The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] D man to the Islanders?

Its pretty obvious what the Islanders want (and need). From signing James Wisniewski, acquiring the rights to Christian Erhoff, trading for Lubomir Visnovsky, and then last year drafting 7 defensemen consecutively, they are desperate on the back end.

Wisniewski is gone, Erhoff refused to sign, and Visnovsky so desperatley doesn't want to play there he is staying in the KHL even while under contract.

The islanders have some good young d-men in Reinhart, Hamonic, and DeHaan, but it would be crazy to rely on them to lead the back end, especially if Mark Streit moves on when his contract is up this year.

As for the Canucks this leaves two interesting options.

1. The islanders might be one of a few teams that are interested in Keith Ballard, as he would be much more useful in a top 4 roll than he would be on the canucks. Or.....

2. Keep Ballard and increase his roll on the blueline, and send Edler to the Islanders if his contract demands are simply too rich for the Canucks.

If we moved Edler, the Islanders are rich with talent that could be coming back the other way including: Ryan Strome, Nino Niederreiter, Travis Hamonic, Calvin DeHaan, Josh Bailey, Griffin Reinhart, Brock Nelson, and Kiril Kabanov.

I'm only presenting this as an option if Edler proves too expensive to re-sign, as we would of course try to re-sign him first. Thoughts?

Its pretty obvious what the Islanders want (and need). From signing James Wisniewski, acquiring the rights to Christian Erhoff, trading for Lubomir Visnovsky, and then last year drafting 7 defensemen consecutively, they are desperate on the back end.

Wisniewski is gone, Erhoff refused to sign, and Visnovsky so desperatley doesn't want to play there he is staying in the KHL even while under contract.

The islanders have some good young d-men in Reinhart, Hamonic, and DeHaan, but it would be crazy to rely on them to lead the back end, especially if Mark Streit moves on when his contract is up this year.

As for the Canucks this leaves two interesting options.

1. The islanders might be one of a few teams that are interested in Keith Ballard, as he would be much more useful in a top 4 roll than he would be on the canucks. Or.....

2. Keep Ballard and increase his roll on the blueline, and send Edler to the Islanders if his contract demands are simply too rich for the Canucks.

If we moved Edler, the Islanders are rich with talent that could be coming back the other way including: Ryan Strome, Nino Niederreiter, Travis Hamonic, Calvin DeHaan, Josh Bailey, Griffin Reinhart, Brock Nelson, and Kiril Kabanov.

I'm only presenting this as an option if Edler proves too expensive to re-sign, as we would of course try to re-sign him first. Thoughts?

i wouldnt take the chance. i heard the last couple of teams he was on he didnt take things seriously. plus ive watched a couple of isles games. Hes basically another raymond with a better shot but not nearly as good defensively.

Ballard for anything we can get essentially. I'd be ecstatic if we could do Ballard for Ullstrom or Cizikas.

Ballard does make sense for the Isles. He still has top-four ability (just not in Vancouver), he's a defenseman, and he's under contract for a number of more years so he can't run away like the others!!

Archived