The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sedins surprise Triple A Midget team in practice

hockeyville88

So cool to see them sitting on the bench and taking shifts just like all the other players. Really nice thing of them to do. Perhaps the only silver lining to this lockout.

Click on the link for video

Henrik Sedin misses hockey.

He misses the locker room, the trainers, the darkened, chilled, damp nights he spends driving to a rink to play.

He can’t tell how much of his life has been sponged by the game, but he’s sure it’s well beyond the 10,000-hour mark which has gone from Malcolm Gladwell’s book Outliers to our collective consciousness.

Ten thousand hours of practice is thought by some to be what it takes to become a world beater. But not every hour is created equal. Just ask the Vancouver Thunderbirds Triple A Midget team.

They got the hour of their hockey lives this week when the Sedins, as part of an NHLPA initiative, slipped into one of the skates at Hillcrest Arena, and danced with them in a series of on-ice drills.

Henrik and Daniel set them up for goals, batted bodies against them along the boards, and drew up some two-on-two plays which always showcase the Sedins at their most marvelous.

When it was over, the young men gathered in the dressing room, and the Sedins told stories. The most timeless and counter-narrative dealt with their view on taking punishment on the ice. They welcome it, and encourage it. Take a run at them along the boards and those open spaces they are always seeking appear around the net. It’s a welcomed trade off.

As they said, it instantly began challenging the young players’ definition of that word toughness which can hang around in hockey rinks like a thick fog.

For the teens, it was a night they will never forget, and an etching that will grow in grandeur as the years pass by.

For the Sedins, it was a reminder of their youth; of their hometown; of their deep, long connection to a game they can’t play right now.

“It brought back a lot of memories of when I was younger, especially thinking of us and when we were starting out, playing at night on an outdoor rink,” Henrik said. “You’d be out there at 7:30 or 8 at night. We’d have big lights to light it all up and we’d be out there practicing for an hour and a half.

“You’d come home at 11 at night, and it was right to bed because you knew you had school the morning after.”

When the Sedins were 15, they were in their hometown of Ornskoldsvik, Sweden. The summers were about soccer. But their winters were taken up playing for Modo’s youth team and it was all hockey all of the time.

“In the winter, we were at the rink every night,” Henrik said. “We would practice three times a week.

We’d play once or twice a week. And on the other nights, we’d be there because our older brothers were practicing. On those nights, we’d play street hockey outside.

“It was this feeling like you couldn’t get enough.”

Now, the Sedins can’t get any because of the lockout, other than those practices a few times a week with the UBC Thunderbirds.

“I absolutely miss playing. It’s part of my life,” Henrik said. “I miss going down to the rink. I miss teammates, trainers and I just hope it’s going to start out soon.”

The Sedins made an interesting decision heading into this fall. They could have stayed in Sweden or searched out opportunities to play in Europe for the lockout. Instead, they wanted to be in Vancouver. It has become a home, interestingly, to the point where they are at least considering the idea of retiring here.

“It’s different from Sweden because that’s where we grew up and that’s probably where we’ll go back to when we retire,” Daniel said. “But it’s getting tougher and tougher every year to make that decision.”

Part of that is how accepted they have become in Vancouver, whether they are grocery shopping, or at the coffee shop or on the sidelines at a youth hockey practice.

“I never wanted to feel limited in what I could do,” Henrik said. “I need to be out there shopping, picking up whatever. It’s part of life.

“And that was the one thing that scared both of us when we first got here. We knew how big hockey was. You read stories how much attention is on hockey players in a Canadian city.

“I didn’t know if I could ever go out and sit down at a coffee shop. But it’s been fine, and that’s been a nice surprise.”

Daniel retold the story about how they spent a lot of time thinking about leaving in those first few years.

“I never thought we’d be this comfortable,” Daniel said. “I thought we’d play out our first contract in Vancouver and go home.

“It was as tough as it ever was early on. It was tough to leave our hometown. Then, we didn’t live up to our expectations. We wanted to make our fans, and owners and people happy because of our play and we didn’t do that our first few years.”

The Sedins often call those “the important years” and look back at them with no regret.

“I wouldn’t want those years back,” Daniel said. “We needed to come over and we needed to come over at that age. We needed to go through that. We look at hockey differently. We look at everything differently.

“We’ve learned to take things, the highs and lows, in a different way than most players who haven’t been through a rough patch like that would.

“We know how to deal with things and get through things.”

Henrik called the decision to stay in Vancouver through this lockout “very easy.”

“What we wanted to do was spend time here as two regular families,” Henrik said. “We wanted to try it out. Yes, we miss hockey, but it’s been great to drive the kids to school and be a part of their lives.

“You drive your son to hockey practice at night, you drive around for soccer practice. You see friends you don’t see during the winter.

“When you’re a hockey player, they treat you like a hockey player. But now, I’m just a dad. Just a normal person.

“It’s nice.”

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/Sedin+Twins+surprise+Vancouver+Thunderbirds+Triple+Midget+team+showing+practice+video/7705745/story.html#ixzz2FBCBZOEo

I liked the fact that this his now home for them, sounds like they are staying here (or are in the process of thinking it through) until they retire. They really want to bring a cup to Vancouver, all heart.

People forget how they were treated their first few years here, and even recently in the first steps in the playoffs, 'sisters', 'not tough' etc etc.

Superstars - as players and people. These are the type of men you want your child to idolize if his hero is a hockey player. Boy will winning a cup be even more special if Henrik and Daniel raise it. The types of comments they made (about fighting through, about staying here) are what real Canucks fans admire not the wins and losses because we grew up with a team that never won, but just brought the fight everynight.

Thank you Daniel and Henrik for some of the most amazing hockey I have seen as a Canucks fan, for what you do for the city of Vancouver, and what I am happy to hear is OUR city.

Amazing, I was so mad at the players for this Lockout and the class of these two just makes me love the Canucks even more.

You shouldn't care what people think, but did you see the way Hank played against LA? Miles better than any Canuck forward imo. You know how the Sedins have constantly had to deal with criticism, and overcome it? How they weren't good third liners? Good second liners? Good first liners? I think the Sedins (Henrik in particular) are ready for prime time come playoff time. I hope we get hockey soon.

This is a neat article, it really shows the human side of hockey. Yes, the twins could've gone off to play in Sweden, they are more than capable, but instead, I think for once, they wanted to just be dads and husbands. I never thought I could picture Hank or Daniel pushing a grocery buggy around the grocery store, or picture them doing menial household chores, because I've always pictured them doing hockey. This article opens up that they too, enjoy taking their kids to school, helping them with their school work, and just living a simple life for a little while. I know that they miss hockey but I think its neat that the twins give us a glimpse of their lives outside of hockey despite the lockout. They're happy, to do other things that we their fans may never have thought of them doing. Thank you Hank and Daniel for being a part of our wonderful city, and I hope to see you on the ice again soon. (In a NHL game, of course!)

Hope they retire here and the organisation can include the veterans in the club more.

Sad how former Canucks are all around and never included in day to day promotions and game day or club promotions and events.

I would love to go see Cliff and Pavel and Gino.Maybe the club will clue in and the vets will stay with the club and that will build the legacy and improve relations with fans.

After yet another Bettman/owner grab/lockout the clubs could use all the positive PR they can get.

We love the Canucks for the players.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived