The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Roberto Luongo Trade Thread 4.0

These are particularly interesting, I'm happy MG is pressing for Gardiner and Kadri, maybe Nonis will give in with additional pieces, then Ballard can be moved and we will have a replacement.

And I wonder who is out there in terms of backup goalies. The best ones probably wouldn't be avaliable to us but I wonder who might be avaliable.

I can't see Philly buying him out that's so much money going to nothing. Might as well have a heart and trade for a bag of pucks and donate whatever you were going to spend buying him out to hurricane sandy..

These business men wouldn't be where they are today if they made huge wreckless financial moves like that.

Good question Smass. I been wondering the same thing and went thru team rosters of approx half the teams. Couldn't put my finger on who we could trade with for a backup.

I would have loved to have Vokoun as the backup but he signed with PITT in the summer.

Edit. IMO the backup would have to be a veteran goalie. Not a young guy to backup up Schneider.

Question 3: Why do you ask?

JVR has played center in the past, just not in the NHL. He was actually rumoured to maybe be tried at center for the Leafs, although Carlyle has said he won't play him there to start the season.

Hartnell, I doubt it, but they have Briere, Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Talbot and Rinaldo all on their team who can play center, so I don't think they're looking to see if Hartnell can take a faceoff.

Good question Smass. I been wondering the same thing and went thru team rosters of approx half the teams. Couldn't put my finger on who we could trade with for a backup.

I would have loved to have Vokoun as the backup but he signed with PITT in the summer.

Edit. IMO the backup would have to be a veteran goalie. Not a young guy to backup up Schneider.

I was hoping Giguire was available as a FA. He would be a great mentor to bring Schneider to the next level. Stanley Cup champ, played well when Varlamov was out and seems to have accepted the back up role. Also he would probably love another shot at the cup even if its from the bench. I don't see Colorado giving him up though

There is a lot of talk about Bozak, Kadri, Gardiner, Couturier, etc. Although the Canucks have an immediate need for a 2nd line center, I believe it is short term. When Kesler is back in the lineup, the new 2nd line center quickly becomes the 3rd line center. I think we have a pretty good 3rd line center in Lapierre.

I don't see Bozak or Kadri as stars or even potential stars. That's a poor return for an elite player, which Luongo is. If the Canucks trade a star, a star, or at least a very high quality player should be coming back.

Gardiner has big potential but isn't a great fit with the logjam it would create at D and is one of very few good players the Leafs have. Couturier is a very good player who would fit very well here but I just don't see prying him loose from Philly.

Hence the question about JVR. He has high end potential, is a big body, can play wing or center on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd lines. I think he would be an awesome fit.

The question about Hartnell is only a conversation starter. I think he's a great player and he would provide something that the Canucks don't have enough of. I like players in the Neely, Roberts, Shanahan, Nolan, Brindamour, Tocchet etc mold,

And adding Luongo in place of dipietro only adds the the cap hit, so how can u say that's an issue when your deal just increases the problem.

Your missing the point anyways, there is no chance they are going to pay that price to ditch Dipietro's contract...

I was hoping Giguire was available as a FA. He would be a great mentor to bring Schneider to the next level. Stanley Cup champ, played well when Varlamov was out and seems to have accepted the back up role. Also he would probably love another shot at the cup even if its from the bench. I don't see Colorado giving him up though

Archived