The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars Episode 7

Wetcoaster

/\

Agree about Abrams. Especially as a writer.

Anyone connected with the making of Armageddon is going to carry some long-lasting question marks in my books.

But as a director, the Star Trek reboot has been a home run.

Armageddon is its own mess, but Super 8 is a perfect example of Abrams' vision. He wrote it, directed it, and produced it. It is HIS movie. And for me, the first 30 minute chunk is great, but only because it was so heavily a copy of a good formula. But then it just absolutely turns into this explosion fest that is borderline unwatchable. I haven't seen Star Trek, as it just seems like it's another loud spectacle type movie. I dunno, maybe I should give it a chance

Michael Arndt, on the other hand, is at the top of his game RIGHT NOW. I am really curious as to why he's no longer with the project and what the "re-write" actually means. Did they keep his story? Did they change everything? Whose story is it, etc.

I get the feeling that the script Arndt handed in was probably excellent but was maybe too subtle and lacked the mass appeal they are going for so they "punched it up" a bit, or a lot. I can picture Abrams reading it and saying "Needs more lense flare".

JJ Abrams' Star Trek (2009) took lense flare to brave new levels never before seen in film. continuous multiflare and halo effects going ALL THE TIME. He expanded on it with Into Darkness. 82 lense flairs counted in the original 1 minute trailer for the film. So more than 1 per second. Can he top that with Star Wars?

lens_flare.jpg

Armageddon is its own mess, but Super 8 is a perfect example of Abrams' vision. He wrote it, directed it, and produced it. It is HIS movie. And for me, the first 30 minute chunk is great, but only because it was so heavily a copy of a good formula. But then it just absolutely turns into this explosion fest that is borderline unwatchable. I haven't seen Star Trek, as it just seems like it's another loud spectacle type movie. I dunno, maybe I should give it a chance

Super 8 was pretty good for what it was. As far as spectacles go, the train crash was fun to see in the theatre.

I had no hopes whatsoever for the new Star Trek. Thought the previews looked like "The OC in Space". But it turned out to be a favourite of mine.

Into Darkness not quite as good, but still a cut above most other movies of its kind.

Guest Gumballthechewy

I haven't seen Star Trek, as it just seems like it's an action movie. I dunno, maybe I should give it a chance

Fixed that for you. :P

• 2 months later...

1075454_736620193056251_5192269333816421
http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-7-cast-announced.html

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer. The movie opens worldwide on December 18, 2015.

That has been my biggest issue with modern movies. Good to hear.

True, everything looks like a damn cartoon these days.

I like Lord of the rings because they acted in a physical Shire or Helms deep so the added CGI worked well but watching actors flail in front of a green screen has long lost any appeal to me.

I like Lord of the rings because they acted in a physical Shire or Helms deep so the added CGI worked well but watching actors flail in front of a green screen has long lost any appeal to me.

Thats because most movies use the CGI as a crutch instead of actually having a decent script and actors. Sin City (2005) was entirely Green screened but it was so well written, directed and acted that it went unnoticed. But that was highly stylized as well. Watchmen (2009) might be a better example.

The more real sets used the better IMO.

Archived