The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

On 22/01/2017 at 5:39 AM, Svengali said:

The Handmaiden, so far, is my #1 for 2016. (haven't seen Moonlight or Affleck By The Sea yet)  Just so amazingly beautiful to look at and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. But yeah it did go down a bit for me in the end as well, to an 8.5  It's also the one I was about to recommend to g_bassi for something different ... so uh, g_bassi, you've got to watch it, it's amazing, sorry Hugor Hill completely destroyed my enthusiasm. hehe

I'll totally look into it. Seems interesting.

Lights Out - 6.5/10

It was pretty good for what it was. The one problem I had was that for a movie about danger at every corner and keeping out of the darkness, it wasn't exactly tense. 

But being an average movie that happens to be a horror one, by virtue of the garbage the genre produces, it makes you an above average or even good flick. 

So if one night you're looking for a throw away horror film that is less likely to dissapoint than others, this is probably your movie.

Also as a random adendum to whatever score I gave the movie "Don't Breath", I need to knock it down a few notches. It becomes a lot worse just thinking and sitting on the movie for a bit.

manchester by the sea: 8

reminds me of something Alexander Payne would do, but better than his recent work. it's really a masterclass in subtlety for the most part, but it also isn't some ultra-rewarding movie that will demand a bunch of re-watches.

Edited by GLASSJAW

11 hours ago, The Bookie said:

^ Lights Out is just a long version of the web short by that Swedish dude ponysmasher. You could watch his entire output in the time of that feature and I bet it more satisfying. They work best as quick bite jump scares.

It most definitely felt stretched out, but it wasn't a bad idea to realize as a full movie.

Can't say I'm too intersted in jump scares alone but short stories like this one wrapped around them sounds cool.

oscar nom releases if anyone cares. 

best picture:

Arrival

Fences

Hacksaw Ridge

Hell or High Water

Hidden Figures

La La Land

Lion

Manchester by the Sea

Moonlight

Directing

Denis Villeneuve, Arrival

Mel Gibson, Hacksaw Ridge

Damien Chazelle, La La Land

Kenneth Lonergan, Manchester by the Sea

Barry Jenkins, Moonlight

Actor in a Leading Role

Casey Affleck, Manchester by the Sea

Andrew Garfield, Hacksaw Ridge

Ryan Gosling, La La Land

Viggo Mortensen, Captain Fantastic

Denzel Washington, Fences

Actress in a Leading Role

Isabelle Huppert, Elle

Ruth Negga, Loving

Natalie Portman, Jackie

Emma Stone, La La Land

Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Actress in a Supporting Role

Viola Davis, Fences

Naomie Harris, Moonlight

Nicole Kidman, Lion

Octavia Spencer, Hidden Figures

Michelle Williams, Manchester by the Sea

Actor in a Supporting Role

Mahershala Ali, Moonlight

Jeff Bridges, Hell or High Water

Lucas Hedges, Manchester by the Sea

Dev Patel, Lion

Michael Shannon, Nocturnal Animals

Adapted Screenplay

Arrival, Eric Heisserer

Fences, August Wilson

Hidden Figures, Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi

Lion, Luke Davies

Moonlight, Barry Jenkins and Tarell Alvin McCraney

Original Screenplay

Hell or High Water, Taylor Sheridan

La La Land, Damien Chazelle

The Lobster, Yorgos Lanthimos and Efthimis Filippou

Manchester by the Sea, Kenneth Lonergan

20th Century Women, Mike Mills

Foreign Language Film

Land of Mine (Denmark)

A Man Called Ove (Sweden)

The Salesman (Iran)

Tanna (Australia)

Toni Erdmann (Germany)

Documentary Feature

Fire at Sea

I Am Not Your Negro

Life, Animated

O.J. Made in America

13th

Cinematography

Arrival, Bradford Young

La La Land, Linus Sandgren

Lion, Greig Fraser

Moonlight, James Laxton

Silence, Rodrigo Prieto

40 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

Actress in a Leading Role

Isabelle Huppert, Elle

Ruth Negga, Loving

Natalie Portman, Jackie

Emma Stone, La La Land

Meryl Streep, Florence Foster Jenkins

Hmm, I thought Amy Adams completely carried Arrival all by herself. Even had Whitaker's bloated body dragging along behind her trying to bring the film down, as he always does. Surprised she isn't on there.

