The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Political Science/Economics Degree

KoreanHockeyFan

While I don't think a Poli-Sci major will actually be the thing that could land you a job, if you double major in it plus Econ, it would certainly make you a more appealing candidate for jobs related to Economics.

At the very least, Poli-Sci does teach good critical thinking skills.

Haha, and yeah I was worried about becoming a "pretentious asshole" when I began taking these course, but as of now, I'm not that bad yet!

I know a lot of these questions pop up on these boards but I'm just trying to get a rough idea of where my potential degree can lead me to in terms of a job.

I'm hoping to double major in the two fields, but other than trying to become a civil servant, I can't figure out any other possible careers. Perhaps the political science/economic degree holders out there on the board can give me an idea? I'm in the co-op program, so I'll have some opportunities to go and find some jobs later in the summer, but I want to get some responses from absolute strangers who are already out working.

Perhaps I'll end up with a job completely unrelated to my degree? Or, seeing as how undergraduate degrees are being handed out left and right these days, maybe graduate school would have to be a possible option.

Oh, and law school is pretty much out of the question for me due to my lack of interest in it :)

and finally, please don't derail the thread with typical and unhelpful comments like "arts degrees are useless."

Thanks once again guys.

What's worse he considers "engineer" to be a "good job". I liken it more to a disease that should only really be suggested as pennance to control freak math geeks.

Grade= (elevation one - elevation two)/distance

Now go perform that calution one million times! Bwa ha ha! Master the parking lot you are!

We're living in the real world here. You may have a job and that's all well and good, but tell the hundreds of thousands of people in their 30s+ working in retail and food service, and still with thousands in student loan debt, that their English / Poli Sci / Art History / etc, degrees were totally worth it because they learned good writing skills which they haven't even used in 10+ years.

My degree is in genetics. I graduated with about 500 other people with the exact same degree, probably 100 of us have relavant jobs now, I'm one of the lucky ones. Unless you plan to go on to further education or Med school, this degree is also borderline useless, especially since in a few years I'll have forgotten everything I know.

The linear highschool -> university -> life career path is just not all it's cracked up to be for a large chunk of society, and it's a shame that it's pushed on basically all young teens as the "norm" they should strive for. Probably by people with mindsets like yours.

I'd say blame yourself rather than your degree if you can't get a job. If you can't convince an employer that you've developed the skills necessary to be successful in the position then you don't deserve to be hired. The only exception would be for technical jobs (e.g. engineers, doctors, etc.) that require specific content knowledge prior to employment.

Oh there are quite a number of useless ones, particularly the kind that both cost taxpayers and are hardly, if at all, useful for job related skills. Most degrees, in fact, that don't require extensively broad knowledge (and of course are paid for by my taxes), should be slimmed down only to specific courses directly related to the target major, rather than the waste that encompasses far too much of undergrad years.

You ascribe to the "technician" school of thought on education. I go with the idea that education in and of itself is good thing, no matter what the area.

Many of mine classmates in law school had no intention of actually practising law but the education was more than worthwhile as it taught them to think and reason logically - something that I had already had as part of my first undergrad degree.

What degree or degrees do you possess?

Wet, what would you recommend as a Major (or even just some breadth courses outside of a Major) in which the knowledge gained from it would be of the most use in Law School?

I know Criminology is a good place to start (to gain some knowledge applicable to Criminal Law), and that writing intensive courses will also prove useful, but outside of that I haven't really found any courses that I thought would be overly useful in that regard.

Did you find that the Poli-Sci courses really helped that much?

Archived