The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Burke Says He's Never Been Fired Before

Totally agree. Still Burke uses it as a technicality. The Canucks didn't want him back plain and simple. Toronto fired him. One came with a contract the other didn't. What's the diff Brian, you weren't wanted. You got your Stanley Cup on the cheap in Anaheim, you know that one too.

1. No renewed contract.

2. Fired

3. Cheap Stanley Cup

It's a tri-fecta the way I see it.

Also, no one really jumped in when he was fired and tried defending this guy did they? He's made a lot of enemies with his contemporaries, agents, media, fans and players. He then states that's what you get, I'm not changing and it's your fault if you didn't know what you were getting attitude. The guy doesn't accept one drop of responsibility for his own demise. It's everything else and every one else but not Brian Burke.

So hearing him state he's never been fired didn't surprise me because I already knew he's a snake oil salesman from listening to what he and Glen Sather promised the community their commitment to keeping WHL hockey in Chilliwack for the long haul then turning and running. A lot of people committed their money in Chilliwack on the premiss they were getting a long term commitment from Sather and Burke.

A lot of people in Chilliwack stood up and clapped the day , the only time, you ever got fired.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Burke when he was here (mainly because he stuck with Cloutier year after year) but he is a quality General Manager and will find another job with ease. When he was fired in Toronto and had his contract expire in Vancouver it was quite evident that his departure was due to personality conflicts with ownership groups who had not originally hired him.

He isn't afraid to make bold moves. Every team he has managed got better over the course of his tenure. Even his tenure with the Leafs, a failure as it is, the team is still remarkably better positioned than it was when he took the job.

I wasn't the biggest fan of Burke when he was here (mainly because he stuck with Cloutier year after year) but he is a quality General Manager and will find another job with ease. When he was fired in Toronto and had his contract expire in Vancouver it was quite evident that his departure was due to personality conflicts with ownership groups who had not originally hired him.

He isn't afraid to make bold moves. Every team he has managed got better over the course of his tenure. Even his tenure with the Leafs, a failure as it is, the team is still remarkably better positioned than it was when he took the job.

Archived