The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

9 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Watched it about 12 years ago and I remember guessing what was going on as well ( had to read the wiki page to remind me about the very end scene though, it is up for interpretation regarding his memory)

Going to spoiler tag this, even though it’s been 15 years :lol: 

Well what’s worse? That he remembers and can never again have a relationship with her (unless he tells her the truth), or that he doesn’t remember and the two of them continue to have a romantic relationship? :sick:

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

Going to spoiler tag this, even though it’s been 15 years :lol: 

Reveal hidden contents

Well what’s worse? That he remembers and can never again have a relationship with her (unless he tells her the truth), or that he doesn’t remember and the two of them continue to have a romantic relationship :sick:[\spoiler]

Spoiler

I think it is worse to continue the relationship knowing or not knowing ( I understand that's the catch, if the hypnosis worked... then he would continue with her innocently) Its why the movie works, us viewers 'know' so we can't really respect the ignorance could be bliss idea for them. So, I would have liked him to tell her, admit that they were set up....do years and years and year of counselling so that they can be in each other lives in the right way.  

ahh crap, you've got me...It is a good discussion and that might be why the movie is so respected. Just so yucky to think about!

37 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Exactly! If he does actually remember, then does he leave her be and live with it alone, or does he tell her the truth in order to try and have a father/daughter relationship? She may end up resenting him for it (very likely). Although, then that takes out why he wouldn’t let her know to begin with (via phone call) before he lopped off his tongue.

But if he doesn’t remember, then there’s the whole “lifetime incest” chestnut.

• Upvote 1

Actually, the more I think about the movie and the open ended ending:

The more I believe he did remember everything. The purpose of the final hypnotism was so his “monster” side would no longer be alive; that it would die.

However, the monster side was the one that seeked revenge. The one that remembered, the groveling one that begged for mercy, was also the person that was begging at the beginning of the film when he was first captive. That was not the monster that was affected by the realization that it was his daughter, that was the human side of him that lived. The monster side was not truly him. 

At least, that’s my interpretation.

• Cheers 1

Don't know if it belongs in the TV thread or this one, but the Black Mirror choose your own adventure show is really average. Do you want one really good story, or a trillion versions of uninteresting possibilities?!!??! 

If you're a writer that cares about your craft, you must hate this choose your own adventure crap. 

16 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Don't know if it belongs in the TV thread or this one, but the Black Mirror choose your own adventure show is really average. Do you want one really good story, or a trillion versions of uninteresting possibilities?!!??! 

If you're a writer that cares about your craft, you must hate this choose your own adventure crap. 

I reviewed it, sort of, in the TV thread. 

I felt bad for Will Poulter. Great actor. Intetesting (on paper) idea, but should never have been realized. One of those things where the writers SHOULD have said, “Yeah, that would be an interesting episode idea. But it wouldn’t work, because you wouldn’t feel attached to the characters, you don’t know what the actual resolution is supposed to be, and executing it successfully would be impossible, because it’s an interesting idea, but a terrible thing to watch.”

sisters brothers - 6.5/10

think the book is great. the movie is much less so.

i hate those 'omg the book was better' conversations, but in this case i can't help it.

the book balanced so many things well: quirk and politics, gore and sentimentality, etc. but instead of even attempting to do this stuff well, the movie just barely glazes over it all. the result is a pretty generic western with a little bit of heart at best.

apparently the book's author, patrick dewitt, had done an original script/treatment for the movie but it was scrapped by the late-addition director who wanted his friend to write it. i bet the original script would have been significantly better.

8 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

i hate those 'omg the book was better' conversations, but in this case i can't help it.

Never much of a conversation. Majority of adaptations to screen don't have the time to do the source material justice. People seem to understand that the movies just can't be as good as the books.

Escape Room - 7/10 

It is kind of scary that the movie came out just as there were stories in the news about people dying in an actual escape room. I thought it was very well done, and had multiple interesting storylines that they worked into the escape rooms. The story is about a handful of people, with lets say unique stories - who are invited to play in an escape room for money. And things get real, real fast. 

The only thing i wasn't happy about is, they set it up for a sequel so you don't get a lot of the answers you are looking for and it left off an a bit of a cliffhanger. 

Just now, Down by the River said:

What sites do you guys go to for movie/TV reviews? I used to go to AV Club, but I find their reviews really shallow now. 

For tv reviews, AV Club used to be “ok”, at best. I feel like I can get a good handle on tv shows after a bit of digging. So not sure what a good site would be. I do a lot more digging on a tv show to watch than a movie.

