The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Favourite elective/prof at UBC?

MillerGenuineDraft

So I've completely accepted the fact that there are no easy courses/GPA boosters at UBC. It's more to do with how interested you are in the subject. I'm looking for interesting electives, because quite frankly, I absolutely hated EOSC 114 (the so called GPA booster).

What was you're most enjoyable course to take? Or Professor?

I took a religious studies class which I thought was pretty interesting; the people in the class were pretty open to talking and chill b/c the prof said she wanted that and so it's usually pretty lax when we have discussions (not that they're not productive, but the atmosphere is pretty relaxed while the discussions were pretty thought-provoking).

Can anyone give feedback about the wine class? I've seen people take it and it doesn't seem too difficult to memorize and sample different wines and some facts about them.

I took a religious studies class which I thought was pretty interesting; the people in the class were pretty open to talking and chill b/c the prof said she wanted that and so it's usually pretty lax when we have discussions (not that they're not productive, but the atmosphere is pretty relaxed while the discussions were pretty thought-provoking).

Can anyone give feedback about the wine class? I've seen people take it and it doesn't seem too difficult to memorize and sample different wines and some facts about them.

Well I go to UBCO, but I just gotta throw out that the Chem prof Edward Neeland is just an awesome professor. If any of you go to UBCO and are going into 1st year Chem, definitely try to get in his lecture. He's engaging and funny, and challenges you deservedly...no way you can fail if you attend all his lectures and do the quizzes.

Wasn't until university when I could really appreciate how teacher's affect your education...on both ends of the spectrum. Had some truly crappy profs.

My favourite elective (and probably favourite class overall too) was Environmental Science 200. Amazing profs and guest speakers, extremely interesting content, and no final exam. It's no GPA booster but it's not too hard to get a good mark either. And it might change the way you see the world.

I don't know about UBC van as I'm out here at UBCO, but if you're into the making of film at all, I'm sure there's a film studies course (it was FILM 100 here). I personally found it boring as all hell, but hey, everybody has different interests. I still ended up with a 90 and probably went to 9 lectures throughout the entire semester (even after missing almost every movie on wednesday - 2 and a half hour movie classes on wednesday).

Well I go to UBCO, but I just gotta throw out that the Chem prof Edward Neeland is just an awesome professor. If any of you go to UBCO and are going into 1st year Chem, definitely try to get in his lecture. He's engaging and funny, and challenges you deservedly...no way you can fail if you attend all his lectures and do the quizzes.

If you need to take a Biology elective, try and take a course with Shona Ellis. She's the Associate Head of Biology, and is super, super nice, and very enthusiastic about the subject matter.

She teaches botany, and specializes in Bryology (the study of mosses, liverworts, and hornworts).

A lot of her courses include lab components and optional field trips to various locations which she usually personally takes you on.

I took BIOL209 (Non-vascular plants) with her. Most people don't find this subject particularly interesting, but Shona makes it fun. The course wasn't very difficult either. If you enjoy cutting stuff up and looking at them under microscopes, you'll enjoy tyhe lab component as well.

Archived