The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Woman Denied Haircut, Files Human Right Complaint

DonLever

Should we tear down all old heritage buildings because they are old too? Afterall, we have come a long way.

Their business makes a point of being traditional. Old, since 1925 old. If it's their business model, and they are successful, then why should they be forced to change it for the single customer who didn't know about their established business model and didn't want to walk a block to another business that would accomodate them?

A simple 'harumph' and walk-off would've sufficed here, but instead she has decided to go the self-serving attention-grabbing route in the name of a noble cause that doesn't even apply.

There is no issue unless they are the only haircutting service available within a reasonable distance, and the map shows that this is not the case. She is doing herself and those who trumpet her quest a real disservice.

If this women is successful in winning her lawsuit and gets $$ out of it. I'll be wanting to join a Ladies only gym that is only a 5 minute walk away from my place instead of a Steve Nash Fitness Club (that I currently go to) that is a 5 minute drive from my place.

Prices are about the same but the Ladies Gym is close and in walking distance.

Fair is fair.

Hypocrites, the lot of you who agree with this woman. Strictly on the grounds of these mens' traditional belief system is protected by one of our most fundamental laws. You can't turn around and argue equality when our bill of rights protects everyone equally to practice their religion as they see fit. You wouldnt bust into a Jew-church and demand that they all start eating pork because "its the canadian way, get used to it or go back to isreal?" because it's ???? racist.

From what I understand these muslim men are prohibited from touching another womans hair unless they are family because they consider it a little too private for a stranger to be doing (maybe a practicing muslim can clarify for us). Because of this background, even if they were to make an exception they lack the skills to do a proper female haircut and risk doing a crapty job. Any man who takes pride in his career would not be satisfied with doing bad work.

She's not a freedom fighter, she is being opressive. Men running a Mens barber shop hurts no-one. Move along, stop feeding the attention whore.

I agree, this is very silly...not really a civil rights - but arguing that it isn't is just the same.

I guess what is the real point?

For me, it's not about a barbershop being for men.

It's about the guy saying "it goes against my religion".

That would be like me saying "public schools should say the Lord's prayer - for not doing so is against my religion". To which you say - "go to a Christian school". Too which I say - "why doesn't this barber practice his trade in a country for his religion"?

There are more important things to focus on...

Hypocrites, the lot of you who agree with this woman. Strictly on the grounds of these mens' traditional belief system is protected by one of our most fundamental laws. You can't turn around and argue equality when our bill of rights protects everyone equally to practice their religion as they see fit. You wouldnt bust into a Jew-church and demand that they all start eating pork because "its the canadian way, get used to it or go back to isreal?" because it's ???? racist.

From what I understand these muslim men are prohibited from touching another womans hair unless they are family because they consider it a little too private for a stranger to be doing (maybe a practicing muslim can clarify for us). Because of this background, even if they were to make an exception they lack the skills to do a proper female haircut and risk doing a crapty job. Any man who takes pride in his career would not be satisfied with doing bad work.

She's not a freedom fighter, she is being opressive. Men running a Mens barber shop hurts no-one. Move along, stop feeding the attention whore.

You are kind of proving the point that there are certain places that cator to certain clientelle. You are suggesting that this man go back to his country in order to freely practice his religion. It's pretty much been the macro of bigots since time immemorial.

"If blacks want (insert same right that white people get) they should go back to africa"

This is just bigotry being re-packaged as wrongly percieved sexism issue.

If this women is successful in winning her lawsuit and gets $$ out of it. I'll be wanting to join a Ladies only gym that is only a 5 minute walk away from my place instead of a Steve Nash Fitness Club (that I currently go to) that is a 5 minute drive from my place.

Prices are about the same but the Ladies Gym is close and in walking distance.

Fair is fair.

You won't be able to because political correctness in these regards places women in a category with disabled people or those in a persistent vegetative state, they are special, they are weak, and they need government to prevent bias on getting a hair cut.. whereas you are a male, you need no help, and women only clubs, or women only taxi cab services, are a-ok. If you call out this type of hypocrisy and non-equal treatment, you are a dog, you aren't Canadian, you have no respect for the charter, for human rights, you kick puppies, and you eat babies.

Its ridiculous from a practical standpoint. However, their religion forbids this, and as nuts as it sounds she should respect his right to believe whatever he wants .

She doesnt have to respect HIM for his arcane belief system. I certainly wouldnt. But to SUE the guy over it?

Where does all this end? Sue everyone for everything . Sue feminist groups for not allowing men. Sue the black caucus or refusing white people. Sue Chinese people for not teaching everyone else Cantonese for free. They teach their children Cantonese for free.

At some point we have to call it what it is. An excuse to try to feel important via victimization for any reason whether it be reasonable or not.

Archived