The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Doctor says condemned killer is too fat to execute

Grapefruits

Oh no, he's going to feel some pain... GOOD!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A condemned killer fighting his execution because of his extreme weight does not have accessible veins in his arms or hands and could not receive a lethal injection in his legs because he is so obese, a doctor said in a court filing.

Death row inmate Ronald Post wants a federal judge to stop his January execution on the grounds his weight could cause him to suffer severe pain during the procedure. The state opposes the request.

Ohio attorneys had criticized an earlier filing by Post based on an analysis by a doctor who didn’t examine him.

Thursday’s filing sought to counter that opposition by presenting the affidavit of a doctor who extensively examined Post and interviewed him about his medical history.

It is "highly unlikely" that an IV could be placed in Post’s legs and "extremely unlikely" that veins could be found in his hands, Ohio State medical centre anesthesiologist Sergio Bergese said in affidavit dated Oct. 31 and filed Thursday.

Post also has scars on his left and right forearms from a suicide attempt that make his veins inaccessible for an IV, Bergese said. Post weighs more than 400 pounds (182 kilograms), the doctor said.

He said Post reported he has provided some blood samples in the past only after great difficulty. Bergese said providing blood samples is no guarantee that an IV could be inserted.

Post, 53, is scheduled to die Jan. 16 for the 1983 shooting death of Helen Vantz in Elyria.

Vantz’s son, Bill Vantz, has called Post’s arguments "laughable."

Post argues his weight, vein access, scar tissue, depression and other medical problems raise the likelihood his executioners would encounter severe problems.

Post’s attorneys also want more time to pursue arguments that claims of a full confession by the inmate to several people have been falsely exaggerated.

Post has tried losing weight, but knee and back problems have made it difficult to exercise, according to his court filing.

Post’s request for gastric bypass surgery has been denied, he has been encouraged not to walk because he’s at risk for falling, and severe depression has contributed to his inability to limit how much he eats, his filing said.

© Copyright © The Province

Reminds me of a wacko in washington state.

Guy walked into a bank to rob it, ends up shooting a teller. When he got tried, apparently somewhere in the state law it said he could pick his method of execution. He chose hanging (didn't know that was still done now-a-days) but while he waited on death row, ate as much as he could and ended up weighing over 300lbs. By the time his execution was scheduled, it was determined that if they hung him, his head would pop off

Reminds me of a wacko in washington state.

Guy walked into a bank to rob it, ends up shooting a teller. When he got tried, apparently somewhere in the state law it said he could pick his method of execution. He chose hanging (didn't know that was still done now-a-days) but while he waited on death row, ate as much as he could and ended up weighing over 300lbs. By the time his execution was scheduled, it was determined that if they hung him, his head would pop off

Just checked, Idaho and Oklahoma allow it as a fallback to Lethal Injections, but no state currently allows either death by firing squad or the Coup-De-Grace as the sole or even a requestable option for method of execution. It seems the only way they'll allow it is on these grounds, where Lethal Injection proves illogical or impossible.

Given the option, if I were on death row, I'd just ask that I be given a key to a strongbox with a gun inside it. Just lead me to a backroom, have 30 guards waiting outside the door, and put a strongbox in the room with a gun with a single bullet in it. Outside of the fact that lethal injection sounds horrifying, I would also strongly prefer a coup de grace to hanging or electrocution. It seems like both the most humane and most studly way to go out.

As far as the cost, studies suggest that it costs 9x more to keep a prisoner on death row, since people who are condemned to die get, like, all the appeals they want, pretty much. It's a lot cheaper to leave someone in a 2 per cell general population forever than it is to go through the process to absolutely ensure that they're guilty.

Given the option, if I were on death row, I'd just ask that I be given a key to a strongbox with a gun inside it. Just lead me to a backroom, have 30 guards waiting outside the door, and put a strongbox in the room with a gun with a single bullet in it. Outside of the fact that lethal injection sounds horrifying, I would also strongly prefer a coup de grace to hanging or electrocution. It seems like both the most humane and most studly way to go out.

As far as the cost, studies suggest that it costs 9x more to keep a prisoner on death row, since people who are condemned to die get, like, all the appeals they want, pretty much. It's a lot cheaper to leave someone in a 2 per cell general population forever than it is to go through the process to absolutely ensure that they're guilty.

If I'm on death row, I'd propose that whether or not I'm selfish would be the least of my concerns lol, but fine. I'd acquiesce to having some sort of leather bag over my head, so the overwhelming majority of it doesn't have to be cleaned. Maybe make the room like a cattle killing floor, so people can just spray it down and be done with it. I'm not trying to make things hard for other people, I'd just like an alternative to lethal injections :)

Archived