The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Earphones (IEMs) and Headphones Fan Thread

Dazzle

I might try those Marshall headphones.. And against popular opinion, I might just invest some money into Dr. Dre beats. I know I know it's terrible but I like em and I can get em for a good price so it doesn't matter to me.

There are A LOT of fakes out there, but that applies for brands like Sennheiser too for their low-end price tag items, which IMO, is garbage and tarnishes the brand which actually does produce some really good stuff.

There's SO many earphones/headphones out there (not even suggesting a brand as that might reveal my own biasness) that you should totally do your own research rather than revert back to the most marketed brand.

Beats are bashed for the right reasons, I think. It's just not really that good, especially at its price. It's heavily marked up.

If you have money to throw around or "invest", you especially NEED to look at the stuff that's available.

Look at this list.

http://forum.blu-ray...ad.php?t=102358

Is a pretty damning testament that there's a lot of brands out there than what consumers are used to knowing. Most ppl will recognize Dr. Dre beats on that list immediately - but it is made by Monster. And Monster makes more than one product. Monster Turbine Pro Gold is one of their better items made. By contrast, Dr. Dre Beats really can't compare in all facets.

That list doesn't include IEM brands which some of which have already been mentioned in this thread.

There's really no excuse to spend your hard-earned money on a celebrity prop item. If you didn't know any better, that's fine - that's what marketing does though - inform or mislead the public.

But if you supposedly knew you were going into a trap, that's just ugh. It's like the insect that goes into a Venus fly trap.

Pretty sweet collection of earphones/headphones.

JH Audio! Pretty pricey!

Definitely a lot of recognizable names and model numbers!

When did you start getting into earphones/headphones?

Thanks! You have a pretty impressive collection of IEMs yourself - all of which I've read good things about. I was a bit of a music/headphone nut a few years back and amassed quite a collection of headphones/amps/DACS/aftermarket cables in the pursuit of good audio. I've scaled back recently and have whittled it down to the Sennheiser HD600, HD800 and JH13pros and have been happy enough for the time being.

Adding to the above.. a few months ago I picked up a pair of Incase Sonic headphones for a work trip. I wanted something relatively cheap that I could take with me in transit. They were just over $100 but have definitely taken me by surprise. I think they are starting to be discontinued, but they are probably the best bang-for-your buck headphones I've come across - comfy as heck too. Worth while to check out!

Is a pretty damning testament that there's a lot of brands out there than what consumers are used to knowing. Most ppl will recognize Dr. Dre beats on that list immediately - but it is made by Monster. And Monster makes more than one product. Monster Turbine Pro Gold is one of their better items made. By contrast, Dr. Dre Beats really can't compare in all facets.

Not anymore. Monster backed out of producing Beats, and that's mostly why you're seeing so many varieties of colours and types of BBD now: wireless, mixr, coloured solos, and new mini boomboxes. Most of Monster is overpriced as well (their HDMI cables for instance); high quality, but overpriced.

http://latimesblogs....headphones.html

article:

Beats Electronics and Monster Cable Products, two companies that together defined the current $1-billion headphone industry with the Beats by Dr. Dre line, are parting ways at the end of the year.

But before the two become competitors in a segment of consumer electronics that is just as much about fashion as it is technology, a wave of new Beats by Dr. Dre headphones and boom boxes (built by Monster) will hit store shelves.

At the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas last week, I caught up with Jimmy Iovine, Beats Electronics' chairman and CEO of Interscope Geffen A&M Records, to talk about what products the Beats brand had planned for 2012 (you can see our interview in the video above).

First up will be the new Mixr headphones, designed by Grammy-winning producer and DJ David Guetta. The Mixr is a lightweight and strong design -- I twisted and bent the headband, and it returned to form and never felt week -- that offers the bass-heavy sound Beats is known for. At $279, the Mixr is set to hit U.S. stores in early February in black and white. They're already available in Europe.

February will also see a wireless release of the Solo headphones, also priced at $279. And due in mid-September are the $349 Executive headphones, which bring a sleeker and more understated look with a leather headband and aluminum ear cups.

Iovine was also proud of the new BeatBox, a follow-up to the first-generation (and much less portable)BeatBox, which will sell at a price of $399. A release date hasn't yet been set for the new battery- or AC-powered BeatBox, which plays music from smartphones and MP3 players docked on the speaker setup.

Since launching in 2009, Beats has teamed with Justin Beiber, Lady Gaga and Sean "Diddy" Combs for artist-sponsored headphones. The Mixr is the only artist-specific set of headphones planned for 2012, Iovine said.

But this year we will see more HTC smartphonespaired with Beats headphones as a result of HTC purchasing a $300-million stake in the audio company late last year, he said. And Beats speakers will be found not just in the Chrysler 300, as they were in 2011, but also in the Dodge Charger. And, as we saw at CES, Beats speakers are making their way into more HP laptops this year too.

