The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap problems for 2013/14 season

Ossi Vaananen

Alright gents, as thrilled as I'm sure we all are with the CBA being signed, it also creates an inevitable cap problem for the Canucks in the 2013/14 season.

The amnesty buyout is likely to be used on one of or both of Booth/Ballard. With the cap being 64.3m next year, the Canucks currently have 13 players signed on for 60.2m in cap. We need about 9-10 guys with the remaining 4m in cap space, this also includes Malholtra/Raymond not being extended, and Edler being unsigned. So then one of Booth/Ballard being bought out gives us either 4.2 or 4.5m to work with. Assuming we buy out Ballard and risk losing defensive depth, that gives us a 56m cap hit with 12 players signed.

The first thing that needs to be done is extending Edler. I'll ball park it and say MG manages to get Edler on contract for around a 5m cap hit. That increases the cap to 61m with 13 players signed. Notable players not signed include: Raymond, Malholtra, Tanev, Lapierre, and Higgins.

At this point, one has to wonder what is being done with Luongo's 5.3m cap hit. If (ideally) we were to deal Luongo with no cap hit coming back (just prospects), it would free up another 5.3m while bringing our roster to 12 players. We now need to either promote prospects to regular roles or sign 10 players.

Roster at this point:

Sedin (6.1) - Sedin (6.1) - Burrows (4.5)

Booth (4.5) - Kesler (5) - Hansen (1.35)

________ - ________- Kassian (.87)

________ - ________- ________

________

Hamhuis (4.5) - Bieksa (4.6)

Edler (5) - Garrison (4.6)

_______ - _______

_______

Schneider (4)

Lack (.9) - one way deal signed for 13/14

As you can see, we're missing 6 bottom 6 forwards, and 3 defencemen (I took the liberty of promoting Lack considering his one way for next season). This roster has a 52.1m cap hit with 13 players signed.

Players I think that must be extended are Tanev, Lapierre, and Higgins. Let's assume these players get the minimum raise of 10%, up from each of their previous deals. That would mean Lapierre would make 1.1m, Higgins 2.2m, and Tanev 1m. This would mean 4.3m from these 3 players, to bring our cap hit to 56.4m, with 15 players signed.

Roster at this point:

Higgins (2.2) - Lapierre (1.1)- Kassian (.87)

________

_______ - Tanev (1)

_______

Schneider (4)

Lack (.9)

In addition to the above roster, prospects such as Schroeder (1.2), Connauton (.9), Jensen (.9) could theoretically make the roster.

As you can see it's actually quite workable to fill out the remaining depth spots while still being under the cap. I have assumed a lot in this post, mainly that the Luongo return wouldn't bring us any cap, and that we would buy out Ballard. I'm not entirely comfortable with our defensive depth at this point, nor that Lack could handle back up duties.

If Luongo wasn't traded (or an equivalent cap hit comes back), then adding the 5.3m of his deal brings the cap to 61.7 with 15 players. That becomes a much more difficult scenario to fit under the cap with 22/23 players.

Im trying to make a capgeek thing, It wont let me edit player salaries. But I really see no problem for next year, the lineup I made has us under the cap with extra forwards and Dmen.

Im going to edit this with the lineup once I figure this out.

Bah.. doing it manually..

Sedin (6.1) Sedin(6.1) Burrows(4.5)

Booth (4.2) Kesler (5) Kassian (870k)

Higgins (2.1) Lappy (1.2) Hansen (1.35)

Volpatti (600k) pinizzotto(600k) Weise(615k)

Ebbet (600k) schroeder (1.1)

Hamhuis (4.5) Bieksa(4.6)

Edler (4.5) Garrison(4.6)

Ballard (4.2) Tanev (1.2)

Alberts (1.225)

Schneider (4.0)

Lack (750k)

Total 64.505 million 200k over cap with extra players including all raises and zero LTIR discounts.

You people are freaking over nothing, especially since next year we will probably be utilizing jensen at entry level deal. This will obviously completely change once we make any trades aswell.

I believe Malhotra will probably sign another contract for a discount, even with the injury he is a fantastic 4th line center with his size, faceoff skill, leadership, and enough grit+skill to remain in the lineup for 1 or 2 more years. I have said this before but I think he will be worth a 2 year contract in the offseason.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.600m) / Tough Center ($1.000m) / 4th Line Wing ($1.000m)

Spare ($1.000m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)

Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Alexander Edler ($5.000m)

6th Defencemen ($3.000m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Spare Defencemen ($0.600m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($4.000m)

Backup ($1.000m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,870,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,230,000

This works; can allocate a healthy 3 million into a 6th defencemen. Thoughts?

