The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Chicken saves family from house fire

dudeone

Published Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 7:50am EST | By Charlotte Grant-West

http://www.digitalspy.com/odd/news/a447594/chicken-saves-family-from-house-fire.html

A chicken has saved a family from a house fire.

Dennis Murawska and his wife were woken early in the morning at their home in Alma Center, Wisconsin, by their pet chicken Cluck Cluck.

A fire had started in the garage and their smoke detectors failed to w

ork.

At 6.15am yesterday (December 27), the couple fled the house before the fire reached them.

Firefighters later saved the chicken, who had alerted its owners with loud clucking from its cage in the basement two floors below.

"The chicken gets quite vocal when she gets excited," said Murawska.

Chief fireman of Alama Center told The AP: "We are used to hearing about a dog or cat or something, but we never heard of a chicken waking up a resident for a fire, that's pretty amazing."

Cluck Cluck came from a nearby farm and began wandering over to Murawska's house. His neighbor said he could kill it for meat because it had failed to produce eggs and had a mutated foot.

However, Murawska kept the chicken as a pet and built a coop. He and his wife even let it sleep in their basement on cold nights.

Murawska, 59, said: "I spent way more money than I ever should've. I guess it paid off."

Published Saturday, Dec 29 2012, 7:50am EST | By Charlotte Grant-West

http://www.digitalsp...house-fire.html

A chicken has saved a family from a house fire.

Dennis Murawska and his wife were woken early in the morning at their home in Alma Center, Wisconsin, by their pet chicken Cluck Cluck.

A fire had started in the garage and their smoke detectors failed to w

ork.

At 6.15am yesterday (December 27), the couple fled the house before the fire reached them.

Firefighters later saved the chicken, who had alerted its owners with loud clucking from its cage in the basement two floors below.

"The chicken gets quite vocal when she gets excited," said Murawska.

Chief fireman of Alama Center told The AP: "We are used to hearing about a dog or cat or something, but we never heard of a chicken waking up a resident for a fire, that's pretty amazing."

Cluck Cluck came from a nearby farm and began wandering over to Murawska's house. His neighbor said he could kill it for meat because it had failed to produce eggs and had a mutated foot.

However, Murawska kept the chicken as a pet and built a coop. He and his wife even let it sleep in their basement on cold nights.

Murawska, 59, said: "I spent way more money than I ever should've. I guess it paid off."

Archived