The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shortened Season No Luongo Trade

I've been reading several threads discussing the potential of either buying out Luo or trading him, if and when, the reduced season starts; due to already worked trade deals or new CBA provisions.

If any of you think that Luo is getting traded with 48 games to play, flat out, your dreaming. How does anyone think a trade would be beneficial to the team at this point? A reduced scheduled and the likelihood of a playoff run, requires this team to be loaded from the top down. Reduced schedule, no goalie burnout, plus we haven't seen what Schneider can do when the pressure of starting is on his shoulders; do you really want to throw away the best goaltending tandem in the NHL for HALF A SEASON!!!

Luo's trade value won't crash dramatically from now to the beginning of next season so what's the rush in moving a potentially crucial asset for the playoffs.

I hope Luo stays, gets a cup here, and moves on to a city that appreciates him more.

P.S. If anyone thinks Schneider is the answer and is ready for the season, you obviously haven't seen the Kane goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7bSuDvlsuc

I realize that Lou is an elite goalie but those games in Boston and game 7 here made me lose faith. Yes Hamhuis was gone, and others were hurt, but he let in a lot bad goal in that series. A lot. I was supporter for a long time, and think he could win a cup somewhere else...but he has cost the team too many times and they are obviously behind Corey now.

I also feel this way about Edler. Yes, he hits hard...but way too many giveaways that lead to goals. Boston series and LA were both terrible and with his injuries...it might be a good idea to move on there too.

Kane is possibly the best shootout dangler in the game behind datsyuk so him scoring a shootout goal doesn't mean a lot. I do agree they should keep luongo unless a team offers a good package that gillis can't refuse. Always have and always will be a luongo fan.

Did we not go to the finals and have Lou / Schneids share the Jennings trophy after this goalie coaching change? Maybe he wants to return to a different style to max out his potential, but it seems he also adjusted pretty well and been a superb goalie throughout...

The critique is breakdowns, or not bringing his A game, at critical moments. That has happened throughout his career dating back to the WJC's and including two separate Chicago series and of course the finals. He was also being outplayed against LA. Can you tell me where those breakdowns related to mis management?

And all signs point to mental breakdowns. Lou was playing great against Beantown, but got distracted by his tires not being pumped and threw up a stinker. Just one example.

That fragility is a Lou issue not a management one IMO.

I still think Luongo is the better goalie, but Schneider is a close second.

Luongo has been horribly mismanaged his whole time here. From playing him too many games, to the whole captaincy debaucle, to hiring a goalie coach to completely change his style at age 31.

I think he can get back to being an elite goaltender. Unfortunately it might not happen here. I think he'll go to another market and Canucks fans will remember how great he was.

I don't think we are going to play off the value of both goalies.

We can fit Lou under the cap this year. So odd are we will get more now than in the summer when we can't and our choice is trade him or buy him out.

I'm not overstressed; I think we will still get a good prospect or pick for him in the summer. Ultimately we want future help for cap relief!

But I am in win now mode, and believe we should be. In a shortened season Lou can help us. So no sense acting in desperation. Our problem is we have more critical roles in other positions to fill than we did in our finals year. We make a deal if we get rentals that make us a serious contender added to the futures.

Teams will simply have to offer that up to give themselves the leg up in securing him.

I have supported the idea of keeping both goalies for a shortened season if we can't find a good enough offer for Luongo. Maybe both will have higher value at the end of the season if you know what I mean ;)

ANSWER: No

But what I am trying to point out is that everyone seems to make Schneider out to be some superhero when in reality, he is simply good, not great. I haven't seen brilliance in net from Schneider like I have at different points with Luo. The Kane goal is there to show how human he really can be, cause quite frankly Kane made him look silly. He didn't even TRY to put out the glove...

I still think Luongo is the better goalie, but Schneider is a close second.

Luongo has been horribly mismanaged his whole time here. From playing him too many games, to the whole captaincy debaucle, to hiring a goalie coach to completely change his style at age 31.

I think he can get back to being an elite goaltender. Unfortunately it might not happen here. I think he'll go to another market and Canucks fans will remember how great he was.

Did we not go to the finals and have Lou / Schneids share the Jennings trophy after this goalie coaching change? Maybe he wants to return to a different style to max out his potential, but it seems he also adjusted pretty well and been a superb goalie throughout...

The critique is breakdowns, or not bringing his A game, at critical moments. That has happened throughout his career dating back to the WJC's and including two separate Chicago series and of course the finals. He was also being outplayed against LA. Can you tell me where those breakdowns related to mis management?

And all signs point to mental breakdowns. Lou was playing great against Beantown, but got distracted by his tires not being pumped and threw up a stinker. Just one example.

That fragility is a Lou issue not a management one IMO.

Luongo won the Jennings with the most stacked D-core this team has ever seen. With the D we had, a goalie just had to be good, not great.

And as for Luongo being fragile. Seems to me he was never fragile until after we made him captain. Which was probably the single worst mistake Gillis has made in his time here. There's a reason why you don't make a goalie captain. These guys have enough pressure on them, they don't need the media coming to them after every game and taking responsibility for a loss. Add to the fact he was playing in a hockey crazed city like Vancouver, and that's when you get mental breakdowns.

With a fresh start, Luongo will be able to shake off al the garbage this city has dumped on him ovger the years, and just play.

I'm pretty sure if they drop the salary cap in this instance, the individual player salaries will be cut by the same proportion so make it more feasible to sign all (or almost all) the players they had before. I'm not saying it won't be a difficult job of signing and negotiating, but they will have safeguards in place for this type of situation!

I'm pretty sure if they drop the salary cap in this instance, the individual player salaries will be cut by the same proportion so make it more feasible to sign all (or almost all) the players they had before. I'm not saying it won't be a difficult job of signing and negotiating, but they will have safeguards in place for this type of situation!

He absolutely said as much after the season. It was indirect, but it does not take a genius to put two and two together.

And then said specifically it was time to move on in his interview with the two radio jocks at the poker tourney in Vegas. In other related news reported in this interview; Lou is not a fan of guys peeing in the shower.

"Any chance in hell you will be in a Vancouver jersey next year?" "Well, I will never say never, but we can all see what is going on!" "At the end of the day its time to move on, and I'm OK with that!"

We'll miss Lou. He clearly is a cool guy, I'd even call him a stand up guy. And more personable and funny than given credit for.

Lou never said he didn't want to be here. He said if the team wanted to go in a different direction he'd waive the clause. There is a difference.

Archived