Also, The Handmaiden should have been nominated for best Foreign Language Film. Hell, it should be nominated for Best Picture.

40 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

The Lobster, Yorgos Lanthimos and Efthimis Filippou

Why does it feel as though I watched The Lobster about 3 years ago ?...

• Upvote 1

Watched a couple good ones lately, probably give them both 8/10.

Captain Fantastic was pretty darn delightful IMO. Vigo was good in the lead along with most of the kids and supporting characters (though some were more 1 dimensional, likely limited by film length/editing). Cinematography was gorgeous and the writing was largely good quality with only a few weak moments. 

American Honey was very raw and brash with good acting and story throughout so long as you can subdue your mature, adult eye rolling at the very immature behavior the film is largely about. It reminded me how much I don't miss being a teen/early 20's eedjit :lol:

Also watched sausage party....well it wasn't as bad as I expected, so that's something! The not so subtle cultural/religion references worked for the cheap laughs the film relies on but holy they could have toned down the constant torrent of f-bombs by a factor of 10 and still probably had too many. Otherwise pretty low level, cheap laughs that stoned teenage boys should adore. 4.5/10

• Upvote 1

Rate The Last Script I read: Manchester By The Sea - 8/10

Script reading is generally a boring activity. This one actually made me laugh several times, especially the scenes where Patrick tries to get laid. 

There are probably emotional intricacies in there that I didn't get from the script, like the last dramatic scene between Randi and Lee before he got beat up at the bar, so I look forward to watching the movie.

Here is the script if anyone is interested:

http://www.amazonstudiosguilds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/MBTS_ScriptDownload.pdf

MV5BMjAxODUxNjAzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjg4

Edited by Hugor Hill

The Drop Box

Tough to rate. It was a short documentary, running about 70 minutes. And it is amazing/unbelievable that a pastor and his wife in Seoul have dedicated their lives to taking in newborn babies that would otherwise be abandoned and left to die on the streets (huge cultural problem in Korea). 

That said, as amazing/sad as the situation is, I don't think the documentary was done incredibly well. The first 30 minutes was interesting and done well, but it's amazing how the last half dragged and felt like a lifetime. 

Scarface Remake Starring Leonardo DiCaprio And Sofia Vergara Announced for 2017

Universal Studios, one of the largest movie studios in Hollywood has announced that 32 years after it’s release, the legendary crime-drama film, Scarface, is getting a remake starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Sofia Vergara.

The 1983 story of Tony Montana, Cuban immigrant turned powerful drug lord, has come to be one of the most iconic films of the 80’s and you’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t recognize the movie’s most famous line, delivered by cocaine-covered, gun-touting Montana: “Say hello to my little friend”.

In the press release, Universal Studios revealed that they had been planning a remake since 2002, but that they had not been able to find anyone who they thought could live up to Al Pacino’s august performance in the original.

https://empireherald.com/scarface-remake-starring-leonardo-dicaprio-and-sofia-vergara-announced-for-2017/

Image result for jaguars fan gif

8 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Scarface Remake Starring Leonardo DiCaprio And Sofia Vergara Announced for 2017

Universal Studios, one of the largest movie studios in Hollywood has announced that 32 years after it’s release, the legendary crime-drama film, Scarface, is getting a remake starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Sofia Vergara.

The 1983 story of Tony Montana, Cuban immigrant turned powerful drug lord, has come to be one of the most iconic films of the 80’s and you’d be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t recognize the movie’s most famous line, delivered by cocaine-covered, gun-touting Montana: “Say hello to my little friend”.

In the press release, Universal Studios revealed that they had been planning a remake since 2002, but that they had not been able to find anyone who they thought could live up to Al Pacino’s august performance in the original.

https://empireherald.com/scarface-remake-starring-leonardo-dicaprio-and-sofia-vergara-announced-for-2017/

To me, Scarface is an incredibly overrated film. I've watched it a number of times throughout my life, and I just don't get it. Michelle Pfeiffer was great, but the story itself is just a "meh". 

Also, congrats Hollywood for continuing the whitewashing trend that you refuse to put behind you. Johnny Depp as Tonto was embarrassing enough.

• Upvote 2