The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Going to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel tonight. Not sure how excited to get for this one. After hearing all the glowing reviews for Moonrise Kingdom, I couldn't have been more underwhelmed. So I'm hoping for the best.

Felt the same about MK, so similarly tempering my expectations.

Looking forward to your rating.

Drive - 6.5/10

On the plus side, I thought the action sequences were really well done. They were very tense and visceral. I also thought Bryan Cranston and Oscar Isaac did very well with their roles.

On the negative side, I found the plot to be dumb and simplistic and Ryan Gosling's character annoyed me with his corny "strong silent type" shtick. The soundtrack also rubbed me the wrong way.

Her - 8.5/10

Funny and an interesting look at relationships as a whole. The dialogue feels very natural and what could have been a ridiculous premise seems surprisingly grounded in reality.

Did you watch the other ones? I tried watching the first two and I swear I can't for the life of me explain to you what on earth the plot is even though I paid attention

Drive 9.5/10

How can I praise this movie in a way that hasn't been done before? I don't know. I loved it, it was hypnotic.

Now I'm motivated to go through some more of Gosling's work. Between Blue Valentine and Only God Forgives, which one should I watch first? I've already seen Place Beyond the Pines and I'm not touching the Notebook

only god forgives was totally panned (people jeered and walked out of it during Cannes lmao)

i thought it was pretty good though, the end is a bit silly and excessively 'weird' IIRC, but the first 75% isn't nearly as bad as some people say it is, i don't think. but i have a very high tolerance for some slow movies, so take it with a grain of salt

Her- 8/10. Very interesting and funny movie with great acting and writing, but it gets an 8 because the ending didn't leave me very satisfied.

Drive 9.5/10

How can I praise this movie in a way that hasn't been done before? I don't know. I loved it, it was hypnotic.

Drive is one of my favorite movies. The greatness of that movie goes so far beyond the plot. Great characters, great acting and writing, and an amazing soundtrack. The overall mood of Drive is just incredible.

Million Ways to Die in the West - 3/10

Horrible, horrible movie. Seth needs to shy away from the spotlight because in person, without the army of writers and actors to accommodate him, he's really, really quite unfunny.

I liked Ted. A liked Ted a lot. But if you shave Ted, you have Seth. Beedie eyes, chubby, teddy-like face and all. And that... Just doesn't look good.

My expectations for Million Ways wasn't high to begin with, but I expected some laughs. And while a few were there, the overall lameness of the movie trumped it all. If you're going to make fun of Hollywood and all of the lame clichés used within, then it would help your cause if you didn't apply every available lame cliché in your own bloody movie.

Utterly predictable jokes. Useless plotline. Unfunny cameos (that last one? Please...)

The movie just stunk. I cannot recommend it. And I like Family Guy. Even enough to tolerate all his stupid singing numbers.

While Blazing Saddles used the race issue and all sorts of well-timed jokes and actors who appeared to be more interested in just the snickering use of the f-word, this movie just seemed racist, poorly-delivered and awfully acted by all participants.

Conway Twitty could've made a better movie. Stay off the screen, Seth. Keep to voice-only, you freaky-lookin' little dude.

Million Ways to Die in the West - 3/10

Horrible, horrible movie. Seth needs to shy away from the spotlight because in person, without the army of writers and actors to accommodate him, he's really, really quite unfunny.

I liked Ted. A liked Ted a lot. But if you shave Ted, you have Seth. Beedie eyes, chubby, teddy-like face and all. And that... Just doesn't look good.

My expectations for Million Ways wasn't high to begin with, but I expected some laughs. And while a few were there, the overall lameness of the movie trumped it all. If you're going to make fun of Hollywood and all of the lame clichés used within, then it would help your cause if you didn't apply every available lame cliché in your own bloody movie.

Utterly predictable jokes. Useless plotline. Unfunny cameos (that last one? Please...)

The movie just stunk. I cannot recommend it. And I like Family Guy. Even enough to tolerate all his stupid singing numbers.

While Blazing Saddles used the race issue and all sorts of well-timed jokes and actors who appeared to be more interested in just the snickering use of the f-word, this movie just seemed racist, poorly-delivered and awfully acted by all participants.

