The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw - 2

Kass9

Watched a movie with the kids last night:

Tarzan (animated Disney) - 6/10

This is called the last movie if the Disney Renaissance, but it's not at the level of the best ones. The music was great (all Phil Collins), and the kids loved it, so can't complain. But a lot of the animation and voice-overs were poor. Not even close to Pixar quality.

54 minutes ago, Monty said:

Yeah, for a movie that was far more style than substance, it might also have more substance than other movies in that category

I might have to watch it again to see more substance. It's about bank robbery. Not much base for substance to show itself.

Can't remember the last time style drew me in like that.  Pretty much a fun version of Drive is what I saw. 

54 minutes ago, Monty said:

which appears to be something filmmakers are incapable of producing anymore. 

Over the last 10 years I have a very short list of movies that I really like.

Edited by Shift-4
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Monty said:

Yeah, for a movie that was far more style than substance, it might also have more substance than other movies in that category (ie: Michael Bay movies, etc). There was a story, one that "kind of" made sense for his tinnitus. That's always been what separates Edgar Wright from other filmmakers, he knows how to make a movie visually appealing, but separate it from other movies in the same genre. Even Scott Pilgrim was such a different take on what comic book films usually look like.

I've watched Baby Driver 4-5 times now, and each watch has been better than the last, especially once one is familiar with the songs and scenes. You start to see the amount of detail put into the directing and editing. The fact that actors blink in beat with the music, grab coffee mugs in beat. Every bit of the acting, background actors, car horns, etc are all done perfectly. That takes such a tremendous amount of planning and execution to not only get it right, but to sustain in a 2 hour movie.

I invested way, way too much money in my home theater system. But when I watch movies like Baby Driver, Mad Max Fury Road, LoTR, it reminds me of the phrase "movie magic". Baby Driver certainly isn't the peak of cinema, but it is truly something original, which appears to be something filmmakers are incapable of producing anymore. 

Agreed. Re-watched it recently with my wife seeing it for the first time and likewise appreciated all the little details and integration of the music in the movie.  Yes, it's 'just' basically a popcorn flick. But it's a hell of a lot more well done than the vast majority of that genre. 

I also spent too much on my HT...maybe that's the common thread in appreciating it :lol:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

Oeuf. Some bad self-plagiarism from Sorkin.

Lol

I'm a fan of Sorkin, with The Social Network being my favourite film from 2010-19.

That said, something tells me he won't win Best Screenplay for this one lol

The Final Girls

2015 "horror" comedy movie, which I only heard about a few days ago. While it's technically in the horror genre, there's nothing scary or gross about it.

Premise is, a girl (who's mother died 3 years earlier) and her friends are sucked into a campy horror movie (ala Friday the 13th) that was released 20 years earlier. Think, Last Action Hero. The twist here is that they have to survive the movie, which has now taken a twist and is more difficult to predict the ending, as their involvement as altered the version. What makes the character (main girl) more invested is that her mother who died was the star of the movie, so she gets to see her mother again, but a fictionalized version.

Was a lot of fun. A lot of famous people, too. Thomas Middleditch, Maeby (from Arrested Development), some other girl who's name I forgot, Taissa Farmiga. What's really, really unfortunate is that the movie was released 5 years ago, was setup perfectly for a sequel, but it doesn't look like one will come.

Was a blast.

finalgirls.thumb.png.8f535b8a1c14d079d864a859a635e3a8.png

2 hours ago, Psycho_Path said:

Watched The Other Guys again last night. Love that movie. One of my favorite action comedies (alongside Hollywood Homicide). So many great moments. 9/10

Agreed. I've seen it a few times now, and each time loved it. 

Best Will Farrell movie? Probably, IMO.

23 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Definitely the scariest movie ever. Saw it again with my family last night. Still 10/10.

0AEF4541-B3F0-4CBE-B854-7A0165E16447.jpeg

Really? As a whole I enjoy the conjuring series but I definitely wouldn't call this "The Scariest Movie Ever", not even close. I need to know what was particularly unsettling about it. I thought the scariest part of that movie was the 5 minute prologue with Annabelle, and they milked 3 spinoffs out of that. The rest of it created some decent atmosphere but was dragged down by a bunch of extremely predictable jumpscares.

5 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Really? As a whole I enjoy the conjuring series but I definitely wouldn't call this "The Scariest Movie Ever", not even close. I need to know what was particularly unsettling about it. I thought the scariest part of that movie was the 5 minute prologue with Annabelle, and they milked 3 spinoffs out of that. The rest of it created some decent atmosphere but was dragged down by a bunch of extremely predictable jumpscares.

Forbes magazine has an article about a group that tried to determine the scariest movie ever based on the heartbeats of a small sample group.  According to them, the "scariest movie ever was "Sinister".

https://www.forbes.com/sites/travisbean/2020/10/17/what-is-the-scariest-movie-ever-well-science-now-has-an-answer-to-that-question/?sh=24f1661956a2

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Social Dilemma

Can't say I really learned anything. Just nice to see people within the industry admit to this stuff. 
I really didn't care for the dramatization. Cringey and unnecessary. 

I don't want to hold the companies 100% liable. People need to understand their own behaviours and be accountable to themselves. So put the &^@#ing phones down!

• Vintage 1

Richard Jewell - 7/10

A good watch, very interesting story of which I didn't really know anything about. A good example of what still has not been corrected in our (i.e. the world's) media… Trial by media is still a massive issue and this was by all accounts an awful example of it. Great performances, too.

Unfinished Sky

2007 Australian drama. Wife and I were looking to watch a foreign film, and we came across this a few days ago while searching Amazon Prime. Never heard of it before, but it was worth the watch.

Long story short, Australian man lives on farmland and a mysterious Afghan woman shows up in the middle of the day, beaten and exhausted. Wouldn't go as far as to say it's a great movie, but it was worth watching, for sure. 

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.bdd2179beca1251cc727cfe64fbaf619.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic Mr. Fox - 8.5/10

(On Disney+)

This movie is pure joy. Huge fan of it, the quirkiness is right up my alley. But this time watched it this time with my kids (ages 8 & 6), and was surprised how much they liked it too. Had to explain what "what the cuss" meant though. ^_^

• Haha 3