After the Monster manufacturing deal expires at the end of the year, Beats plans to go out on its own,Iovine told my colleague Gerrick D. Kennedy on our sister blog Pop & Hiss. Despite reports to the contrary, Iovine said, the split was always the audio start-up's intention.

"It was always planned. It was always a five-year deal," Iovine said. "It was a manufacturing distribution deal. We were with Monster for headphones and speakers. It was always a plan to turn into a freestanding company."

Thanks! You have a pretty impressive collection of IEMs yourself - all of which I've read good things about. I was a bit of a music/headphone nut a few years back and amassed quite a collection of headphones/amps/DACS/aftermarket cables in the pursuit of good audio. I've scaled back recently and have whittled it down to the Sennheiser HD600, HD800 and JH13pros and have been happy enough for the time being.

Adding to the above.. a few months ago I picked up a pair of Incase Sonic headphones for a work trip. I wanted something relatively cheap that I could take with me in transit. They were just over $100 but have definitely taken me by surprise. I think they are starting to be discontinued, but they are probably the best bang-for-your buck headphones I've come across - comfy as heck too. Worth while to check out!

Thanks! You're too kind! I am not quite a collector yet but one day, who knows?

That's awesome. Your current collection is wicked! What do you typically listen from? (What audio source?)

I've heard that aftermarket cables make a difference in sound - is it actually true? So, the stock cables actually limit the earphones? I haven't tried them before.

Not anymore. Monster backed out of producing Beats, and that's mostly why you're seeing so many varieties of colours and types of BBD now: wireless, mixr, coloured solos, and new mini boomboxes. Most of Monster is overpriced as well (their HDMI cables for instance); high quality, but overpriced.

http://latimesblogs....headphones.html

article:

Hm... very interesting.

Thanks for the article.

And you're really right on the part where it is "overpriced". Their stuff is notoriously expensive - and yes, high quality.

Beats, as a brand, sure got a huge rocket-lift from riding with Monster and Dr. Dre though.

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say you're completely wrong, apple earbuds are completely terrible. Of course you wouldn't know the difference in quality, as you've apparently never picked up a set worth more than 30 dollars. If apple's name wasn't on the earbuds, they would probably sell for 10 dollars. That's how cheap they are: there is no clarity, bass, or and crisp sounds whatsoever.

Theres a reason I buy them off eBay for like $1.50/pair, since I find ways to wreck them when working (pull cord, rip it, cut it, etc.).

Would like a nice pair that I can wear to the gym, only thing is a few of the pairs I have had in the past just don't fit in my ears as well as the Apple ones so I have always been skeptical to pay money for new pairs.

Theres a reason I buy them off eBay for like $1.50/pair, since I find ways to wreck them when working (pull cord, rip it, cut it, etc.).

Would like a nice pair that I can wear to the gym, only thing is a few of the pairs I have had in the past just don't fit in my ears as well as the Apple ones so I have always been skeptical to pay money for new pairs.

Fit is so easy to get.

There's lots of inner ear monitors that fit right into the ear canal.

There's also different sizes to pick.

Apple's "fit" is nothing special. You WILL find a match if you look.

As for damage, get earphones with replaceable cables. You can just replace them getting another cable that fits that earphone. It makes the earphones last so much more than wastefully throwing it away.

Also.. more than likely you're buying fake Apple earbuds. LOL.

http://reviews.ebay.ca/Apple-iPod-White-Earphone-Earbuds-Real-or-Fake?ugid=10000000018755745

http://www.cultofmac.com/12465/copycats-target-30-apple-earbuds-and-theyre-near-perfect/

Fit is so easy to get.

There's lots of inner ear monitors that fit right into the ear canal.

There's also different sizes to pick.

Apple's "fit" is nothing special. You WILL find a match if you look.

As for damage, get earphones with replaceable cables. You can just replace them getting another cable that fits that earphone. It makes the earphones last so much more than wastefully throwing it away.

Also.. more than likely you're buying fake Apple earbuds. LOL.

http://reviews.ebay....000000018755745

http://www.cultofmac...e-near-perfect/

Haha I know I am buying fake ones :P I used to go through a pair every 1-2 days at work before I changed jobs so cheap ones were useful.

Most earbuds don't fit in my canal it seems. I tried a pair of beats studio (?) and a couple others and just had crap luck so far.

Haha I know I am buying fake ones :P I used to go through a pair every 1-2 days at work before I changed jobs so cheap ones were useful.

Most earbuds don't fit in my canal it seems. I tried a pair of beats studio (?) and a couple others and just had crap luck so far.

Yikes! That's really expensive, especially with shipping and all. That dollar adds up.

There's a difference between earbuds and earphones.

Earbuds are the ones that lie flat outside your ears, just covering it, but doesn't go into your canal.

Earphones go into the canal.

IEMs go even deeper into the canal, which is why they are inner ear monitors. They generally provide the most sound isolation (not as much sound leakage).

