The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The unappreciated Tanev

needtogetswole

You don't hear his name a lot as he doesn't screw up defensively or light it up offensively.

Almost always, whenever he is mentioned, it is about his smart play and composure.

So, I would agree he isn't a big topic but would disagree that he he is unappreciated.

Someone on 1040 called him our best defenceman....at least this far into the season. And I'd have to agree.

As far as pure defense, he IS the best. He just does not panic, and he knows when to fire it hard and when to use a soft touch just to bump the puck to a team mate. He knows how to steer off and contain even bigger forwards. His techniques of defending in hockey are comparable to Schneider's grasp on the techniques in goal.

I'd like to see what he could do with a top 4 partner. Right now he plays with Ballard, who I think is somewhat ruined by AV's personal dislike of him for some reason. Keith is scared to death of leading a rush up the ice, even though this used to be more his style and could help the team, because he knows if the puck ends up going the other way and into the net he'll be benched. So he's playing nervous and he is just lucky that Tanev is his partner and able to cover up his bad plays. Its painful watching Ballard trying his hardest to play defensive like Tanev, because the coach doesn't trust him to be offensive minded. Instead they could compliment each other, like Hamhuis does with Bieksa.

I hope MG realizes what he has and does not wait for the Summer and then low-ball him. Some other team might just realize the gem we have and snatch him away. He will hopefully get re-signed before the year is out.

He's just so composed at such a young age. He like never makes mistakes. At the age of 23, he is able to make a guy like Ballard not a defensive liability.

He doesn't throw hits, but I don't recall him ever getting manhandled.

If he can play more minutes, he could be a serious shutdown d-man for us for the next 10 years. All at a low cap hit because he's small, doesn't hit, and doesn't provide any offense.

He's quietly efficient, and doesn't get a ton of attention because he doesn't hit or produce offense. But he's reasonably young, has poise beyond his years, and still has room to grow into his respectable frame.

If he's able to pack on more muscle he could really be something. He's still got a lot of room to improve.

Archived