Conway Twitty could've made a better movie. Stay off the screen, Seth. Keep to voice-only, you freaky-lookin' little dude.

thanks for saving me the two hours I would have lost ... I love this thread .. it actually enhances my life

Princess Mononoke - 9.5/10

One of my favorite movies of all time, There's really nothing bad I can say about this movie except I dislike the english dub voices :P

Lupin the Third and the Castle of Cagliostro - 9/10

Another of my favorite animes, good blend of comedy/action.

Did you watch the other ones? I tried watching the first two and I swear I can't for the life of me explain to you what on earth the plot is even though I paid attention

First one was interesting in that it presented something that hadn't quite been seen before. Also I was 13 and liked fast cars when I saw it, so much leeway was given to a fairly bad movie. I mean I didn't even like the movie at the time. I thought it was ok. I dunno if I would bother to defend it today.

The second one was balls. Not worth bothering with.

The third one was not good, but I absolutely loved it, lol. It ranks so high on my list of guilty pleasure movies. I can't justify much of anything about it, but I think the setting and elements of its story make it far more bearable then other entries in the series. I think this is most people's most hated one of the bunch, but I can watch it over and over again.

The fourth one starts off very poorly, and very slowly. Though by the end with the smuggling and all that, you get a fairly entertaining movie. Just inconsistent is all.

The fifth one as I said above I did not like at all, much like the second. I think it was a poor heist movie, a poor action movie, a poor crime/suspense/cat and mouse story, and the bits where they once in a while drive cars was lame. I hated this one.

The sixth one I didn't bother with, after the last 2.

I do appreciate it for what it is, to be honest. Just a silly action film.

As said above, I just specifically hated that entry. Felt almost like I was watching a Transformers movie without explosions.

Frozen 3/10

I heard nothing but good things about this movie, but it didn't live up to the hype.

It was average at best, all the music was too similar it was like they kept singing the same song. The story was also really lacklustre and not that enjoyable.

I was wondering about this one. I LOVE me a good Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks flick and this one's had tons of positivity swirling around it...but everything I've seen (commercials, trailers etc) it looks highly average and formulaic. Like the animated film version of pop music. Highly conflicting...

Anybody else seen it/have thoughts?

My initial impressions were sadly correct IMO. The first half was borderline horrible with forced and below par songs and a quite frankly, boring story. The second half picks up a bit with a bit more interesting story and less forced/generic/bland music but overall it's mediocre at best.

Generous 5/10. How did you people like this thing?

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 1

Going to watch The Grand Budapest Hotel tonight. Not sure how excited to get for this one. After hearing all the glowing reviews for Moonrise Kingdom, I couldn't have been more underwhelmed. So I'm hoping for the best.

Felt the same about MK, so similarly tempering my expectations.

Looking forward to your rating.

You guys are wrong MK was excellent :P

you guys are such weirdos. Frozen was great (minus the music). get a heart, bums

grand budapest hotel: 8.5/10

first 30 mins are great, last 30 mins are great. got a little bored in the middle, but i think that's just because i was super tired

probably my favourite writing from any Anderson movie. cute story, yet it was very 'grand' with a bit of melancholy in there too. takes a serious subject (or at least a pretty bleak period in history) yet deals with it almost in a light hearted way. it's no Fantastic Mr. Fox, but it's very, very good. could have been a novel, really.

you guys are such weirdos. Frozen was great (minus the music). get a heart, bums

If by "great" you mean "generic/mediocre", than yeah, sure. And I love the "(minus the music)"...it's a damned musical! Never mind that "Olaf" is akin to Frozen's own Jar-Jar!

If by "great" you mean "generic/mediocre", than yeah, sure. And I love the "(minus the music)"...it's a damned musical! Never mind that "Olaf" is akin to Frozen's own Jar-Jar!

it's generic in that it's a disney movie based on a pretty famous fairy tale. i don't expect much else from that that description. but the animation was cute, i did enjoy the story and the characters. and i did think a few of the songs were cute too. just wasn't into the really intense ~i'm a pop star, listen to my scale~ songs