The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks should make preparations for Connor Mcdavid

RAMBUTANS

Dubbed as the next big thing since Crosby, the Canucks will have to do everything they can to get this guy to continue what the twins have started, dominance of the NHL.

Unlike others, I do not make threads just for the heck of it, I provide solutions/recommendations.

If we are lucky enough, we may be able to snag Mcdavid and add him to our revitalization of prospects. By 2015, when Connor is eligible, Mackinnon and Jones are ready (see other thread on my take on how to get the 2).

OK, to be able to get the 1st overall in 2015, its either we tank, which wont happen, so the next thing to do is trade assets.

By 2015, if we havent won the cup, it means the window is closed. Therefore, I suggest we use the twins and a prospect like Jensen to get that no. 1 pick. I know its a bold move but if you really think about it, it really makes sense. Hopefully, if we pull the trigger on this, we already won the Cup in 2013 or 2014 or both.

Thoughts?

If he is going to be that good then no way that pick would be traded. Even if it was Edmonton, they would probably move somebody else to make room. We cannot get that pick unless we stink enough for it.

This did occur to me though: if the Panthers get the first overall pick this season, I say trade Luongo there for that pick, and three more first rounders, plus a roster player (don't care whom). From the Panthers' point of view, they already have one of the best stockpiles of young talent in the league, and picking Griffin Reinhart (projected top prospect) won't make them better. Getting a goaltender who wants to be in Florida, plus better coaching, would make them better.

On the Canucks, they can draft Sam Reinhart, slated to be the next Steve Yzerman - and can compete with McDavid if they were in the same draft class. Anything Reinhart lacks in offensive ability vs. McDavid, he more than makes up for that with his two-way play and better physicality. Better still, Reinhart is from Vancouver - a son of former Canuck defenseman Paul Reinhart, in fact.

In short, this deal would make everyone happy - Luongo returns to Florida, Reinhart gets picked by Vancouver, Panthers take a big step toward rounding out their team and rebounding. Main real problem though is Canucks need to replace Luongo somehow.

You can suggest any course of action you want from here but my preferred (and I know unpopaular) course of action would be to trade off Sedins, Edler, Kesler for draft picks, start a full rebuild through the draft (and just maybe, Vancouver could get McDavid). Just maybe, they could have found a goaltender in the rebuilding draft (with like three first-rounders for five years following the trades), or they could potentially lure Carey Price here in free agency if he hasn't won anything in Montreal and would take a hometown discount for a shot at Lord Stanley.

4 potential lottery picks and a roster player for a 35 year old middle of the pack goalie with a brutal lifetime contract that the team tried desperately to move for 2 years without any success?

yeeeeesh.

All we would have to do is replace Luongo and Lack with a bad goalie, and maybe trade Hamhuis or Tanev and the tanking would happen almost immediately.

This team is only as good as Luongo and Lack.

lololol

The amount of stupidity that gets thrown around here after a loss even from good users is amazing.

Trying to tank the team is a ridiculous concept to begin with especially one that is still a top quartile team...even if they are 'successful' in becoming the crappiest team in the league, your odds of getting the winning the draft lottery is 25%...and if you're 'lucky' enough to have 2 picks then you're still doing worse than a coin flip to land the #1 draft position.

And trying to trade with the team who won the draft lottery...well, good luck

Anyway, we all know the Canucks are going down the Detroit model, which ultimately means that our 'salvation' will have to come from emulating the Detroit scouting and development system and finding the next Zetterberg/Datsyuk while being top tier team instead of the Pittsburgh/Chicago model, so the lets-tank-and-draft-McDavid bandwagonners can put their 'out of the box thinking' back in the box

lololol

By that logic, Chara will become to tall to stay in the atmosphere by the year 2030 and he will enslave us all.

We should be prepping for the rise of Chara! Who cares about McDavid, when people are somehow magically growing, as you put it.

Has no one explained to you that people stop growing once they are adults. Chara is an adult, McDavid isn't.

Players get NMC and NTCs to have more control over their destinies. Not to be bullheaded and DEMAND they stay with a team that wants to rebuild.

If Gillis went to his players and laid out a reasonable case that the team had run its course, Luongo is bolting, and we need to rebuild, how many guys are going to INSIST they stay here and go nowhere for the rest of their careers.

Even Ryan Miller wants to get traded for gods sake.

Every player, including the Twins, would eventually come around to being moved to a team that could net them a real chance at the only prize to elude them. The Stanley Cup.

Archived