The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Cox: Becoming difficult to imagine a scenario in which Kessel remains a Leaf.

Kessel is a game breaker and a pure scoring threat that we lack. I've never thought of him as a top line player, but i think he will be a great complimentary player for the Sedins and Kesler.

Im saying we get him, but if he is offered for Luongo, i'd do it. He's only 25, he's a 30-35 goal a season guy.

Kessel is a game breaker and a pure scoring threat that we lack. I've never thought of him as a top line player, but i think he will be a great complimentary player for the Sedins and Kesler.

Im saying we get him, but if he is offered for Luongo, i'd do it. He's only 25, he's a 30-35 goal a season guy.

Fan Fuel blog:

In Cox's opinion, the kind of package general manager Dave Nonis should look for is similar to what the Blue Jackets received at the deadline for Jeff Carter, then 27, when he went to the L.A. Kings for 25-year-old defenceman Jack Johnson and a first-round pick.

Cox is a dweeb but I can't disagree with him on this one.

I'm not a fan of Kessel - yeah he scores goals but he also gets tailored minutes and more offensive zone starts than all Leafs regulars but Gardiner and Lupul. He managed a mediocre relative corsi of 3.2. The year before an unimpressive -2.2 while facing weaker quality of competition than the majority of Leafs. Don't like his play without the puck at all, to say the least. Would not be happy to see this guy in a Canucks uniform, but see virtually no chance of that happening anyhow.

I agree that the Leafs should flip him asap for some young talent, and do the same with Phaneuf. Turn the page and upgrade your leadership group.

Cox is a dweeb but I can't disagree with him on this one.

I'm not a fan of Kessel - yeah he scores goals but he also gets tailored minutes and more offensive zone starts than all Leafs regulars but Gardiner and Lupul. He managed a mediocre relative corsi of 3.2. The year before an unimpressive -2.2 while facing weaker quality of competition than the majority of Leafs. Don't like his play without the puck at all, to say the least. Would not be happy to see this guy in a Canucks uniform, but see virtually no chance of that happening anyhow.

I agree that the Leafs should flip him asap for some young talent, and do the same with Phaneuf. Turn the page and upgrade your leadership group.

Cox's timely scheming is likely geared hoping that they can unload this over-rated strangelove - who may score 37 goals but will cost 47 with his floating - for a guy who will plain and simple prevent goals at a rate the Leafs haven't seen in a long time.

No thanks.

You've made some good points. Kessel is overrated. But perhaps he is overrated because he's been in over his head in Toronto. Burke paid a high price to get him, and he's been their only star for the past few years. They've expected him to be a franchise player, which he clearly isn't.

I'd like to see what he could do surrounded by a deep and talented group of forwards like the Canucks have. He'd be sheltered alongside Kesler. His weaknesses would be masked and his strengths would be augmented.

He is what the Canucks need most: a guy other than the Sedins and Kesler who can be counted on to score. Finally the merry-go-round of middle-six wingers could stop.

You may have a point or two, but is Kesler going to feed him the puck? Between Booth and Kessel, that would seem like a whole lotta playmaking required out of Kesler, which isn't imo his strong suit. Not sure that's a very good fit. I like the idea of Schroeder on Kesler's wing more - speedy, intent youngster who isn't vacant when he's not shooting the puck, and has playmaking abilities that could suit Booth and Kesler - also an affordable, homegrown ELC as opposed to 5.4 million of questionably used cap space.

Archived