over the last 3 years so I for one don't want to see him in a Canucks uniform until he can put together one or two successful, full-time starter seasons in the AHL.

As for the rest of the team, Schroeder looks like he's heating up - been a point-a-game player over the last six or seven games now and looks like he's been improving every year in the AHL, and Tanev somehow finishes a game where we were shot down with 7 goals as a +1 with 1 assist, giving him a little point streak going and 4 points in 10 games.

Yep, the Wolves really have to shore up their game defensively or they're not going to go far in the playoffs. It's not like this team lacks talent up front, whereas there are only a few puck-movers on the back end.

And my goodness, could that play-by-play guy's voice be ANY more obnoxious when they score?

Wow did our goalies and D stink it up tonight. Seriously, Eddie Lack is far from NHL-ready and if you think he can handle 20 games as Schneider's backup you've just got to look at games like these.

The kid has never really shone in the AHL anyway, I'm not sure why anyone thinks he's ready. Schneider was ready when he came into the NHL as a backup because he was the AHL's best goalie and played well for a full season or two. Meanwhile Lack has been playing around .500 hockey most of his AHL career and hasn't played more than 53 games so hasn't even had full-time experience. His numbers have actually gotten worse over the last 3 years so I for one don't want to see him in a Canucks uniform until he can put together one or two successful, full-time starter seasons in the AHL.

As for the rest of the team, Schroeder looks like he's heating up - been a point-a-game player over the last six or seven games now and looks like he's been improving every year in the AHL, and Tanev somehow finishes a game where we were shot down with 7 goals as a +1 with 1 assist, giving him a little point streak going and 4 points in 10 games.

I have said that about Lack for more than a year now. However I am slowly beginning to realise that the Wolves suffer the same problem that afflicts the Canucks...........a flaky defence. Luongo has had to put up with these absent/erant defenders for years and it is a testament to his outrageous talent that he has kept us in games night after night. It scares me to think of CS in that position.......or Lack. :-(

I watched the Heat play Oklahoma last night and man to compare the Heat defence to the Wolves is like chalk and cheese. In fact I'm beginning to think we vastly overrate our prospects having watched that game. I have never seen the Wolves play with the kind of intensity shown by the Heat in any game.

Also, that game should be shown to Kesler and Booth as an example of how to transition the puck up the ice.......The passing of the heat players especially was mesmerising and reminded me of the Wings at their best.

One thing for sure, without getting too pessimistic..........we must savour every minute the Twins play from now to the end of their career because I see nothing like them in the pipeline.

The heat reminded you of the wings at their best? Come on...

I agree with you about the Wolves D, it has been pretty poor lately, but it's not because we don't have good prospects. Tanev has been rock solid, and Sauve is definitely coming around. Not to mention Andersson who has impressed me quite a bit.

I'll admit Connauton has been pretty bad. But he's an offensive defenseman first and foremost, and he needs to be able to attack. But instead he's had to make up defensively for guys like Joslin and Hunt. And it's really hurting his game. He needs to be put with a solid stay at home guy like Tanev so he can have the freedom to move up the ice. He's basically like an Edler. He needs a guy like Salo to make up for his poor defensive game.

You also have to look at the Wolves team defensive game, which has been pretty poor. I mean when you have little guys like Ebbett, Sterling, Haydar, Davies, Schroeder, and Friesen doing your back-checking, odds are your going to get outmuscled by bigger teams. And the only real size they have up front is Desbiens (plug), Mallet (not used nearly enough), and Kassian (suspended last game).

I put alot of the blame for their poor play on Arniel. He seems to be unable to get the right mix of grit and skill on this team, and so alot of games, Lack has had to bail them out, and now that he's not, they're really being exposed.

And the fact that we don't have two players like the Sedins coming down the pipeline, shouldn't really be surprising. Players like them don't come around too often. It takes a couple seasons of coming near the bottom, and a little luck to replace players like them.

Tanev is shaky? Dude played every play off game for ~15 minutes and was -1 only once. You're on crack if you think a 22 year old who can do that against the eventual cup winners is shaky in the AHL. I suggest you double check that you've been watching the right number :P

The person who really has been blowing my mind is Sauve though. He was so highly rated, then had the accident and coaching staff, fans, everyone were saying he looked off. Like he knocked his head and lost his game. Then I started tuning into Wolves games because of the lockout and I was thinking "Damn, this kid is really good". His +/- this season? +6, best on the team.

I think the issue with this team is Arniel at the moment. It looks like he's been given a jigsaw puzzle of talent and he's not even had the sense to put the edges together.

Archived