The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Sedins may sign year-to-year past next season

Strombone1

I have really enjoyed watching the twins work their magic for the past few years and appreciate everything they have done for the organization and the team and the fans. They are special, there is no doubt. Maybe I am being too hard on them for their soft style of play when the blame should perhaps be placed on management for not supplying them with the supporting cast to enable ultimate success.

Maybe.

I'm sure they won't sign anywhere else but Vancouver anyway. If they did, or the season they do retire we will see how horrible this Canucks offence really is. The Sedins make everyone on the team better with their passing and opening up of space, everyone from Kesler on the PP to whoever their winger is to especially the defencemen like Edler, Hamhuis and Bieksa who have been racking up points thanks to the twins.

The season following the Sedins' departure will be a rough one. By that time Kesler will be reduced to a 50-60 point player and will be expected to be our 1st line center while someone like Schroeder or Gaunce will be forced into the 2nd line center role. This is where Hodgson would have transitioned perfectly into our #1 center, because by the time the Sedins retire, he would be hitting his stride at around a point-a-game production.

Smart move, by the time their next contract starts they will be 34. Wouldn't mind a 2-3 years deal for their next contract, but nothing long term. As they said, having a 1 year deal will keep them on the edge mentally. If we're lucky they may end up like Teemu.

Archived