The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Shortened Season No Luongo Trade

I've been reading several threads discussing the potential of either buying out Luo or trading him, if and when, the reduced season starts; due to already worked trade deals or new CBA provisions.

If any of you think that Luo is getting traded with 48 games to play, flat out, your dreaming. How does anyone think a trade would be beneficial to the team at this point? A reduced scheduled and the likelihood of a playoff run, requires this team to be loaded from the top down. Reduced schedule, no goalie burnout, plus we haven't seen what Schneider can do when the pressure of starting is on his shoulders; do you really want to throw away the best goaltending tandem in the NHL for HALF A SEASON!!!

Luo's trade value won't crash dramatically from now to the beginning of next season so what's the rush in moving a potentially crucial asset for the playoffs.

I hope Luo stays, gets a cup here, and moves on to a city that appreciates him more.

P.S. If anyone thinks Schneider is the answer and is ready for the season, you obviously haven't seen the Kane goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7bSuDvlsuc

If its a shortened season, nothing has changed. The same reasons for getting rid of Luongo still exist. Its illogical to spend that kind of money on a backup goaltender when we know damn well the cash could be used to shore up holes elsewhere in the lineup. When the playoffs come, we can have $5.33 mil sitting on the bench doing absolutely nothing for us or we can pick up a key player that can be used every game.

You also can't ignore that with everything that's happened, there is no way Luongo is going to want to remain in Vancouver as a backup goalie. He's still a very proud individual and he won't like the idea of being put on the backburner during the prime of his career.

It's because of the condensed schedule. There would be more games in a smaller time frame than normal which would be tiring on a goalie. So having 2 capable starters would be a huge advantage for us over teams with only 1 good goalie.

Sure, a trade for the right players could help us, but many people seem to think we'll trade him for peanuts or just buy him out, which would be a lot worse than keeping him this season.

I think a lot of people are missing the point, its not simply about getting scored on, its how badly he was out played, back and forth hoping to get lucky, as opposed to being aggressive and confident like we've seen with Luo.

Schneider's confidence is my main concern, regardless of what people say or do, he is unproven and was spoon-fed games last season with the anticipation of trading him in the off season (the goalie switch wasnt something in consideration until after the playoffs).

Cory played against big name teams with LOOOTTTSSS of rest in between and most likely advance notice he would be playing in order to prepare mentally and physically and give him the best chance at showing. Not the same as carrying a team through an entire season like Luo had been doing.

My opinion: Schneider has a lot of growing pains to grow through as a starter and the Canucks and the fans are going to go through those pains with him.

I think a lot of people are missing the point, its not simply about getting scored on, its how badly he was out played, back and forth hoping to get lucky, as opposed to being aggressive and confident like we've seen with Luo.

Schneider's confidence is my main concern, regardless of what people say or do, he is unproven and was spoon-fed games last season with the anticipation of trading him in the off season (the goalie switch wasnt something in consideration until after the playoffs).

Cory played against big name teams with LOOOTTTSSS of rest in between and most likely advance notice he would be playing in order to prepare mentally and physically and give him the best chance at showing. Not the same as carrying a team through an entire season like Luo had been doing.

My opinion: Schneider has a lot of growing pains to grow through as a starter and the Canucks and the fans are going to go through those pains with him.

At least not since the organization tried to customize his style and take him out of his realm. Let him play, then we'll see.

If he stays this season I bet he'll play stellar knowing that he is gone by next year for sure!

Who is going the other way on the trade if we trade him. All of you lou lovers were saying before that Cory would never hold up in a 82 game season, now it's that he can't because the season is too short? Ok I'm getting lost. I think that a trade for the right players would help us more then Lou on the bench, others may agree.

Did we not go to the finals and have Lou / Schneids share the Jennings trophy after this goalie coaching change? Maybe he wants to return to a different style to max out his potential, but it seems he also adjusted pretty well and been a superb goalie throughout...

The critique is breakdowns, or not bringing his A game, at critical moments. That has happened throughout his career dating back to the WJC's and including two separate Chicago series and of course the finals. He was also being outplayed against LA. Can you tell me where those breakdowns related to mis management?

And all signs point to mental breakdowns. Lou was playing great against Beantown, but got distracted by his tires not being pumped and threw up a stinker. Just one example.

That fragility is a Lou issue not a management one IMO.

Now that the game is back on, I have a question.

The entire sports world seems to think that Schneider is number 1 and Luongo is the backup.

When has any official statement been released by the Canucks organization stating that?

Just because Schneider started the last few games of the Kings series is not an official statement.

We still lost that series.

Now that the game is back on, I have a question.

The entire sports world seems to think that Schneider is number 1 and Luongo is the backup.

When has any official statement been released by the Canucks organization stating that?

Just because Schneider started the last few games of the Kings series is not an official statement.

We still lost that series.

There is clearly no obvious reason to move Luongo if we don't get a good offer.

Splitting games or going with the hot goalie for a compressed season gives us a huge advantage. A short training camp means that every team is going to lose players early to things like groin pulls. Goalies especially.

It is preferable to have him move and get something valuable, but no problem doing that in July either.

Archived