For movies, I’m finding it a little more difficult than I used to, perhaps because I’m older now and don’t want to watch something too out of my wheelhouse. For pure entertainment, I like YouTube’s Half in the Bag (RedLetterMedia). That’s more of a good, humorous tv show show investment (30-40 minutes). 

For more in depth reviews, I’m not sure to be honest. I find that good reviews inevitably end up spoiling the film. I’ll usually read up on the synopsis and go from there, without finding out too much about it.

So, to answer your question. I don’t know.

6 minutes ago, Monty said:

For tv reviews, AV Club used to be “ok”, at best. I feel like I can get a good handle on tv shows after a bit of digging. So not sure what a good site would be. I do a lot more digging on a tv show to watch than a movie.

For movies, I’m finding it a little more difficult than I used to, perhaps because I’m older now and don’t want to watch something too out of my wheelhouse. For pure entertainment, I like YouTube’s Half in the Bag (RedLetterMedia). That’s more of a good, humorous tv show show investment (30-40 minutes). 

For more in depth reviews, I’m not sure to be honest. I find that good reviews inevitably end up spoiling the film. I’ll usually read up on the synopsis and go from there, without finding out too much about it.

So, to answer your question. I don’t know.

Thanks!;)

I'm actually looking more for a site that goes deep into the themes associated with a movie/TV show. Basically something I can read after I've already seen the product. I don't have an account on Reddit, but this seems to be an option that others use. 

I know, everyone hates M.Night Shamalamadingdong.

But I don't really have much emotional connection to movie makers, or actors for that matter. And I'm really not very discerning.

Being a space dork and loving fantasy stories I have watched  some of his movies.

I really liked Signs and Unbreakable. It's the pacing that I like about his movies, I see the plot holes and silly twists like everyone else. However, there is just something about how he sometimes lets a scene slow down and hang without background music that I like. Obviously, as I stated, I do enjoy the topic's and stories he attempts. Reminds me a bit of Neil Gaiman books..

One movie I didn't watch cause it didn't jump out to me was Split.

However, being a fan of Unbreakable and the fact that his new show Glass is a follow up to Split and Unbreakable....

Has anyone seen Glass yet? any good?  do I need to watch Split first?

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I know, everyone hates M.Night Shamalamadingdong.

But I don't really have much emotional connection to movie makers, or actors for that matter. And I'm really not very discerning.

Being a space dork and loving fantasy stories I have watched  some of his movies.

I really liked Signs and Unbreakable. It's the pacing that I like about his movies, I see the plot holes and silly twists like everyone else. However, there is just something about how he sometimes lets a scene slow down and hang without background music that I like. Obviously, as I stated, I do enjoy the topic's and stories he attempts. Reminds me a bit of Neil Gaiman books..

However, being a fan of Unbreakable and the fact that his new show Glass is a follow up to Split and Unbreakable....

Has anyone seen Glass yet? any good?  do I need to watch Split first?

Split was surprisingly good. And yes, you definitely need to watch it first.

Haven’t seen Glass, yet. Likely won’t until it’s available on Netflix.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Good movie, and James McAvoy way extremely good,  extremely good, extremely good , extremely good, extremely good and fantastic.

24 minutes ago, Violator said:

Solo 

5/10

Dropped on netflix recently a few of the scenes were really good but way to rushed.overall its a terrible movie from a director that used to knock them out of the park.

I never pay to watch a prequel, hard to get excited/nervous about a gun fight, when you know the characters are still alive 20 years later.

6 hours ago, Down by the River said:

What sites do you guys go to for movie/TV reviews? I used to go to AV Club, but I find their reviews really shallow now. 

depends how deep, or what kind of analysis you're looking for i suppose

my fav film critic is, by far, richard brody at the new yorker (online). i don't agree with a whole lot of what he says, but i think he's talented and pompous enough to always be engaging. he seems like a bit of a contrarian at times, but i like that. he's kinda like the anti-anthony lane, who is their regular critic (in print).

vulture.com (online edition of New York Magazine's culture section) is pretty good sometimes

i used to love dana stevens' work at slate.com, but slate has gone so far downhill and is so over-the-top political at this point that i don't really bother with her anymore. if you want politically-tinged criticism, then there are better options (such as the new statesman, maybe?)

problem with reddit is that so many posts are just like "i just saw (whatever) and it's the best movie of all time, and the cinematography is the best of all time" and then people agree using superlative language of their own. reddit's entire thing is just karma farming, so i kind of resent it. gotta stand out by using big language to describe your big ideas... or else why bother?

the sub r/truefilm tries to circumvent this problem by being more 'serious' than, say, r/movies, but it still feels too dishonest for me, personally

• Upvote 1