Alright gents, as thrilled as I'm sure we all are with the CBA being signed, it also creates an inevitable cap problem for the Canucks in the 2013/14 season.

The amnesty buyout is likely to be used on one of or both of Booth/Ballard. With the cap being 64.3m next year, the Canucks currently have 13 players signed on for 60.2m in cap. We need about 9-10 guys with the remaining 4m in cap space, this also includes Malholtra/Raymond not being extended, and Edler being unsigned. So then one of Booth/Ballard being bought out gives us either 4.2 or 4.5m to work with. Assuming we buy out Ballard and risk losing defensive depth, that gives us a 56m cap hit with 12 players signed.

The first thing that needs to be done is extending Edler. I'll ball park it and say MG manages to get Edler on contract for around a 5m cap hit. That increases the cap to 61m with 13 players signed. Notable players not signed include: Raymond, Malholtra, Tanev, Lapierre, and Higgins.

At this point, one has to wonder what is being done with Luongo's 5.3m cap hit. If (ideally) we were to deal Luongo with no cap hit coming back (just prospects), it would free up another 5.3m while bringing our roster to 12 players. We now need to either promote prospects to regular roles or sign 10 players.

Roster at this point:

________ - ________- Kassian (.87)

________

_______ - _______

_______

Schneider (4)

Lack (.9) - one way deal signed for 13/14

As you can see, we're missing 6 bottom 6 forwards, and 3 defencemen (I took the liberty of promoting Lack considering his one way for next season). This roster has a 52.1m cap hit with 13 players signed.

Players I think that must be extended are Tanev, Lapierre, and Higgins. Let's assume these players get the minimum raise of 10%, up from each of their previous deals. That would mean Lapierre would make 1.1m, Higgins 2.2m, and Tanev 1m. This would mean 4.3m from these 3 players, to bring our cap hit to 56.4m, with 15 players signed.

Roster at this point:

Higgins (2.2) - Lapierre (1.1)- Kassian (.87)

________

_______ - Tanev (1)

_______

Schneider (4)

Lack (.9)

In addition to the above roster, prospects such as Schroeder (1.2), Connauton (.9), Jensen (.9) could theoretically make the roster.

As you can see it's actually quite workable to fill out the remaining depth spots while still being under the cap. I have assumed a lot in this post, mainly that the Luongo return wouldn't bring us any cap, and that we would buy out Ballard. I'm not entirely comfortable with our defensive depth at this point, nor that Lack could handle back up duties.

If Luongo wasn't traded (or an equivalent cap hit comes back), then adding the 5.3m of his deal brings the cap to 61.7 with 15 players. That becomes a much more difficult scenario to fit under the cap with 22/23 players.

I would assume you can look at a left D coming off the books; either Ballard or Edler.

TWO LW are coming off the book, likely 3. I project Danny, Burrows and Jensen as a formidable top 3. Booth, Raymond, Higgins out. Not popular; but the correct management decision $11 mill plus...

Lou makes it nearly $16 mill...

Manny gives way to a rookie, $18.5!

That gives us plenty of room to fill a centre position, a right wing a right D and wingers to compliment Lapierre.

Danny/Hank/Kassian

Burrows/Kesler/______

Jensen/Schroeder/Hansen

_______/Lapierre/Archibald

Hamhuis/Bielsa

Edler/Garrison

______/Tanev

Now what is added at what cost in what deal; That's all in the fun folks, but there is only three key roster holes. Does anyone not believe we can in some combination get 3 young good and coming players from Ballard, Booth, possibly Edler, Lou?

Some of those cap min teams are going to see a veteran as an opportunity to jump into play off's (Hello St Louis, Carolina, Florida) which makes them, gasp, a profit! Teams in Edmonton, Philly, Calgary, Toronto will offer hockey trade options in bids to keep in the hunt.

I actually believe Ballard and another left D (Edler) will come off the books in favour of balancing the right side, and Garrison will resume his natural left side role.

Our cap scenario does not look that bad!

Daniel / Hank / Burrows

Raymond / Kesler / Hansen

Jensen / Gaunce / Kassian

Pinizotto / Lappiere / Weise

Higgins Ebbett

3rd and 4th line interchangable

Bieksa Hamhuis

Garrison Tanev

Franson Cannauton

Alberts

Schneider

Lack

Trade or buy out and get youth in the form of draft picks or prosoects: Luongo, Ballard, Booth

Our prospects have improved however we need better prospects because our prospects are at the bottom of the league. This will help to rebuild when the Sedins are ready to retire. Plus the sedins will need to infuse there work ethic into the future of the canucks organization.

Archived