The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ontario teachers going on Strike November 25 because of Bill 115

Dazzle

If teachers have to bargain for their rights, fine. Don't go around misleading people that you support students. The union has no interest in students; their role is to protect teachers, first and foremost.

That is why students that go and support the teachers are most definitely misguided. Students should support themselves. Their voices NEED to be at the bargaining table. It adds another dimension of the argument and forces both sides to adhere to students' demands.

They are already doing it the same way. Teachers were threatened with hefty fines for any type of strike action last round so they took away extra curricular and got heat for that. The other big difference is the government typically doesn't pick fights with most of those mentioned above but push come to shove don't think any of them wouldn't resort to illegal strikes anyway.

I can't speak for the teachers of Ontario but I am sick and tired of all the attacks on teachers on thos board. Do you know anything about what happened during the last round of bargaining with the BC govt'? No, then shut up about it. This does not necessarily pertain to you but their are a lot a regulars who like to show up in these threads and spout off garbage about teachers, including the op, so unless you have actual knowledge in this area perhaps you should keep it to yourself.

You and I both know that there are very few solutions (if there are any at all!) that will not affect students whatsoever. The point I'm making is that teachers that want to strike about Bill 115 should put signs up to tell people to read what it does. I never said Bill 115 was a good move by the Government. In fact, I clearly stated previously that it seems to overstep some boundaries.

Instead, you have some union members going through the emotional route of falsely declaring that they support students, which in turn leads students going on a crusade without actually knowing what they're getting into.

The strike of 2007-2008 involved lots of students supporting the teachers. In reality, did these students really know why it took place? It is FAR more complicated than to pick the teachers' side or pick the Governments' side.

The whole thread wasn't meant to bash at teachers. It was meant to criticize how misguided students are when they jump on the teachers' side. The reverse is true if they support the Government's side.

There's always the group of people (of which you seem to be apart of) that are unhappy when union members are targeted in a discussion, despite the fact that I also criticize how the Government also doesn't care about students.

Everyone seems to have an opinion on the matter. If someone's opinion aligns with yours, does it make it more valid than another person's opinion?

I'll leave that thought to you because you are trying to take this discussion personally.

What proof do you have of this? What, do you know one teacher? Nothing but slander. The last round of bargaining and an on going fight between the BCTF and the govt' had to do with class size limitations and the fact they were illegally stripped from teachers. Where was your support on that one? You were just in here running your mouth about teachers once again. You see your chance to sling some mud and you take it.

So students are misguided whether they side with the teachers or the government? Again, given that they have no recourse that won't impact kids, I wonder why you would be so surprised when the actions they take impact kids. Even if it is things, like said above they don't even get paid to do.

Students should really be allowed to be at the bargaining table - that is my opinion. Both sides have their vested interests to claim that they support students. I feel it is 100 percent pandering.

It is money or future precedent that is more important than what students learn.

What proof do you have that teachers actually support students? There is no slander in this thread. Go read up what it actually means.

Having a negative opinion of Government/union members isn't slander. Saying that Stephen Harper is a war profiteer IS slander though.

Can you see the difference?

You do realize that the thread is regarding Ontario teachers right? I wasn't talking about BCTF.

Why is it a bad thing to hold a negative opinion of both Government AND union members? People bash Conservatives/Liberals/NDPers all the time and according to you, they would all be slandering.

You said teachers that care about students are few and far between. I take great offense to this statement. You didn't say Ontario teachers. I know your MO around here and I don't like it or you. Slander was an apt description.

Kids are 'vulnerable to pandering' all the time, everywhere. That's what parents and teachers are for--teaching kids to learn, think for themselves and be productive people.

Opinions need to be fully informed---good luck fully informing a 6 year old of all the intricacies and details in the collective bargaining process.

But sure guys, good luck with that. I would not want my child exposed to this, weird that you would.

Archived