The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

wasted talent

whytelight

This topic started off as a discussion about elite players like Iginla playing on teams that don't go anywhere. Now it is (once again) about early draft picks that have turned into busts.

Iginla's situation is much like Ray Borque in Boston. I am hoping that at some point, Jerome will have the same retirement gift that Boston gave Borque. I would love to see Ignina get a chance to win a SC.

Herter, Woodley Sandlak, Josh Holden, Brad Ference, Pat White, for draft picks.

Kadri from the Leafs is a guy who was picked in the top 10 and so far hasn't lived up to potential.

Doan in Phoenix has been loyal to the team and no one is really sure Phoenix will survive.

Just shows how tough it is to scout 17-18 year olds and predict how they develop.

Another one that comes to mind is Angelo Esposito.

Dubbed as the next NHL superstar (at 17 he was being compared to Crosby or Lecavalier), but he got riddled with injuries, and seemed to just not want to put the effort in after his first year in junior.

He will likely never even play in the NHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=89534

I don't blame Thomas Hickey for him being a bust, I blame LA. There was no reason for them to pick him at 4th overall, most experts had him going around 20th. Sure, even at 20th or so he would have been a disappointment, but it is only because LA picked him so high that makes it look so bad.

Archived