The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Port Mann Tolls

Harbinger

$3600 a year out of your salary to use the bridge. Terrible terrible world we live in..

I would personally drive for an extra 25 min a day and not pay that.

You might save a $1000 in gas or so but just ridiculous.

It's probably not even worth it to save the money. Assuming you are paying $300 a month and not $150 for smaller vehicles. 25 min a day x 260 days a year = 108 hrs you could've saved then yeah I can maybe see your point but chances are too that it'll take you an extra 25 min each way in which case your 108 hrs is more like 216 hrs. and now your gas savings is more like $2000.

I want to know when they are going to install tolls for the Pattullo bridge?

They won't...

There is talk they may shut down the bridge in the coming years until a replacement bridge can be planned and built because it may not meet seismic requirements. The province's priority right now is to replace the Massey Tunnel then the Pattullo.

There is also talk about having a regional road pricing. Charge you based on distance traveled.

Couldn't we have gotten money from the Fed's to offset the cost? After all it is a part of the Trans Canada Highway. It just means Highway 10 and the Alex Fraser Bridge will get a lot more traffic, and it will be a lot more backed up.

Under the British North America Act which has been absorbed into the constitution, the provinces are responsible for highways. The Trans-Canada Highway is not a federally owned or an inter-province highway (which would involve the federal government). It is actually a bunch of provincial highways connected together.

The federal government has no responsibilities and aren't obliged to provide funding.

They won't...

There is talk they may shut down the bridge in the coming years until a replacement bridge can be planned and built because it may not meet seismic requirements. The province's priority right now is to replace the Massey Tunnel then the Pattullo.

There is also talk about having a regional road pricing. Charge you based on distance traveled.

Will they start charging us for how much air we breath in everyday? Maybe call it the air tax lol! BC is starting to become a joke with all these fees and taxes. What is the point of paying the highest taxes in North America if we still have to pay for roads, transit tax, gas tax and every other thing that our tax should cover?

Good thing I only cross the bridge about 5 times a year.

I use Pattullo and that is because I work in Surrey. So I don't see any traffic when am going to Surrey in the morning for work or coming back to Vancouver in the afternoon.

They won't...

It's the other way around. The Patullo will be replaced next, I would expect construction to start not long after the PMH1 and SFPR projects finish (Translink give mid-2015 as the targeted start date).. Translink's current timeline calls for completion of a replacement bridge in 2018.

Christy Clark can say what she wants about replacing the Massey Tunnel, but it's really not on the radar at the moment.

It's the other way around. The Patullo will be replaced next, I would expect construction to start not long after the PMH1 and SFPR projects finish (Translink give mid-2015 as the targeted start date).. Translink's current timeline calls for completion of a replacement bridge in 2018.

Christy Clark can say what she wants about replacing the Massey Tunnel, but it's really not on the radar at the moment.

TransLink can do whatever and say what they want as well. The bridge isn't getting built unless the province is on board.

Will they start charging us for how much air we breath in everyday? Maybe call it the air tax lol! BC is starting to become a joke with all these fees and taxes. What is the point of paying the highest taxes in North America if we still have to pay for roads, transit tax, gas tax and every other thing that our tax should cover?

We do not pay the highest taxes in North America. We pay the highest gas tax in North America.

And yeah...listen to the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, who say everything is a waste of taxpayer money.

We do not pay the highest taxes in North America. We pay the highest gas tax in North America.

And yeah...listen to the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, who say everything is a waste of taxpayer money.

Everytime their chairman is on the news... I cringe.... whines about evvvvvveeeeerrryyyyythhhhhiiiiinnnngggg

We don't pay the highest taxes in North America. I don't see why people are in such an uproar over this stuff. Tolls are a way of life in mjost big cities around North America. People want the infastructure, but are unwilling to pay for it.

It's already been stated that our roads, bridges, tunnels, etc. are in major need of upgrades and repair that it far more expensive than what the taxes bring in.

