The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[question] 9 game tryout.

So I was thinking about a condensed 48 game season and was thinking..

Does the 9 games available to players on Sliding contracts still work?

If so I propose that maybe slotting Gaunce and Corrado into the first 9 games of the season. If the same rules apply as I understand them, they would not lose a year off of their contracts and it would help keep some stamina to our forwards and D allowing rotating players a day to recover for the trials of getting into shape for the beginning of a season. Players, although working out, have not been playing NHL hockey for a long time so I think slotting these two in and allowing players to rest between games may be beneficial to the team now more than ever.

So say

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler(if available), booth, higgins, raymond, manny, lappy, weise, hansen, kassian, volpatti and Gaunce as our 13 forwards.

bieksa, hamhuis, edler, garrison, alberts, tanev, ballard, corrado as our 8 defense

+ 2 goalies

That is a 23 player roster. Allow gaunce + corrado to play in the first few games while rotating Tanev, alberts and ballard as well as allowing gaunce to suit up for kesler for the first few games and see how they do, even if they do not perform great, we have a stacked team that can pick up the slack and it will be a great way to judge the readiness of two of our heralded prospects.

just a thought.

ps. ebbett and joslin/sauve/connauton would be called up as soon as their 9 games were finished.

I think Jensen will more than likely get 9 games as well.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Jensen - Gaunce - Kassian

Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

Raymond, Schroeder

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts, Corrado, Sauve, Connauton

Schneider

Luongo

If both Jensen and Gaunce are ready this team really has no weakness.

I think Jensen will more than likely get 9 games as well.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Booth - Kesler - Higgins

Jensen - Gaunce - Kassian

Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

Raymond, Schroeder

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Edler - Garrison

Ballard - Tanev

Alberts, Corrado, Sauve, Connauton

Schneider

Luongo

If both Jensen and Gaunce are ready this team really has no weakness.

All NHL teams provided a list of players they could potentially call up if there were a season this year. This was done as an exception to allow those players to go back to the CHL and still come back. The only one we listed was Corrado so Gaunce will stay in Belleville this season.

From there the 9 game rule would still apply, so if we keep Corrado up and he plays more than 9 games, he automatically burns a year of his deal - regardless of if we send him back after that or not.

All NHL teams provided a list of players they could potentially call up if there were a season this year. This was done as an exception to allow those players to go back to the CHL and still come back. The only one we listed was Corrado so Gaunce will stay in Belleville this season.

From there the 9 game rule would still apply, so if we keep Corrado up and he plays more than 9 games, he automatically burns a year of his deal - regardless of if we send him back after that or not.

yeah I do remember something being said about Corrado being the only minor league player being called up, I do hope he gets his 9 games regardless. The team has really been missing RH players up to this point and Bieksa, Corrado, Tanev could be a nice compliment to hamhuis, Edler, Garrison, Ballard, Alberts, maybe even painting a picture for what the future entails for vancouver's D.

Unless corrado is 99% mistake free during camp he won't see any NHL time this year.

He's got alot of guys to beat for a job and he has to be not just a little better, but wayyyy better. We want to groom our dmen into the best possible players they can be, there's no reason to rush them.

The only players I could see sticking are Schroeder and Kass. Maybe Jensen as he really impressed me in camp before.

Gaunce and corrado are the kind of players you want to finish their junior careers, get a couple years in the ahl and really fine tune their game before making the jump. They aren't impact players that are going to step in and make a difference. They need to play all situations, make mistakes and learn from them. Throwing them into a multi million dollar organization with fan pressure and all that is not the way to do that. Its ruined alot of players over the years

So I was thinking about a condensed 48 game season and was thinking..

Does the 9 games available to players on Sliding contracts still work?

If so I propose that maybe slotting Gaunce and Corrado into the first 9 games of the season. If the same rules apply as I understand them, they would not lose a year off of their contracts and it would help keep some stamina to our forwards and D allowing rotating players a day to recover for the trials of getting into shape for the beginning of a season. Players, although working out, have not been playing NHL hockey for a long time so I think slotting these two in and allowing players to rest between games may be beneficial to the team now more than ever.

So say

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows, Kesler(if available), booth, higgins, raymond, manny, lappy, weise, hansen, kassian, volpatti and Gaunce as our 13 forwards.

bieksa, hamhuis, edler, garrison, alberts, tanev, ballard, corrado as our 8 defense

+ 2 goalies

That is a 23 player roster. Allow gaunce + corrado to play in the first few games while rotating Tanev, alberts and ballard as well as allowing gaunce to suit up for kesler for the first few games and see how they do, even if they do not perform great, we have a stacked team that can pick up the slack and it will be a great way to judge the readiness of two of our heralded prospects.

just a thought.

ps. ebbett and joslin/sauve/connauton would be called up as soon as their 9 games were finished.

Archived