The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. hit-run caught on camera

Grapefruits

No I wouldn't have. I wouldn't have stepped into that lane of traffic if I thought there was any chance of the car turning left into me. I've seen people almost get hit before, and people get hit from not looking. It's not something I'm going to take a chance with.

No I wouldn't have. I wouldn't have stepped into that lane of traffic if I thought there was any chance of the car turning left into me. I've seen people almost get hit before, and people get hit from not looking. It's not something I'm going to take a chance with.

The thread maker is an apologist of bad driving.

For the record, I'm almost always the pedestrian with the earphones. But the difference is that I have my head on a swivel - looking over my shoulder all the time and only crossing if I see cars behaving the way they should. Too many times have cars tried to turn early even though I was on the other side of the crosswalk, walking towards where they were turning.

The OP is forgetting something. The drivers' handbook for newbies says that drivers are supposed to wait till pedestrians fully cross the crosswalk. That means a lot of these drivers would fail the drivers' test. Both of them.

Like I said above, my decision-making when walking a crosswalk acknowledges the fact that pedestrians should watch for bad drivers, but the onus is not on the pedestrian. There's a reason why being a car driver requires a license and no license for being a pedestrian.

OP, you're completely out to lunch for trying to say pedestrians have "responsibility" on this issue.

Actually yes. When I get to the half way point I take a quick check behind me to see if anyone is in the turn lane or might be turning left into my path of where I am going to be walking. I'm not about to take any chances. If they would have taken a look they would have seen the driver. Maybe I'm paranoid because of recent back surgery, but I'm not in the mood to get hit because of some idiot not paying attention while driving.

I never said they are to blame, I stated the driver is 100% to blame. I just feel it could have been prevented.

Considering how many people have been hit in the past few days (5 more tonight) I suggest more people take an extra look before proceeding in front of possible turning vehicles.

The pedestrians shouldn't have to look around, they were 100 % in the right. That's like saying a car driving thru a green light that gets t-boned by a car that ran a red light should have been paying attention.

The thread maker is an apologist of bad driving.

For the record, I'm almost always the pedestrian with the earphones. But the difference is that I have my head on a swivel - looking over my shoulder all the time and only crossing if I see cars behaving the way they should. Too many times have cars tried to turn early even though I was on the other side of the crosswalk, walking towards where they were turning.

The OP is forgetting something. The drivers' handbook for newbies says that drivers are supposed to wait till pedestrians fully cross the crosswalk. That means a lot of these drivers would fail the drivers' test. Both of them.

Like I said above, my decision-making when walking a crosswalk acknowledges the fact that pedestrians should watch for bad drivers, but the onus is not on the pedestrian. There's a reason why being a car driver requires a license and no license for being a pedestrian.

OP, you're completely out to lunch for trying to say pedestrians have "responsibility" on this issue.

Archived