The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Jim Vandermeer

Strombone1

Don't forget that Vandermeer has played 4th line winger before. Could this be the roster that starts the season?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Schroeder-Kassian

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Vandermeer

Ebbett

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Edler

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts, Barker

And then the forward corps when Kesler returns:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Schroeder/Kassian

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Kassian/Vandermeer

Vandermeer/Ebbett

Another depth signing. Means that Ballard, Tanev, Alberts can't too comfortable in thinking they are locks to play. Competition and push at every position is a good dynamic to have.

Sign these depth guys now instead of trading away picks for depth at the deadline.

Apparently Canucks players lobbied Canucks management to sign Vandermeer. Kevin Bieksa is said to have taken the lead in this effort.

Vandermeer's wife is a local Vancouver girl so he's been staying is Vancouver and skating with the Canucks during lockout. He made a good impression on Bieksa and company. Bieksa said they spent time together away from the rink. He thinks Vandermeer is a real good guy and would make a great team mate.

Yes, me too. The winger you speak of does not need be a 1st or 2nd liner like many on CDC think. IMO that winger could to be a 3rd or 4th liner who is a tough SOB. That would complete the team. Obviously a top 6 would be preferable but that would cost a good player off the roster going the other way.

Kesler will be back sooner than later. I don't think he's as far away from returning as most on CDC think.

Don't forget that Vandermeer has played 4th line winger before. Could this be the roster that starts the season?

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Schroeder-Kassian

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Vandermeer

Ebbett

Hamhuis-Bieksa

Garrison-Edler

Ballard-Tanev

Alberts, Barker

And then the forward corps when Kesler returns:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Booth-Kesler-Schroeder/Kassian

Higgins-Lapierre-Hansen

Weise-Malhotra-Kassian/Vandermeer

Vandermeer/Ebbett

Apparently Canucks players lobbied Canucks management to sign Vandermeer. Kevin Bieksa is said to have taken the lead in this effort.

Vandermeer's wife is a local Vancouver girl so he's been staying is Vancouver and skating with the Canucks during lockout. He made a good impression on Bieksa and company. Bieksa said they spent time together away from the rink. He thinks Vandermeer is a real good guy and would make a great team mate.

I am so happy about this signing. I know Vandermeer is no Willy Mitchell, but he can clear the crease. Something we haven't had since Willy left.

And having someone who can also police the way Vandermeer can, is worth having on this team. Way ahead of Tanevs or Barkers.

We lost a shot at the stanley cup last year because D. Sedin was out, and if we have a deterrent out there, it makes a real difference.

I just hope AV and Vandermeer can get along. :)

Archived