The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Corrado taking a developmental step back?

When Corrado started the year noone would have dreamed that he would have been invited to that camp. Sure he didn't make the team but if the lockout ends or there is an injury on D, he's on Team Canada! If that draft was redone now, he would go within the 1st round.

Corrado has taken a huge leap in development. Just saying.

<p>Just started to think back now on some critical organizational decisions made the past few years and thinking whether decisions made/not made in the new regime are coming back to bite us?

1) Schultz - tearing up the AHL, and while there was a push, decides on the Oilers; now knowing Edler/Garrison have injury issues and K-Conn is having an average year....did not getting him and being with another conference team going to cost us?

2) Luongo and his contract - at first everyone loved his contract and now with the murky new CBA, he may never be offloaded or if he does get traded, is dealt for less than he could of been...was his massive contract going to hamper the team's needs?

3)Hodgson - no need to go into this one; but with Kesler battling 'major injuries' and rumors he's still a ways away/may never regain his former game (wrist/shoulder injuries) plus add the fact we traded him for another 'question mark' - did it not make sense to either get back a centermen or keep Hodgson as C depth that appears needed now?

4)Drafting Pat McNally - was our only high pick that year (no 1st rounder) and now he's developmentally in limbo (Harvard school issues)

5) Sami Pahlsson = waste of a pickup (given away high picks) and then moved to the SEL

6) Corrado = plays well but then gets surprising cut; Gaunce injured and can't even try out for junior tournie = both a step back for development?

7) Lockout = this isn't the teams' fault, but every time there's a decision for the league to do a lockout, the Canucks suffer significantly on the ice(see 94, 04 and TBD for 2012?)

I can only think of one decisions in hindsight which turned out well = acquiring Higgins/Lapierre/Torres who were instrumental in the last cup finals run....There could be more to add to this list that I'm missing, but does it seem lately decisions are not favoring the organization?

We have Connauton,not to worry.

2 G,8 A and a -10.

14 G ,24 A and a +13 for Justin.

Schultz was quoted a million times as wanting to play for the Canucks.

In the end ,Deadmonton came out and convinced Schultz to play in Edmonton-Gretzky and Coffey plugging Edmonton privately to the kid.

Can anybody here tell me what the Canucks offered as incentive?

This looks pathetic for even the most ardent Canucks management prop boy on CDC.

Must have been a real sell job.

That's ironic,DeNiro.

"Over hyping needs to stop?" You are kidding us? Tell me you are kidding us.

The kid is leading the entire AHL in scoring and he is a rookie d man.

Take a few reality pills and get back to us.Justin has almost 50% more pts. than the entire D corps of the Wolves- combined.

Can you tell us what Canucks management offered up to Schultz as incentives to sign here? Name one thing.

Alain sitting you at the end of the bench so he can keep his job?

Sitting next to a very talented Keith Ballard every night while you watch Alberts and Joslin play?

Watching Tanev take all your minutes while never scoring an NHL goal?

Canucks management are not known as player development overachievers.

This team is crying for a talented offensive d man to compliment the Sedins and the next generation.

It's like they dislike talented d men as they sure don't covet them.It is evident this mgmt. does not understand how important offensive pivots really are-Ehrhoff allowed to walk over Bieksa,Salo,Schultz.How many former NHL offensive d men are in positions of mgmt. on this club?

<p>Just started to think back now on some critical organizational decisions made the past few years and thinking whether decisions made/not made in the new regime are coming back to bite us?

1) Schultz - tearing up the AHL, and while there was a push, decides on the Oilers; now knowing Edler/Garrison have injury issues and K-Conn is having an average year....did not getting him and being with another conference team going to cost us?

2) Luongo and his contract - at first everyone loved his contract and now with the murky new CBA, he may never be offloaded or if he does get traded, is dealt for less than he could of been...was his massive contract going to hamper the team's needs?

3)Hodgson - no need to go into this one; but with Kesler battling 'major injuries' and rumors he's still a ways away/may never regain his former game (wrist/shoulder injuries) plus add the fact we traded him for another 'question mark' - did it not make sense to either get back a centermen or keep Hodgson as C depth that appears needed now?

4)Drafting Pat McNally - was our only high pick that year (no 1st rounder) and now he's developmentally in limbo (Harvard school issues)

5) Sami Pahlsson = waste of a pickup (given away high picks) and then moved to the SEL

6) Corrado = plays well but then gets surprising cut; Gaunce injured and can't even try out for junior tournie = both a step back for development?

7) Lockout = this isn't the teams' fault, but every time there's a decision for the league to do a lockout, the Canucks suffer significantly on the ice(see 94, 04 and TBD for 2012?)

I can only think of one decisions in hindsight which turned out well = acquiring Higgins/Lapierre/Torres who were instrumental in the last cup finals run....There could be more to add to this list that I'm missing, but does it seem lately decisions are not favoring the organization?

A third of a season in the AHL tells you that?

I get that the guy is good, and it's impressive what he's doing in the AHL. But the overhyping needs to stop.

Did anyone ever think that maybe Schultz just didn't wanna play here? Why is that such an unbelievable idea to so many people? Not everyone wants to play in Vancouver, even if he was a Canucks fan. The guy obviously saw a better opportunity for his development in Edmonton, with less pressure, and a group of young players to develop with.

Management can only do so much. You can't force a player to sign here.

Schultz has been an absolute stud this year.

What he is doing right now would be difficult for even some of the best D-Men in the NHL to pull off, but in saying that, it in no way means he's better than they are.

Look at Jake Gardiner and OEL, both had 30+ points in the NHL last year, and are hovering around 1 PPG in the AHL this year, well under Schultz's pace. But looking at all 3 players, I would say that they are about equal in skill set.

So for people saying Bieksa or Edler could easily replicate Schultz's numbers in the AHL this year, I would have to disagree, but this does not mean that I think Schultz is a better D-Man.

Schultz has been an absolute stud this year.

What he is doing right now would be difficult for even some of the best D-Men in the NHL to pull off, but in saying that, it in no way means he's better than they are.

Look at Jake Gardiner and OEL, both had 30+ points in the NHL last year, and are hovering around 1 PPG in the AHL this year, well under Schultz's pace. But looking at all 3 players, I would say that they are about equal in skill set.

So for people saying Bieksa or Edler could easily replicate Schultz's numbers in the AHL this year, I would have to disagree, but this does not mean that I think Schultz is a better D-Man.

That's ironic,DeNiro.

"Over hyping needs to stop?" You are kidding us? Tell me you are kidding us.

The kid is leading the entire AHL in scoring and he is a rookie d man.

Take a few reality pills and get back to us.Justin has almost 50% more pts. than the entire D corps of the Wolves- combined.

Can you tell us what Canucks management offered up to Schultz as incentives to sign here? Name one thing.

Archived