The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Agree about Hodgson (but we beat that dead horse enough) and to a lesser extent Luongo's contract but you lost me at #6. Corrado was a steal of a pick, for a 5th rounder to be such a late cut to the hardest team to make for any player in his age group is just awesome, especially in a lock out year. It's bad we didn't get Schultz but the Canucks management can't force him to sign, he made his choice and it wasn't teh Canucks can't fault the team for that. It's too early to throw Garrison under the bus he's yet to play a single game as a Canuck.

1. Can't be considered a mistake. Schultz chose a team that will benifit him more in the future. He joined a young team full of potential star players, rather than joining an aging team, with little to no upcoming players that will help the team in the future.

2. I hated the signing from the start, and I knew that it would hinder us greatly in the future. But I can't blame Gillis for doing this, since we couldn't predict what Cory would become.

3. Kesler's injury problem is bad luck, and the team needs size and strength, which Kass brings. Only time will tell if he can produce, as well as he hits.

4. Can't comment. Haven't seen him play.

5. Ellington is a flop. And losing two fourth rounders isn't going to kill us.

6. Corrado's great. No complaints. Shouldn't have been cut. Gaunce's injury is just bad luck, no way we could've predicted his injury.

7. ...

Overall hindsight is hindsight, mixed in with a lot of bad luck... Can't dwell on it too long, since nothing will ever come of it. Unless of course we're able to invent a time machine. Or if we're able to trade Luongo for one or more top-tier prospects.

The only way you could have gotten Schultz was offered him top 4 and PP time, which would have shown massive disrespect to your legit top 4 guys. Guys on the team would have lost respect for Gillis. On Gillis's team you earn your spot - that's the proper way unless you are the oilers who are crappy and can't attract players.

The AHL is not the NHL. The guy seems legit but the level at the NHL is 'the level'.

Wow, just wow. First of all, the AHL is miles away from the NHL.

Could Bieksa or Edler put up 1.5 PPG in the AHL? Are you freakin kidding me? These guys put up 40 and 50 points in the NHL! You know, the best league in the world? You honestly think Schultz is just gonna waltz in and do that, while trying to learn the speed of the NHL, and not get manhandled in the defensive end?

<p>Just started to think back now on some critical organizational decisions made the past few years and thinking whether decisions made/not made in the new regime are coming back to bite us?

1) Schultz - tearing up the AHL, and while there was a push, decides on the Oilers; now knowing Edler/Garrison have injury issues and K-Conn is having an average year....did not getting him and being with another conference team going to cost us?

2) Luongo and his contract - at first everyone loved his contract and now with the murky new CBA, he may never be offloaded or if he does get traded, is dealt for less than he could of been...was his massive contract going to hamper the team's needs?

3)Hodgson - no need to go into this one; but with Kesler battling 'major injuries' and rumors he's still a ways away/may never regain his former game (wrist/shoulder injuries) plus add the fact we traded him for another 'question mark' - did it not make sense to either get back a centermen or keep Hodgson as C depth that appears needed now?

4)Drafting Pat McNally - was our only high pick that year (no 1st rounder) and now he's developmentally in limbo (Harvard school issues)

5) Sami Pahlsson = waste of a pickup (given away high picks) and then moved to the SEL

6) Corrado = plays well but then gets surprising cut; Gaunce injured and can't even try out for junior tournie = both a step back for development?

7) Lockout = this isn't the teams' fault, but every time there's a decision for the league to do a lockout, the Canucks suffer significantly on the ice(see 94, 04 and TBD for 2012?)

I can only think of one decisions in hindsight which turned out well = acquiring Higgins/Lapierre/Torres who were instrumental in the last cup finals run....There could be more to add to this list that I'm missing, but does it seem lately decisions are not favoring the organization?

Your answer is yes, than? You're saying that Kevin Bieksa would be getting 1.5 PPG if he was in the AHL, today? Fat chance.

Only the most dominant AHL players - Getzlaf, Perry, for example - have done what Schultz is doing right now. And Getz & Perry only played in 17 and 19 games. You're not giving what Schultz is doing enough credit.

Show me a case of a rookie putting up similar numbers in the AHL and going on to not have a good NHL career. This is not Mark Mancari or Jason Jaffray we're talking about here. This is a 22 year-old rookie.

We have Connauton,not to worry.

2 G,8 A and a -10.

14 G ,24 A and a +13 for Justin.

Schultz was quoted a million times as wanting to play for the Canucks.

In the end ,Deadmonton came out and convinced Schultz to play in Edmonton-Gretzky and Coffey plugging Edmonton privately to the kid.

Can anybody here tell me what the Canucks offered as incentive?

This looks pathetic for even the most ardent Canucks management prop boy on CDC.

Must have been a real sell job.

As I said, whether it is decisions out of the teams' control (like the tragic loss of Bourdon, the NHL lockout, etc) or whether it was in their control (trading for Ballard, Ehrhoff walking, trading Hodgson mid season and for who, signing Lui for an excessive multi year contract, etc) the observation made was whether it seems the decisions that are made in 'hindsight' are making the Canucks for the better or for the worst?

If there's decisions made or 'non decisions' made that have worked for the best in the past 2-3 seasons, then go ahead and list them. I said one positive was Higgins/Lapierre being added (which helped the cup run).

To me it seems a high % of calls, non-calls haven't seemed to pan out lately? If so, what does that say about the team direction and decision makers?

As for Corrado - let's hope it doesn't hinder his development being cut and missing out on a potential gold medal championship. Not often a Canuck draft pick plays at the World's and the fact he played well is strange he got cut...

And as for Schultz - he's going to be a player in the NHL. Not Jon Slaney but more Nik Lidstrom.

Archived