The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks making critical mistakes in hindsight?

Lui's Knob

Mistakes:

1. Ballard trade

2.let Mitchell go

3. Let Erhoff go

4. Hodgson trade- I just think we could have got more for him -Kassian and a first, Kassian and Joel Armia. The timing was poor, imagine a Hodgson/Luongo package- much more movable

This move showed poor player managent and foresight.

5.letting Salo walk

6. Shultz - this was disappointing but not a mistake, he identified a player they needed

7. Gargnani- mistake- WTF Gillis

8. Ballard is still here despite us letting Mitchell, Erhoff, Salo go for cap reasons.

9. Ballard contract

10. Ballard still here

11. Ballard

12.Ballard

"There were a number of positives about Torres. He didn't look to be in particularly high demand when he signed here for only $1 million (down from the previous contract of 3 years at $2.25 million). I suppose loyalty is not one of strong points." Gollumpus

Gillis offered him no raise in salary and no security.In his interview listed above you can see he wanted some security for his family and was not offered it by Gillis.It had zero to do with loyalty,especially on the part of Gillis.

Well first of all, if you wanna ask if Bieksa and Edler could put up 1.5 points per game, you have to make all things equal. So since Schultz is playing with the Oilers top 2 ppg players from the NHL (Eberle, Nugent-Hopkins), then Bieksa or Edler would get to play with the Sedins (the Canucks top 2 ppg players).

So do I think that Edler and Bieksa could put up 1.5 points per game playing with the Sedins in the AHL? Hmmm, I think they could put up more than that. Especially with the amount of powerplays that are given out in the AHL.

Getzlaf and Perry didn't get to play with two top NHLers when they were in the AHL. And if you think Schultz's success has nothing to do with Eberle and Nugent-Hopkins, well you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

You seem to think that points equals everything for a player. There's alot more to being a defenseman than putting up points. If that's all it took to win games, the Barons would win every game.

Schultz will put up points in the NHL, but not nearly at the rate he is now. And he's certainly going to have to learn to play better defensively.

Schultz is just a product of the Edmonton over-hype CDCers seem to love. RNH, Eberle and Schultz are playing in the AHL and the Barons are 4th in their division and 7th in the conference (3 points ahead of the Wolves with 2 more GP). All those guys can put up points, but if that's all there was to success, they'd be destroying the AHL. A quick look at Schultz' stats show that he's raking in assists thanks to Eberle who just pulled in a 4 goal game. He's just getting his numbers bolstered, hereby referred to as "getting Hodgsoned".

Schultz was making demands for top minutes, and the Canucks were not willing to make that commitment to him. You asked earlier to name one thing that the Canucks offered to Schultz.

How about honesty?

I'm wondering how many other GM's would have been as honest with Schultz about his prospects with the team? Or do you believe Gillis should have lied? Yes, that would be something which would attract a lot of future UFA's to come here.

One would think, and yet Schultz signed with the Oilers.

One might argue that Schultz could win a Cup with either team, but it seems to me that he would have a surer bet of winning one sooner with the Canucks than with the Oilers. And there is always the possibility that the Oilers fall apart as guys hit RFA/UFA status.

Schultz would have been a nice pickup, Gillis probably could have pushed a bit more. Still, as long as Edler stays our D is stacked and Garrison will be beast.

The Cody-Kassian trade, yea big fail there. This isn't a trade to be judged 5 years from now, it has already backfired. We got booted out of the 1st round and missed a shot at a cup. Cody was exactly the type of player to turn that series around. All of the games were close, with his PP time and knack for scoring clutch goals in big games it's not a stretch at all to say we could have beaten LA with Coho. Really, I see us winning in 6.

With Cody we would have had a more set lineup, not the revolving mess of randomness we saw in each PO game.

Replacement for Daniel on the PP, maybe we don't give up SH goals by the handful and actually score a goal instead. Good chance at splitting the first two games, maybe even taking both.

Cody had an excellent shot, one of the few players (especially without Daniel) who could expose Quicks premature and low stance. Even just a couple points from him and we are heading into game 5 up 3-1 rather than down. With him and Daniel I don't see us losing game 5 and at worst I think we take it in 6. No one after the Kings was stopping us.

Im not a big Cody fan and really like Kassian but DAMN. His trade destroyed our chance at a cup, that isn't worth Kassian even if he turns into a far better player (not likely). Add Keslers injury, seriously how do you trade an offensive center when you know your 2C is hurt???? Now we lack prospects & centre depth. There isn't 1 thing that went right with this. Cody could get hit by a bus today and it would still be a terrible trade. How Gillis has managed to duck responsibility for it is beyond me.

<p>Just started to think back now on some critical organizational decisions made the past few years and thinking whether decisions made/not made in the new regime are coming back to bite us?

1) Schultz - tearing up the AHL, and while there was a push, decides on the Oilers; now knowing Edler/Garrison have injury issues and K-Conn is having an average year....did not getting him and being with another conference team going to cost us?

2) Luongo and his contract - at first everyone loved his contract and now with the murky new CBA, he may never be offloaded or if he does get traded, is dealt for less than he could of been...was his massive contract going to hamper the team's needs?

3)Hodgson - no need to go into this one; but with Kesler battling 'major injuries' and rumors he's still a ways away/may never regain his former game (wrist/shoulder injuries) plus add the fact we traded him for another 'question mark' - did it not make sense to either get back a centermen or keep Hodgson as C depth that appears needed now?

4)Drafting Pat McNally - was our only high pick that year (no 1st rounder) and now he's developmentally in limbo (Harvard school issues)

5) Sami Pahlsson = waste of a pickup (given away high picks) and then moved to the SEL

6) Corrado = plays well but then gets surprising cut; Gaunce injured and can't even try out for junior tournie = both a step back for development?

7) Lockout = this isn't the teams' fault, but every time there's a decision for the league to do a lockout, the Canucks suffer significantly on the ice(see 94, 04 and TBD for 2012?)

I can only think of one decisions in hindsight which turned out well = acquiring Higgins/Lapierre/Torres who were instrumental in the last cup finals run....There could be more to add to this list that I'm missing, but does it seem lately decisions are not favoring the organization?

This is so wrong on so many levels. You're aware that Justin Schultz has more than TWICE the goals of Zack Kassian (the next Milan Lucic), right? 14 goals in 26 games, and you're whining that he's "raking in assists"? Hilarious. In fact, Justin Schultz has as many goals as the next Milan Lucic has points! Explain that one to me. Might want to check your facts before posting.

As for "getting Hodgsoned", that is equally laughable. An emotional GM's outburst after making a critical error are not words that should be carried with any weight. "Manipulating his numbers" is a joke, and that whole event was a colossal embarrassment for this organization.

Archived