No, I know people who work at Best Buy/Future Shop who can get it for me if I really wanted it.

Then please go look at other earphones AND/OR headphones - because of the variety that's there. If you like headphones, try using Shures. DJs use Shures a lot - and for good reason. They are a solid brand.

Out of the 4 apple products I've had that come with headphones, not once have they ever stopped working/malfunctioned. I dont understand why it happens to everyone else :mellow:

Shrugs. Maybe you had a more decent batch?

Yours actually came with headphones (wraps around the top of the head).. or earphones? (goes into canal), or earbuds? (the ones that lie outside your ear canal)?

Then please go look at other earphones AND/OR headphones - because of the variety that's there. If you like headphones, try using Shures. DJs use Shures a lot - and for good reason. They are a solid brand.

I'm just looking for a headphone that gives decent bass and good sound quality for every music genre. I know a coworker who has the Monster headphones (not Dr. Dre) and he said they were pretty good

Yikes! That's really expensive, especially with shipping and all. That dollar adds up.

There's a difference between earbuds and earphones.

Earbuds are the ones that lie flat outside your ears, just covering it, but doesn't go into your canal.

Earphones go into the canal.

IEMs go even deeper into the canal, which is why they are inner ear monitors. They generally provide the most sound isolation (not as much sound leakage).

Yea you can see why I was buying cheap knockoffs for my old job. I bought a package of like 40 for $55 after shipping and got maybe 10 left since I don't use them anymore.

I didn know the difference with IEMs so I will go check them out since I will only use them for the gym from now on.

So, I feel like rewarding myself for quitting smoking with some earbuds. I'm generally a huge Sennheiser mark, but these Klipsch in-ears are available for like $80 and are probably just the bees knees.

31uzm9p1jGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.ca...55117667&sr=1-6

What do?

I think Sennheisers are a good brand overall, but they do make some 'bad' entry level stuff. I think the Klipsch earphones at that price are a good choice though. I haven't heard them personally but do try to listen to them if you can. I think Klipsch sound signature tends to be on the bassy side though, which is good if you like some bass-oriented music.

Not sure if they're the bee's knees (cool term though!) because Klipsch does make some really expensive earphones (check out the X10i for example!), though price doesn't necessarily define quality. It's worth checking out though ;)

Are you planning on using them with a phone? (I see the mic buttons)

I'm just looking for a headphone that gives decent bass and good sound quality for every music genre. I know a coworker who has the Monster headphones (not Dr. Dre) and he said they were pretty good

Yea, you're gonna have a really hard time to start if you're looking for that. That defines practically every single headphone company. You'll definitely need to narrow down because that search parameter is way too big.

What's a budget that you have in mind for them? There are some really great headphones out there if you look at websites like Head-fi or other sites like that and you don't necessarily need to give an arm and a leg.

Again, look stuff up - read what people say. Don't easily settle for a brand, especially if it's Dr. Dre Beats.

Yea, you're gonna have a really hard time to start if you're looking for that. That defines practically every single headphone company. You'll definitely need to narrow down because that search parameter is way too big.

What's a budget that you have in mind for them? There are some really great headphones out there if you look at websites like Head-fi or other sites like that and you don't necessarily need to give an arm and a leg.

Again, look stuff up - read what people say. Don't easily settle for a brand, especially if it's Dr. Dre Beats.

Anything less than $150 would be a good price for me. I'll just keep looking.. I do like a couple I saw on Best Buy though.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sennheiser-sennheiser-stereo-headphone-hd429-hd-429/10199828.aspx?path=8cc8a1ae52b82d6d538f6a0234f58824en02

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/sennheiser-sennheiser-dj-headphones-hd205ii-hd205ii/10156182.aspx?path=c74c76ce2e143f6f82aa958433e84708en02

i listen to hip hop, electro, a little classic rock, and a little dubstep and I can tell you now that you're just going to be complaining about your beats that you're going to buy.

For starters, they get uncomfortable to wear after about 30 minutes. Find something with a little more padding (such as the XB700's i posted earlier, perhaps).

Just by looking at specs, the beats aren't very good. The frequency ratio is pretty narrow in comparison to other headphones at that price, and the bass power isn't actually very well either (the XB700's pack a wider hertz and ohms ratio as well).

Also, you said that "somebody else has Monster headphones": as posted above, Monster doesn't manufacture beats anymore; you won't find their name on the box, or headphones of the new ones. As far as I've heard, they're just as bad as the old ones.

You can go ahead and waste your money any way you please, however I can tell you that you're going to be dissatisfied with Beats in 3 weeks, one week past the return date, and they'll be up on craigslist.

For those wondering, I have tried Beats Solos(on ear feels terrible), Studios (not enough padding, feels like its pressing against your head and gives you a headache), Pros (waaaaaaaay too heavy, and worse than the studios in my opinion), and tours (break in a week. Not worth your money.), so I have quite a bit of experience and knowledge of the brand.

Archived