The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jim Vandermeer

Strombone1

Hopefully he can be the guy who will make forward players think twice before crashing the crease. It's been too long since we have had a nasty SOB protecting our crease.

I don't see hitting as a problem. Edler, Bieksa, Ballard, and Garrison can all throw big hits. Whether it be standing up players or throwing a hip check here or there.

What we need is some nastiness in front of our net, and someone who's willing to keep the other team from running around.

You have to go quite a while back to find a dman on the Canucks who will actually seek out others to fight. We have had a number of dmen who are willing to drop the gloves for a teammate, or who will drop the gloves when invited. Vandermeer is actually a relative heavyweight who will actively seek out someone to fight.

I like this signing

Garrison Edler

Hamhius Bieksa

Tanev Ballard

Alberts/Vandemeer

I don't get this part about him not being subject to waivers? If we send him down to the Wolves, I assume he still has to clear waivers, but no re-entry? Am I missing something?

With veterans promoting the unrestricted free agent defenceman, he was signed to a one-year, two-way deal Monday for $600,000 US at the NHL level and $275,000 in the minors. The 32-year-old Caroline, Alta. native is not subject to waivers and might want to buy those vocal supporters an adult beverage or two.

Archived