The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hobbit Thread

Bilbro Baggins

i also felt like the movie COMPLETELY lacked emotion (as opposed to the original films, where i probably cried more than i did as a baby, for whatever reason)

but to not be completely negative (which is difficult, since i had such high, high hopes)

i did like bilbo. i liked the dwarves. i did like ratagast, i did like the way the goblins/orcs looked (minus those dumb wolf things). i liked the shire. i could watch a movie JUST about the shire, for gods sake.

i thought it was visually far superior to the other movies, too. so there's that!

did anyone find jackson's camera work to be just tedious?

the way we'd see the hobbits (or whatever) walking along a cliffside, and the camera pulls back, and off to the side?

yes, jackson, we get it, the world is majestic and we have a nice scaled model

there was literally that same shot / camera 'technique' done about 35 times in the movie. that weird angled pull back.

UGH

oooh, yeah, towards the end I remember a few of thorin. i guess it didn't bother me at the time, but now i definitely remember

i do remember the goblin cave thing had ridiculously fast cuts and edits, though. i couldn't even tell what was going on half the time

Can anyone who's seen the movie and read the book tell me whether going to see it would cause someone who's favourite childhood novel was The Hobbit to run screaming and crying from the theatre? What I mean is, how badly does he mess with the book, on a scale of 1-10?

I know this is generally a stupid reason to hate a movie but honestly it's the reason I'm still debating whether to go see it. I will definitely wait for the crowds to die down at least so I don't have the added insult of having to wait in line for an hour.

I loved this movie. I can understand how people could see that the pacing was off and that it is too drawn out or detailed, but I for one loved that about this movie. I thought the tone matched that of the book surprisingly well. The acting was phenomenal and the CGI was amazing. I also loved how well they tied it in with the Fellowship, it was masterfully done. Once the movie had ended, I felt the need to watch it again. I rarely ever get that with movies, usually once is enough then I can wait until it is released on DVD. The ending leaves you wanting more and I already cannot wait for part 2.

Looking back on the movie, there is nothing that I didn't like about it. Hell, I thought I was going to hate Radagast, but ended up liking him a surprising amount. In regards to the 48 frames per second; I was immediately shocked by the clarity of the movie, but it took a couple minutes to get used to it. The first scene of Bilbo looked like it was in fast forward, but after that when it showed a flashback to the Dwarven land of Erebor everything looked beautiful.

All in all, it isn't as good as the Lord of the Rings movies, but is still a great cinematic experience. I would rate it an 87/100. I have a feeling the next two movies will be even better.

Archived