A pay for use system seems a lot more fair than jacking up taxes for everyone, whether they use the roads or not.

We don't pay the highest taxes in North America. I don't see why people are in such an uproar over this stuff. Tolls are a way of life in mjost big cities around North America. People want the infastructure, but are unwilling to pay for it.

It's already been stated that our roads, bridges, tunnels, etc. are in major need of upgrades and repair that it far more expensive than what the taxes bring in.

A pay for use system seems a lot more fair than jacking up taxes for everyone, whether they use the roads or not.

It's a valid point - however transit prices continue to rise as well.

Also if you live outside of Vancouver, the transit service can be easily described as deplorable.

Everytime their chairman is on the news... I cringe.... whines about evvvvvveeeeerrryyyyythhhhhiiiiinnnngggg

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation seems to be the media's go-to "expert" for everything.

Every time there is a conversation about fare evasion on transit, it always goes a little something like this...

CTF: Fare evasion is growing every year.

TransLink: We have fare paid zones, Transit Police, Transit Security, cameras, counting the number of fare evaders on the bus

CTF: It's inefficient. Transit Police expensive. Transit Security is cheaper.

TransLink: Let's do faregates.

CTF: Waste of taxpayer money.

TransLink: Fare evasion and crime is down system wide

CTF: More can be done.

FFS.

So we pay the highest "gas tax" and also pay transit tax through our property tax yet we still need to pay tolls for bridges and pay each time we park our car (due to increased parking meters). I bet you they will also implement another new way to suck the money off of BC residents by introducing a road pricing system where we will have to pay for each KM traveled by car. Other major North American cities might have tolls but at least they aren't paying the highest "gas tax", transit tax and all the other crap we have to pay.

So we pay the highest "gas tax" and also pay transit tax through our property tax yet we still need to pay tolls for bridges and pay each time we park our car (due to increased parking meters). I bet you they will also implement another new way to suck the money off of BC residents by introducing a road pricing system where we will have to pay for each KM traveled by car. Other major North American cities might have tolls but at least they aren't paying the highest "gas tax", transit tax and all the other crap we have to pay.

Yeah, and other North American cities have a nonexistent public transit system. The gas tax funds both roads and transit.

Gas prices in Vancouver is simply among the highest regardless of the gas tax or not. Gas prices go up, more people are using transit, more service hours are needed, TransLink needs more money, and they increase the gas tax to generate revenue. Not sure if this is the right way to go though.

A road pricing scheme is the best. It is unfair for people that cross only the Port Mann Bridge to carry the burden for the road upgrades on Highway 1 from Langley to Vancouver. Road pricing will generate the required revenue to replace aging infrastructure and help relieve congestion by offering discount rates on non-peak hours. it will force people to make smarter choices.

Every time a person rides transit, they pay a usage fee through a fare. Why should drivers be exempt from a usage fee on the roads?

It's a valid point - however transit prices continue to rise as well.

Also if you live outside of Vancouver, the transit service can be easily described as deplorable.

Transit sucks *** outside of Vancouver! I live in Cloverdale and am sick of paying for something I can't even use becasue of how bad it is. I pay for it with gas taxes, hydro taxes, nat. gas taxes, and property taxes and I barely ever use it because it's just not functional.

Let the transit prices rise. Make the people that use it, pay for it.

British Columbians are such a bunch of dupes. We have all fallen under the privatization government. None of this has to do with government funds. It all has to do with paying back the people that greased the governments palms. They know who pays for their campaigns and they are willing to pay them back a million fold for that honor.

Transit sucks *** outside of Vancouver! I live in Cloverdale and am sick of paying for something I can't even use becasue of how bad it is. I pay for it with gas taxes, hydro taxes, nat. gas taxes, and property taxes and I barely ever use it because it's just not functional.

Let the transit prices rise. Make the people that use it, pay for it.

But my point was - all the taxes are being raised AND THEN the transit rates are being increased

Archived