The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Eighth Grade

On one hand, I don’t get the hype. 

However, the writing is on point by writer/director Bo Burnham. Unlike other coming of age stories where the teenagers come across like 35 year old philosophy majors, this really captures what 14 year old teenagers talk and look like, tackling the emotional lows of middle school. 

Think it’s a good movie for teenagers to watch.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Monty said:

Eighth Grade

On one hand, I don’t get the hype. 

However, the writing is on point by writer/director Bo Burnham. Unlike other coming of age stories where the teenagers come across like 35 year old philosophy majors, this really captures what 14 year old teenagers talk and look like, tackling the emotional lows of middle school. 

Think it’s a good movie for teenagers to watch.

Bo Burnham has some amazing comedy specials, check em' out if you haven't already.

Ralph Breaks the Internet- Disappointment/10

I really loved the first one. Its probably my favourite animated movie. Which is why I was against the idea of a sequel for such a clearly defined character arc. Then I saw the previews and trailers, and it looked like every bad decision I could possibly imagine being made. However it got great reviews, and was nominated for an Oscar, so I figured I'd give it the benefit of the doubt and give it a chance. What a let down. It wasn't the dated references, cheap product placement, or even the shameless Disney promotion that ruined it, it was how badly they butchered the characters. It essentially cheapens the entire story of the first film. I feel like there could have been a good story at the core of it, but they went about telling it in the worst possible way. I'm aware its just a kids movie churning out dollars for Disney, but it really shouldn't have been made at all.

On 2/19/2019 at 11:36 AM, D-Money said:

Two movies I saw in the last week, that were quite similar in a way...

Room - 8.5/10

Lion - 7/10

(Potential spoilers ahead...sort of...I mean, most people probably know the general stories of both, even if they haven't seen them.)

In both movies, the first 45 minutes or so are primarily about a young boy coping with a devastatingly traumatic experience. And both absolutely knock this portion out of the park. In Room, how the boy makes sense of his world is both touching and heart-breaking. In Lion, the first section is as-good-or-better, as the young actor playing him just radiates charisma and enthusiasm. The story of how Saroo got into his situation is told so efficiently, and the child's reactions so expressive, it's one of the best 45-minute sections of a film I've seen in recent memory.

What separates the 2 movies is what happens after this part, when the boys each experience a colossal shift in circumstances. Room continues to focus on the boy, and how he copes with the world he never knew. It isn't as powerful as the first portion of the movie, but is still interesting and engaging. Whereas Lion chooses to jump forward 20 years, and as soon as it does the movie loses most of it's steam. Everything becomes slow and clunky, and it wastes time focusing on how he met his girlfriend (which really adds nothing to the story). It really only becomes interesting again at the end, when Saroo is back in India. I think it would have been a much better movie had it spent a little more time showing how the young boy adapted to his new life/family, and cut out the girlfriend almost altogether.

Generally agree on the overall review. My thoughts on the girlfriend sequence is that it:

One - Let's you 'catch your breath' between the opening act and closing act.

Two - Does give you some sense of what he felt at one point having largely acclimated to his new 'normal' life and how he was just carrying on as a 'normal' person with his day to day...and then the jarring juxtaposition of recalling his traumatic youth and how he wrestles with it.

So I somewhat disagree on it not serving a purpose. Though I do agree that it slows it down (which I believe was intentional). Not everything has to be a non stop, adrenaline fest...maybe you'd prefer something like:

Spoiler

A1KM4P1VAKL._SX342_.jpg

:P

Though I agree, it was a bit stilted and could have used more 'meat' on that section. Likely a casualty of run time and perhaps something to look forward to if there's ever a Director's cut.

Side note...but I cried like a little school girl at the end of it :lol:

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

Bohemian Rhapsody - Rami Malek's performance 9/10 - Script 4/10

Watch for his stellar performance and the tunes, the script is very superficial and doesn't do Rami or Mercury, justice. They both deserved better IMO.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1