The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burrows, jersey retired or Ring of Honour?

Markus Alexander Cody

167 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's wait until he plays out his career here, at which point we'll celebrate his accomplishments. Impossible to know at this point, as he's right in the thick of things and this party ain't over yet.

I say we elect him Prime Minister, put a large statue of him on the roof at GM Place and name every baby that is born after him. For a start....

I think it's too early to tell. So far he's proven himself to be a Canuck through and through. He's really proven that the team comes first in his eyes. I think, if he gets dealt, it will be a management decision and no want of his own and I feel he will be really upset. Personally, I could see 14, 33 and 22 all being retired and put into the ring of honor. I think they have proven that they are the best line we've ever had and are loyal Canucks. If he stays a Canuck for the majority of his career, then I say absolutely.

I'm all for burrows being in the ring of honor, he is clutch and has scored very big goals for this team. That shorty against Carolina that turned that season around, game 7 ot. Etc

No to the jersey retirement, as it is only Linden and Bure deserve their jerseys in the rafters, unless burrows scores every game winner while bringing a cup to Vancouver then maybe

As of today, definitely no to both.

But if he stays a Canuck, and continues to play well for us, he wouldn't be a bad choice for the ROH.

For jersey retirement, he would definitely need to put up at least point per game seasons for the rest of his career. Would need playoff numbers too. It's far fetched, but that's what I think it would take at this point.

The problem with the Ring of Honours is that the requirements are just whoever are fan favourites who contributed to the Canucks organization.

Burrows fits both category, but there are also tons of other players who does as well.

Ronning, Ohlund, Morrison, Tanti, Odjick, Geoff Courtnall, Lumme, Greg Adams, Boudrias, Don Lever, etc..... eventually there will be no more rooms around the arena.

I think either one is a bad call.... especially "if he were to retire today". Now hear me out. I have always really really like Burrows. I loved the way that he played with such intensity, came through with clutch goals and plays in ridiculous situations. He is a HUGE part of the Canucks last years of success. BUT, as a fan that spent years defending his antics to other NHL fans and Canucks haters, I have about had enough of his less than honorable antics. Don't get me wrong, I am still a fan of his, but when he kneels on a goalies groin, bites and pulls hair, it is a bit hard even as a Canucks fan to turn a blind eye. The diving and trying to draw calls gets embarrassing. None of the for-mentioned antics are honor worthy. The Ring on Honor and even more so having a jersey retired, are huge honors that showcase and hold on high, players that not only were highly skilled elite players, but that were also great ambassadors of the game and the games values. Those values that include honor, respect and integrity. It kills me to say this out loud, but Burrows is lacking in these areas. If the Canucks were to honor him it would only solidify the haters view that Vancouver is a breeding ground for whining cheap divers........

Now can Burrows change all this? Absolutely! And I for one really hope that he does. I love watching him play and love having him in our colours, but i am tired of having to defend his antics.

Burrows at this point in his career is a poor man's Greg Adams.

Adams was known for driving the net and consistent scoring.

Adams scored clutch playoff goals too. Triple OT in round 3 to knock off the Leafs. Double OT in game 1 of the 94 finals.

There is no chatter at all of retiring his number or ROH for Adams. This alone speaks volumes for Burr's chances.

Aside from timely playoff goals, Adams and Burrows are nothing alike. Greg Adams was relatively slow, and a good size, Burrows is light and speedy. The closest former-Canuck comparison I have seen to Burrows is Martin Gelinas, although Burrows has much better hands and general hockey sense.

There should not be any jerseys in the rafters unless a Stanley Cup has been won. No Linden, no Smyl, no Naslund, no Bure.

ROH is a great idea, fill it up with anyone noteworthy. But the fact that there are currently 3 jerseys hanging up in Rogers Arena, next to 0 Stanley Cup banners, is pretty laughable.

Archived