The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Sedins may sign year-to-year past next season

Strombone1

Sounds like they have already thrown in the towel, mentally speaking. Trade em for picks I say.

“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said this week, as per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.

“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”

They are only 32! Weak

The best thing for the Canucks to do is trade them for a boatload of elite prospects before they expire. If Luongo didn't crap the bed 2 years ago and the twins got their cup, this would have been the best time to unload them.

Anyways, give em one more year to try for the cup. Then invest on top 5 picks by using the valuable twins as trade bait.

The best thing for the Canucks to do is trade them for a boatload of elite prospects before they expire. If Luongo didn't crap the bed 2 years ago and the twins got their cup, this would have been the best time to unload them.

Anyways, give em one more year to try for the cup. Then invest on top 5 picks by using the valuable twins as trade bait.

I think that's fair. At a certain point there has to be some caution in signing long-term deals. I was not a fan of the length of Luongo's deal at all. By year 6 or 7 who knows how his body will be doing and how his mindset will have changed. No use being tied down to a contract.

It's really sad with the Sedins - potentially losing two full seasons of hockey due to the lockout. Their windows of peak-performance play are fading fast.

I hope they retire here though. No bullcrap like with Naslund - sign for one year somewhere else and then retire. Let them do it here as Canucks. It's the only thing that fits.

I'll miss them for sure if they ever leave, or retire.

Sometimes I feel that we as Canucks fans are so desensitized to their plays that unless they score they're just meh. I remember when they first came on the scene and dazzled us all. I hope this half-season or full season off will help us fans realize just how special the Sedins are.

The Sedins will not play for any other NHL team. I think that is a guarantee. They're just going to pull a Lidstrom and decide if they want to keep going year-to-year. It probably does the Canucks a favor by giving them a lot more flexibility, rather than handing them a Luongo contract.

Either way, I still think the Sedins will sign another deal with term after their current one expires - I'd say three-ish years - and at that point take it year-to-year.

Sounds like they have already thrown in the towel, mentally speaking. Trade em for picks I say.

“We’re already taking it year by year right now,” Daniel said this week, as per The Province. “We have a year and a half on this current contract and then mentally I think it will be easier if we go year by year after that.

“Mentally, when you get to this age, to be able to perform, you have to be there. I really believe if you sign a long term deal it will be tougher to perform on a nightly basis.”

They are only 32! Weak

Believe me, I would love to see 22 n 33 prove me wrong, in fact, if they bring us a cup, I'll eat a puck. Quote me on it.

But if their own mindset is telling us that they think they are already losing whatever small edge they had to begin with, then the best thing to do would be to liquidate and move towards building a real contender.

Can't you get arrested for telling someone to kill themselves?

Archived