The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks showed interest in Tom Kostopoulos, Arnott to sign by end of week

elvis15

Yesterday:

Andy Strickland@andystrickland

Jason Arnott has recieved interest from a few clubs...will decide over next few days. Told hes fit and ready to go.

Doesn't appear he's coming to us, or I'd think we would have brought him to camp. It seems more likely we'll look to upgrade through trade, if we feel an upgrade is necessary. Might depend on Booth's MRI.

As a fan I'd like to see Arnott play a John Madden circa 2010-2011 for the Wild type season. Slightly less defensive ability, slightly more offense and a bigger body.

Interesting how after finishing with 31 points he earned a 2,000,000+ contract and now after a 34 point one, he is one of the last decent UFAs left.

Edit: The playoffs play a big influence, but still.. in a shortened season?

I'm not sold on Arnott. I think his numbers were 'opportune' in St Louis last year playing against weaker competition and getting a very high rate of offensive zone starts.

I would have rather signed Hecht, who's now off the market.

I think it's either the Luongo trade or Schroeder, Lappy, Malhotra, Ebbett, (Higgins) for now...

I would rather we gave up Booth+ for Ryane Clowe. A proven points scorer who has pummelled just about everyone in the league. In fact his first fight in the NHL as a rookie was a draw with Vandermeer.

Clowe would slot right into Booth's spot and could change places with Daniel when the going got physical for our top line. At 30 he is probably ready to come to a team like the Canucks who have a better shot at the SC than the Sharks.

I would rather we gave up Booth+ for Ryane Clowe. A proven points scorer who has pummelled just about everyone in the league. In fact his first fight in the NHL as a rookie was a draw with Vandermeer.

Clowe would slot right into Booth's spot and could change places with Daniel when the going got physical for our top line. At 30 he is probably ready to come to a team like the Canucks who have a better shot at the SC than the Sharks.

Yeah, but would Booth+ be enough for San Jose? Assuming that plus isn't much to give up since Clowe is a pending UFA but means a lot to San Jose, I'd consider it. San Jose might look to start a rebuild at some point around Couture and Burns, but they have a weak prospect pool.

And would he stick around for a reasonable price, or would he be just a rental? He does play well and would fit in our lineup, but Booth is two years younger and has 2 more years on his deal.

Would Pavelski be a better option for us?

EDIT: D-Money and I had the same idea, but the UFA status does make a difference to the deal since we're still offering a comparable return on a longer deal.

I'm not sold on Arnott. I think his numbers were 'opportune' in St Louis last year playing against weaker competition and getting a very high rate of offensive zone starts.

I would have rather signed Hecht, who's now off the market.

I think it's either the Luongo trade or Schroeder, Lappy, Malhotra, Ebbett, (Higgins) for now...

Archived